|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent Ayinde a book?
2. What bad news does Becky receive at the doctor's office?
3. What does Becky offer Lia at the beginning of "September Lia?"
4. Why is Steve worried about what the doctor has said?
5. What one word would describe Kelly in "August Kelly"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
2. Ayinde is experiencing pain and suffering when first introduced in "April Ayinde". Usually Ayinde is one that appears to have it all. In what ways is Ayinde experiencing pain and suffering?
3. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
4. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
5. When Richard asks if "it's supposed to be this hard" and he answers "everything" to Ayinde. What does Richard mean by "everything"?
6. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
7. Ayinde always claims to want to stay at home with Julian. How does she interpret the failed job interview to justify this desire?
8. Why is Becky not happy with her mother-in-law moving to Philadelphia?
9. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
10. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many objects played significant roles in the story Little Earthquakes, such as the park and the blue coat. Choose an object and describe in detail its significance.
Essay Topic 2
In the midst of personal troubles, Becky's friends have difficulty finding ways that their lives are blessed and how they are fortunate. In particular, Kelly tends to be scornful when people call her lucky. But, towards the end of the story, she starts to realize how blessed and fortunate she is. How does motherhood tend to put things into perspective for Becky? What does Becky learn from her friends?
Essay Topic 3
All of the friends underwent many changes during Little Earthquakes. One of the biggest transformations was with Lia. Describe how Lia changed in the story.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)