|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Lia's mother live in?
2. What happens to Steve during the delivery of the baby?
3. What one word would describe Kelly in "August Kelly"?
4. How does Ayinde feel about Richard leaving?
5. Where does Kelly decide to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
2. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
3. What constitutes Lia's inability to come to grips with her baby's death?
4. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
5. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
6. How does Ayinde feel about her mother sending her the book Priscilla Prewitt's Baby Success?
7. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
8. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
9. Why is Becky not happy with her mother-in-law moving to Philadelphia?
10. Why does Richard, Ayinde's husband, appear to be ready to go on another trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lia, Ayinde, Becky, and Kelly all have difficult relationships with their mothers and mothers-in-law. Think about how these relationships affect them and the bonds they develop with their babies. For example, Ayinde clearly wants to parent her children differently than the way she was raised, however, she also wants to live up to her mother's expectations by taking the book Baby Success seriously. How does Ayinde deal with balancing these two sides and will it affect Ayinde's relationship with Julian? How? Also, how do Ayinde's childhood memories affect the relationship with Julian?
Essay Topic 2
The four friends have very unique personalities. Compare and contrast the friends. How are they alike and how are they different?
Essay Topic 3
All of the friends underwent many changes during Little Earthquakes. One of the biggest transformations was with Lia. Describe how Lia changed in the story.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)