|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the story opens, where is Lia sitting?
2. What does the news station offer Ayinde?
3. Which of the four main characters is an only child?
4. What does Lia give Becky while she is walking with Ava trying to calm her?
5. How does Steve think he and Kelly can pay the bills without him having a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
2. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
3. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
4. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
5. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
6. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
7. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
8. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
9. "April Lia" opens with Lia sitting on a park bench wanting to be invisible. Why does Lia want to be invisible?
10. How does Ayinde feel about her mother sending her the book Priscilla Prewitt's Baby Success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all the main characters, Becky is the character who struggles with physical appearance. She looks in the mirror and questions whether she is pregnant or just fat. Although Becky has struggled with her body image most of her life, the pregnancy really makes her draw attention to her weight. She has hoped that through the pregnancy she could relax with the weight issue, but it has not. How do this disappointment and her struggle with weight loss and body image affect her view of pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, we learn about the main characters and their relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Some of the main characters have strong relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law; while others have poor relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Write about the relationships of the four main characters with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Tell if the relationship is good or bad and what causes or has caused the relationship to be the way it is.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)