|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tiffany ask Ayinde?
2. How is Kelly feeling as she watches Steve and Oliver at the Wee Ones Music Class?
3. What does Becky tell Ayinde in "October Ayinde?"
4. What happens when the photographer opens the closet?
5. Where does Kelly meet Steve so that they can talk in "February Kelly"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ayinde implement what she learned from her parents in her childhood: that she was a lucky little girl to live so well and she had to be kind and helpful to those less fortunate?
2. How does the fact that Julian is crying when Kelly and Lia arrive and the knowledge that Ayinde didn't know he was crying show the emotional turmoil that she is going through?
3. How is Mimi's self-absorption shown in "October Becky"?
4. How does the author foreshadow the disaster of the magazine interview?
5. How is Becky's sense of humor shown in "October Becky"?
6. How does learning the truth about her childhood help Lia move toward reconciling with Sam?
7. Kelly has been driven by appearances and having everything perfect. How does this change in "February Kelly"?
8. How does the interview in "January Kelly" depict Kelly's entire life?
9. In the chapter "February Lia," how is it shown that Lia is still in love and wants to reach out to Sam?
10. One of the main themes of the book is forgiveness. How is that played out in "February Becky"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Depending upon the character, Little Earthquakes is written in the first person and third person. Lia's chapters are written in the first person, while the other three main characters--Kelly, Ayinde, and Becky--are written in the third person. What is Jennifer Weiner's reason for doing this?
Essay Topic 2
In the midst of personal troubles, Becky's friends have difficulty finding ways that their lives are blessed and how they are fortunate. In particular, Kelly tends to be scornful when people call her lucky. But, towards the end of the story, she starts to realize how blessed and fortunate she is. How does motherhood tend to put things into perspective for Becky? What does Becky learn from her friends?
Essay Topic 3
Paula, Kelly's mother, tries to convince Kelly that covetousness is wrong. Due to Kelly's childhood, Kelly did not take this advice to heart. Should Kelly have listened to her mother's advice more closely? Why does Kelly strive so hard to find the perfect accessories? Is Kelly truly covetous? Does Kelly wish to appear affluent? Does she truly appreciate nice things? Whatever Kelly's motivation, do you think she will ever be satisfied by the acquisition of more objects? Defend your answer.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)