|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the early morning caller tell Becky and Andrew?
2. What is on the blanket on the bed in Lia's old room?
3. What does Kelly do when Steve offers to watch the baby while she takes a nap?
4. What profession does Becky's husband have?
5. What does Kelly think when Oliver cries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
2. Kelly jokes, "It takes a village to feed my child." What does this mean?
3. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
4. What is the symbolism of Lia tucking her hair under the baseball cap as she heads for the Parents Together Grief group?
5. Ayinde always claims to want to stay at home with Julian. How does she interpret the failed job interview to justify this desire?
6. Why does Richard, Ayinde's husband, appear to be ready to go on another trip?
7. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
8. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
9. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
10. When Richard asks if "it's supposed to be this hard" and he answers "everything" to Ayinde. What does Richard mean by "everything"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all the main characters, Becky is the character who struggles with physical appearance. She looks in the mirror and questions whether she is pregnant or just fat. Although Becky has struggled with her body image most of her life, the pregnancy really makes her draw attention to her weight. She has hoped that through the pregnancy she could relax with the weight issue, but it has not. How do this disappointment and her struggle with weight loss and body image affect her view of pregnancy?
Essay Topic 2
Choose the one character from Little Earthquakes that you think most resembles yourself. Explain how this character resembles you using detail and examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
There were many themes throughout the story. Choose one of them and describe how it develops throughout.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)