|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the friends wanted to have twins?
2. Who does Becky meet when she takes Ava for a walk to try to calm her?
3. Why is Kelly annoyed with Steve throughout the story?
4. What makes Ayinde say "Ouch"?
5. What was Lia's name as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. "April Lia" opens with Lia sitting on a park bench wanting to be invisible. Why does Lia want to be invisible?
2. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
3. What constitutes Lia's inability to come to grips with her baby's death?
4. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
5. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
6. Why is Becky not happy with her mother-in-law moving to Philadelphia?
7. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
8. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
9. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
10. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lia flies to Philadelphia, she leaves Sam behind, even though they love each other. Why does Lia assume her presence is hurting Sam? Where does her sense of guilt come from and how does this complicate her guilt? Why does she finally reach out to Sam?
Essay Topic 2
All four main characters become unexpectedly best friends. Learning each main character's personalities, does this surprise you? In what ways is it beneficial for these four women to become best friends? In what ways is it harmful for these four women to become best friends?
Essay Topic 3
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)