|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is calling on Kelly's cell phone when she is on her way home in "December Kelly"?
2. How does Mimi react when she finds the DVD's?
3. What news does Richard tell Ayinde when she returns home from lunch?
4. How does Sam answer Lia's question?
5. Who is Lia waiting on when she sees Merrill in the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Kelly struggles in "December Kelly" with raising the baby and working.
2. Lia calls her mother at the end of the "January Kelly" with the intent of asking her to meet her so she can forgive her and let her know it. How does Lia's mother turn the tables?
3. What is Kelly trying to do by not letting Steve help even when he offers?
4. How does the readers' perception of Steve change in "January Kelly"?
5. Lia sees that the babies are growing and changing and Becky remarks that they all have changed. How does this comment mimic the theme and title of the story?
6. Explain how the title of the story has a double meaning.
7. One of the main themes of the book is forgiveness. How is that played out in "February Becky"?
8. How does the author foreshadow the disaster of the magazine interview?
9. Starting with "November Lia," tell how Lia is beginning to appear on the road to recovery.
10. How does the interview in "January Kelly" depict Kelly's entire life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the midst of personal troubles, Becky's friends have difficulty finding ways that their lives are blessed and how they are fortunate. In particular, Kelly tends to be scornful when people call her lucky. But, towards the end of the story, she starts to realize how blessed and fortunate she is. How does motherhood tend to put things into perspective for Becky? What does Becky learn from her friends?
Essay Topic 2
Ayinde's life changes dramatically when she has her baby. One of the main ways it dramatically changes her life is it forces her to quit her career because of her husband's celebrity status. How does Ayinde's sense of self change after her marriage and the baby? Do you think Ayinde makes choices for her and her baby that she would have not made if she was still working? Why / why not? How is Ayinde's relationship with her husband and baby affected by her decision not to further pursue her career at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)