|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lia's name as a child?
2. Becky's mother-in-law has had how many husbands?
3. With whom does Ayinde go for a photo shoot?
4. Lia has 27 emails from someone and deletes them without looking at them. Who is she ignoring?
5. What is Richard trying to do when Ayinde tells him not to wake the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
2. Ayinde is experiencing pain and suffering when first introduced in "April Ayinde". Usually Ayinde is one that appears to have it all. In what ways is Ayinde experiencing pain and suffering?
3. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
4. "April Lia" opens with Lia sitting on a park bench wanting to be invisible. Why does Lia want to be invisible?
5. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
6. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
7. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
8. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
9. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
10. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three of the main characters all take a different approach to raising their children. Kelly takes the professional route and keeps track of everything on spreadsheets, Ayinde follows the book Baby Success, and Becky has a laid back approach. How do these particular strategies work out for them? If an approach does not seem to work out for them, what other approach do you think they should try and why? Does any one approach seem to work better than the others?
Essay Topic 2
Depending upon the character, Little Earthquakes is written in the first person and third person. Lia's chapters are written in the first person, while the other three main characters--Kelly, Ayinde, and Becky--are written in the third person. What is Jennifer Weiner's reason for doing this?
Essay Topic 3
Many objects played significant roles in the story Little Earthquakes, such as the park and the blue coat. Choose an object and describe in detail its significance.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)