Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Lolo give Ayinde about being a mother?
2. At the hospital, Ayinde's mother wants to be called what?
3. Who sent Ayinde a book?
4. How long is Kelly planning to take maternity leave?
5. What does Lia tells Sam about her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Richard asks if "it's supposed to be this hard" and he answers "everything" to Ayinde. What does Richard mean by "everything"?
2. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
3. Explain how the title of the story has a double meaning.
4. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
5. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
6. One of the main themes of the book is forgiveness. How is that played out in "February Becky"?
7. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
8. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
9. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
10. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the story have experienced a loss. Choose one loss. Tell about this loss and how it affected the character.
Essay Topic 2
All four main characters become unexpectedly best friends. Learning each main character's personalities, does this surprise you? In what ways is it beneficial for these four women to become best friends? In what ways is it harmful for these four women to become best friends?
Essay Topic 3
There were many themes throughout the story. Choose one of them and describe how it develops throughout.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)