|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kelly was younger, what role did she play with her brothers and sister?
2. Why is Steve worried about what the doctor has said?
3. Who is Ayinde's mother looking for when they arrive at the photo shoot?
4. How does Ayinde feel about Richard leaving?
5. Becky goes for a walk to get away from Mimi. Whom does she go see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
2. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
3. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
4. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
5. Why is Becky not happy with her mother-in-law moving to Philadelphia?
6. Ayinde is experiencing pain and suffering when first introduced in "April Ayinde". Usually Ayinde is one that appears to have it all. In what ways is Ayinde experiencing pain and suffering?
7. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
8. What is the symbolism of Lia tucking her hair under the baseball cap as she heads for the Parents Together Grief group?
9. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
10. Ayinde always claims to want to stay at home with Julian. How does she interpret the failed job interview to justify this desire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Ayinde and Kelly consider divorce at some point during the story. Ayinde thinks of a chapter from Baby Success that focuses on babies as the ones that really matter and that babies do better with a mommy and daddy under the same roof. Do you agree with this advice? Why / why not? Should Ayinde have patched things up with Richard? Why / why not? Do you think either Kelly or Ayinde should have followed through with a divorce? Why / why not?
Essay Topic 2
There were many themes throughout the story. Choose one of them and describe how it develops throughout.
Essay Topic 3
Many objects played significant roles in the story Little Earthquakes, such as the park and the blue coat. Choose an object and describe in detail its significance.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)