|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lia feel when the woman is talking about losing her son?
2. Where does Becky take Lia after they talk outside of Becky's home?
3. Lia has 27 emails from someone and deletes them without looking at them. Who is she ignoring?
4. Where had Lia gone when she left Caleb with the neighbor?
5. What does the news station offer Ayinde?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
2. What constitutes Lia's inability to come to grips with her baby's death?
3. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
4. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
5. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
6. "April Lia" opens with Lia sitting on a park bench wanting to be invisible. Why does Lia want to be invisible?
7. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
8. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
9. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
10. How does Lia's flight back to LA bring out the thought, "You can't go home again'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lia, Ayinde, Becky, and Kelly all have difficult relationships with their mothers and mothers-in-law. Think about how these relationships affect them and the bonds they develop with their babies. For example, Ayinde clearly wants to parent her children differently than the way she was raised, however, she also wants to live up to her mother's expectations by taking the book Baby Success seriously. How does Ayinde deal with balancing these two sides and will it affect Ayinde's relationship with Julian? How? Also, how do Ayinde's childhood memories affect the relationship with Julian?
Essay Topic 2
Ayinde's life changes dramatically when she has her baby. One of the main ways it dramatically changes her life is it forces her to quit her career because of her husband's celebrity status. How does Ayinde's sense of self change after her marriage and the baby? Do you think Ayinde makes choices for her and her baby that she would have not made if she was still working? Why / why not? How is Ayinde's relationship with her husband and baby affected by her decision not to further pursue her career at this time?
Essay Topic 3
When Lia flies to Philadelphia, she leaves Sam behind, even though they love each other. Why does Lia assume her presence is hurting Sam? Where does her sense of guilt come from and how does this complicate her guilt? Why does she finally reach out to Sam?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)