|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "August Becky," what did Becky and Andrew decide to try with Ava?
2. How has Lia paid for everything for her trip home?
3. What reason does Ayinde give Richard for Julian sleeping with them?
4. What does the early morning caller tell Becky and Andrew?
5. Who sent Ayinde a book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
2. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
3. Why is Becky not happy with her mother-in-law moving to Philadelphia?
4. How does the author begin to show suspense in "December Ayinde"?
5. Lia sees that the babies are growing and changing and Becky remarks that they all have changed. How does this comment mimic the theme and title of the story?
6. How does Becky convince Andrew that they can't just give his mother what she wants?
7. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
8. How does the readers' perception of Steve change in "January Kelly"?
9. How does learning the truth about her childhood help Lia move toward reconciling with Sam?
10. Describe how Kelly struggles in "December Kelly" with raising the baby and working.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many objects played significant roles in the story Little Earthquakes, such as the park and the blue coat. Choose an object and describe in detail its significance.
Essay Topic 2
When Lia flies to Philadelphia, she leaves Sam behind, even though they love each other. Why does Lia assume her presence is hurting Sam? Where does her sense of guilt come from and how does this complicate her guilt? Why does she finally reach out to Sam?
Essay Topic 3
Paula, Kelly's mother, tries to convince Kelly that covetousness is wrong. Due to Kelly's childhood, Kelly did not take this advice to heart. Should Kelly have listened to her mother's advice more closely? Why does Kelly strive so hard to find the perfect accessories? Is Kelly truly covetous? Does Kelly wish to appear affluent? Does she truly appreciate nice things? Whatever Kelly's motivation, do you think she will ever be satisfied by the acquisition of more objects? Defend your answer.
This section contains 1,867 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)