|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mimi offers to watch Ava so that Becky can do something. What is it?
2. How does Lia feel when the woman is talking about losing her son?
3. Who calls Becky and Andrew early in the morning?
4. What did Kelly's siblings think about her when they were growing up?
5. How does Ayinde feel about Richard leaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
2. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
3. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
4. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
5. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
6. Why is Becky not happy with her mother-in-law moving to Philadelphia?
7. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
8. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
9. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
10. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Having a baby brought about many changes in the friends' sense of self. Choose one of the friends and describe in detail, using examples from the story, how their sense of self changed.
Essay Topic 2
Paula, Kelly's mother, tries to convince Kelly that covetousness is wrong. Due to Kelly's childhood, Kelly did not take this advice to heart. Should Kelly have listened to her mother's advice more closely? Why does Kelly strive so hard to find the perfect accessories? Is Kelly truly covetous? Does Kelly wish to appear affluent? Does she truly appreciate nice things? Whatever Kelly's motivation, do you think she will ever be satisfied by the acquisition of more objects? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Both Ayinde and Kelly consider divorce at some point during the story. Ayinde thinks of a chapter from Baby Success that focuses on babies as the ones that really matter and that babies do better with a mommy and daddy under the same roof. Do you agree with this advice? Why / why not? Should Ayinde have patched things up with Richard? Why / why not? Do you think either Kelly or Ayinde should have followed through with a divorce? Why / why not?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)