|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lia do with her engagement ring?
2. Who do Becky and Kelly meet at the coffee shop?
3. What does Lia give Becky while she is walking with Ava trying to calm her?
4. What advice does Lolo give Ayinde about being a mother?
5. How long is Kelly planning to take maternity leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ayinde is experiencing pain and suffering when first introduced in "April Ayinde". Usually Ayinde is one that appears to have it all. In what ways is Ayinde experiencing pain and suffering?
2. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
3. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
4. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
5. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
6. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
7. What is the symbolism of Lia tucking her hair under the baseball cap as she heads for the Parents Together Grief group?
8. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
9. Ayinde always claims to want to stay at home with Julian. How does she interpret the failed job interview to justify this desire?
10. Why does Richard, Ayinde's husband, appear to be ready to go on another trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
When Lia flies to Philadelphia, she leaves Sam behind, even though they love each other. Why does Lia assume her presence is hurting Sam? Where does her sense of guilt come from and how does this complicate her guilt? Why does she finally reach out to Sam?
Essay Topic 3
All four main characters become unexpectedly best friends. Learning each main character's personalities, does this surprise you? In what ways is it beneficial for these four women to become best friends? In what ways is it harmful for these four women to become best friends?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)