|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Becky goes for a walk to get away from Mimi. Whom does she go see?
2. Who does Kelly ask Steve to call when she can't calm Oliver?
3. What reason does Ayinde give Richard for Julian sleeping with them?
4. Who does Steve think should care for Oliver while Kelly works?
5. What piece of furniture does Steve bring home without asking Kelly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ayinde feel about her mother sending her the book Priscilla Prewitt's Baby Success?
2. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
3. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
4. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
5. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
6. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
7. Why does Richard, Ayinde's husband, appear to be ready to go on another trip?
8. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
9. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
10. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the friends underwent many changes during Little Earthquakes. One of the biggest transformations was with Lia. Describe how Lia changed in the story.
Essay Topic 2
All four main characters become unexpectedly best friends. Learning each main character's personalities, does this surprise you? In what ways is it beneficial for these four women to become best friends? In what ways is it harmful for these four women to become best friends?
Essay Topic 3
All four main characters are very different and have four very different lives with their husbands. Some women are forced to quit their jobs and stay at home with their children while the other women can go back to their careers. What are the similarities and differences among each of the four families?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)