|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Steve think he and Kelly can pay the bills without him having a job?
2. Who do Becky and Andrew pick up from the airport while she is in labor?
3. What does Kelly think when Oliver cries?
4. When the story opens, where is Lia sitting?
5. What does Julian do during the photo shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
2. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
3. How does Ayinde feel about her mother sending her the book Priscilla Prewitt's Baby Success?
4. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
5. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
6. How does Lia's flight back to LA bring out the thought, "You can't go home again'?
7. When Richard asks if "it's supposed to be this hard" and he answers "everything" to Ayinde. What does Richard mean by "everything"?
8. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
9. Ayinde always claims to want to stay at home with Julian. How does she interpret the failed job interview to justify this desire?
10. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all the main characters, Becky is the character who struggles with physical appearance. She looks in the mirror and questions whether she is pregnant or just fat. Although Becky has struggled with her body image most of her life, the pregnancy really makes her draw attention to her weight. She has hoped that through the pregnancy she could relax with the weight issue, but it has not. How do this disappointment and her struggle with weight loss and body image affect her view of pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
Paula, Kelly's mother, tries to convince Kelly that covetousness is wrong. Due to Kelly's childhood, Kelly did not take this advice to heart. Should Kelly have listened to her mother's advice more closely? Why does Kelly strive so hard to find the perfect accessories? Is Kelly truly covetous? Does Kelly wish to appear affluent? Does she truly appreciate nice things? Whatever Kelly's motivation, do you think she will ever be satisfied by the acquisition of more objects? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, we learn about the main characters and their relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Some of the main characters have strong relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law; while others have poor relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Write about the relationships of the four main characters with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Tell if the relationship is good or bad and what causes or has caused the relationship to be the way it is.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)