|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Lolo give Ayinde about being a mother?
2. What news does Steve tell Kelly in June?
3. Where does Lia go to get help in "September Lia"?
4. What is Richard trying to do when Ayinde tells him not to wake the baby?
5. Something unusual happened while Lia was at the salon. What was it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Becky not happy with her mother-in-law moving to Philadelphia?
2. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
3. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
4. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
5. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
6. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
7. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
8. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
9. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
10. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Depending upon the character, Little Earthquakes is written in the first person and third person. Lia's chapters are written in the first person, while the other three main characters--Kelly, Ayinde, and Becky--are written in the third person. What is Jennifer Weiner's reason for doing this?
Essay Topic 2
All four main characters become unexpectedly best friends. Learning each main character's personalities, does this surprise you? In what ways is it beneficial for these four women to become best friends? In what ways is it harmful for these four women to become best friends?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the story have experienced a loss. Choose one loss. Tell about this loss and how it affected the character.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)