Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Lolo give Ayinde about being a mother?
2. At the hospital, Ayinde's mother wants to be called what?
3. Who sent Ayinde a book?
4. How long is Kelly planning to take maternity leave?
5. What does Lia tells Sam about her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Richard asks if "it's supposed to be this hard" and he answers "everything" to Ayinde. What does Richard mean by "everything"?
2. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
3. Explain how the title of the story has a double meaning.
4. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
5. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
6. One of the main themes of the book is forgiveness. How is that played out in "February Becky"?
7. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
8. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
9. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
10. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
Essay Topic 1
How is Ayinde affected by learning of her son's heart murmur? How does this "hole in the heart" to Ayinde's son reflect the injury that Ayinde has sustained on an emotional level? What do Ayinde's son's prospects for health imply about Ayinde's health and the health of her friends?
Essay Topic 2
Three of the main characters all take a different approach to raising their children. Kelly takes the professional route and keeps track of everything on spreadsheets, Ayinde follows the book Baby Success, and Becky has a laid back approach. How do these particular strategies work out for them? If an approach does not seem to work out for them, what other approach do you think they should try and why? Does any one approach seem to work better than the others?
Essay Topic 3
The four friends have very unique personalities. Compare and contrast the friends. How are they alike and how are they different?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)