|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kelly's husband?
2. What piece of furniture does Steve bring home without asking Kelly?
3. What does the early morning caller tell Becky and Andrew?
4. With whom does Ayinde go for a photo shoot?
5. Where had Lia gone when she left Caleb with the neighbor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
2. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
3. What constitutes Lia's inability to come to grips with her baby's death?
4. How does Lia's flight back to LA bring out the thought, "You can't go home again'?
5. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
6. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
7. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
8. Why does Richard, Ayinde's husband, appear to be ready to go on another trip?
9. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
10. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lia flies to Philadelphia, she leaves Sam behind, even though they love each other. Why does Lia assume her presence is hurting Sam? Where does her sense of guilt come from and how does this complicate her guilt? Why does she finally reach out to Sam?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, we learn about the main characters and their relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Some of the main characters have strong relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law; while others have poor relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Write about the relationships of the four main characters with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Tell if the relationship is good or bad and what causes or has caused the relationship to be the way it is.
Essay Topic 3
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)