|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard gets upset that Julian is taking up his space in his and Ayinde's bed, who ends up leaving the bed to sleep elsewhere?
2. What does Lia give Becky while she is walking with Ava trying to calm her?
3. What does Kelly do when Steve offers to watch the baby while she takes a nap?
4. Who sent Ayinde a book?
5. Where had Lia gone when she left Caleb with the neighbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Lia tucking her hair under the baseball cap as she heads for the Parents Together Grief group?
2. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
3. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
4. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
5. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
6. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
7. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
8. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
9. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
10. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Ayinde affected by learning of her son's heart murmur? How does this "hole in the heart" to Ayinde's son reflect the injury that Ayinde has sustained on an emotional level? What do Ayinde's son's prospects for health imply about Ayinde's health and the health of her friends?
Essay Topic 2
All four main characters are very different and have four very different lives with their husbands. Some women are forced to quit their jobs and stay at home with their children while the other women can go back to their careers. What are the similarities and differences among each of the four families?
Essay Topic 3
Having a baby brought about many changes in the friends' sense of self. Choose one of the friends and describe in detail, using examples from the story, how their sense of self changed.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)