|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Lolo give Ayinde about being a mother?
2. At the hospital, Ayinde's mother wants to be called what?
3. Who sent Ayinde a book?
4. How long is Kelly planning to take maternity leave?
5. What does Lia tells Sam about her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Richard asks if "it's supposed to be this hard" and he answers "everything" to Ayinde. What does Richard mean by "everything"?
2. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
3. Explain how the title of the story has a double meaning.
4. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
5. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
6. One of the main themes of the book is forgiveness. How is that played out in "February Becky"?
7. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
8. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
9. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
10. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
Essay Topic 1
In the midst of personal troubles, Becky's friends have difficulty finding ways that their lives are blessed and how they are fortunate. In particular, Kelly tends to be scornful when people call her lucky. But, towards the end of the story, she starts to realize how blessed and fortunate she is. How does motherhood tend to put things into perspective for Becky? What does Becky learn from her friends?
Essay Topic 2
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
Paula, Kelly's mother, tries to convince Kelly that covetousness is wrong. Due to Kelly's childhood, Kelly did not take this advice to heart. Should Kelly have listened to her mother's advice more closely? Why does Kelly strive so hard to find the perfect accessories? Is Kelly truly covetous? Does Kelly wish to appear affluent? Does she truly appreciate nice things? Whatever Kelly's motivation, do you think she will ever be satisfied by the acquisition of more objects? Defend your answer.
This section contains 1,736 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)