|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "October Becky," Becky brings home a surprise for Andrew. What is the surprise?
2. How does Mimi react when she finds the DVD's?
3. How does Sam answer Lia's question?
4. Where are the friends as "November Lia" opens?
5. After telling Richard to leave, what is the first thing that Ayinde does?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show the difference in the mothers' personalities as they are walking with the babies in their strollers?
2. Explain the irony between how Ayinde's day begins and how it ends.
3. How does the author address the common feeling among mothers that they aren't as good at mothering as everyone else they know, or that they lost their temper and yelled?
4. In the chapter "February Lia," how is it shown that Lia is still in love and wants to reach out to Sam?
5. How does Ayinde implement what she learned from her parents in her childhood: that she was a lucky little girl to live so well and she had to be kind and helpful to those less fortunate?
6. How does the readers' perception of Steve change in "January Kelly"?
7. Starting with "November Lia," tell how Lia is beginning to appear on the road to recovery.
8. How is Mimi's self-absorption shown in "October Becky"?
9. How does Becky convince Andrew that they can't just give his mother what she wants?
10. Kelly has been driven by appearances and having everything perfect. How does this change in "February Kelly"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All four main characters become unexpectedly best friends. Learning each main character's personalities, does this surprise you? In what ways is it beneficial for these four women to become best friends? In what ways is it harmful for these four women to become best friends?
Essay Topic 2
How is Ayinde affected by learning of her son's heart murmur? How does this "hole in the heart" to Ayinde's son reflect the injury that Ayinde has sustained on an emotional level? What do Ayinde's son's prospects for health imply about Ayinde's health and the health of her friends?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the story have experienced a loss. Choose one loss. Tell about this loss and how it affected the character.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)