|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kelly was younger, what role did she play with her brothers and sister?
2. With whom does Ayinde go for a photo shoot?
3. What did Kelly's siblings think about her when they were growing up?
4. What are Kelly's sisters doing while they are visiting?
5. What is Richard trying to do when Ayinde tells him not to wake the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
2. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
3. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
4. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
5. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
6. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
7. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
8. What constitutes Lia's inability to come to grips with her baby's death?
9. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
10. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all the main characters, Becky is the character who struggles with physical appearance. She looks in the mirror and questions whether she is pregnant or just fat. Although Becky has struggled with her body image most of her life, the pregnancy really makes her draw attention to her weight. She has hoped that through the pregnancy she could relax with the weight issue, but it has not. How do this disappointment and her struggle with weight loss and body image affect her view of pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
All four main characters become unexpectedly best friends. Learning each main character's personalities, does this surprise you? In what ways is it beneficial for these four women to become best friends? In what ways is it harmful for these four women to become best friends?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)