|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Richard whisper for Ayinde in the darkness in their bedroom?
2. Kelly finds out that Steve wants to change careers. What does he want to be?
3. Becky's mother-in-law has had how many husbands?
4. What piece of furniture does Steve bring home without asking Kelly?
5. Something unusual happened while Lia was at the salon. What was it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Kelly struggles in "December Kelly" with raising the baby and working.
2. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
3. How does Merrill's talk of her husband help Lia make another step on the road to recovery?
4. What action shows that Ayinde is beginning to come to terms with Richard's infidelity and the resulting child?
5. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
6. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
7. How does Ayinde feel about her mother sending her the book <i>Priscilla Prewitt's Baby Success</i>?
8. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
9. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
10. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all the main characters, Becky is the character who struggles with physical appearance. She looks in the mirror and questions whether she is pregnant or just fat. Although Becky has struggled with her body image most of her life, the pregnancy really makes her draw attention to her weight. She has hoped that through the pregnancy she could relax with the weight issue, but it has not. How do this disappointment and her struggle with weight loss and body image affect her view of pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the story have experienced a loss. Choose one loss. Tell about this loss and how it affected the character.
This section contains 1,767 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)