|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Lia's mother live in?
2. What ended up being wrong with Ava when Becky couldn't calm her?
3. Why is Ayinde told she will never anchor the news?
4. What does Richard think that Julian would rather play with?
5. When Richard gets upset that Julian is taking up his space in his and Ayinde's bed, who ends up leaving the bed to sleep elsewhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
2. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
3. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
4. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
5. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
6. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
7. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
8. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
9. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
10. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Having a baby brought about many changes in the friends' sense of self. Choose one of the friends and describe in detail, using examples from the story, how their sense of self changed.
Essay Topic 2
Paula, Kelly's mother, tries to convince Kelly that covetousness is wrong. Due to Kelly's childhood, Kelly did not take this advice to heart. Should Kelly have listened to her mother's advice more closely? Why does Kelly strive so hard to find the perfect accessories? Is Kelly truly covetous? Does Kelly wish to appear affluent? Does she truly appreciate nice things? Whatever Kelly's motivation, do you think she will ever be satisfied by the acquisition of more objects? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
All four main characters become unexpectedly best friends. Learning each main character's personalities, does this surprise you? In what ways is it beneficial for these four women to become best friends? In what ways is it harmful for these four women to become best friends?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)