|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the early morning caller tell Becky and Andrew?
2. What bad news does Becky receive at the doctor's office?
3. What is the profession of Ayinde's husband?
4. In the second chapter, it says that Ayinde has not had a close friend since when?
5. What is the first thing Mimi does when she arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter "February Lia," how is it shown that Lia is still in love and wants to reach out to Sam?
2. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
3. Explain the irony between how Ayinde's day begins and how it ends.
4. Starting with "November Lia," tell how Lia is beginning to appear on the road to recovery.
5. How is Mimi's self-absorption shown in "October Becky"?
6. What is ironic about Kelly and Steve's fight?
7. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
8. How does the author address the common feeling among mothers that they aren't as good at mothering as everyone else they know, or that they lost their temper and yelled?
9. How does Becky convince Andrew that they can't just give his mother what she wants?
10. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
Essay Topic 1
The four friends have very unique personalities. Compare and contrast the friends. How are they alike and how are they different?
Essay Topic 2
In the midst of personal troubles, Becky's friends have difficulty finding ways that their lives are blessed and how they are fortunate. In particular, Kelly tends to be scornful when people call her lucky. But, towards the end of the story, she starts to realize how blessed and fortunate she is. How does motherhood tend to put things into perspective for Becky? What does Becky learn from her friends?
Essay Topic 3
Three of the main characters all take a different approach to raising their children. Kelly takes the professional route and keeps track of everything on spreadsheets, Ayinde follows the book Baby Success, and Becky has a laid back approach. How do these particular strategies work out for them? If an approach does not seem to work out for them, what other approach do you think they should try and why? Does any one approach seem to work better than the others?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)