|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the four main characters is an only child?
2. Who appears in the delivery room that upsets Becky?
3. What is the profession of Ayinde's husband?
4. How does Ayinde think that Richard must feel about leaving her and Julian?
5. Who do Becky and Andrew pick up from the airport while she is in labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kelly panic when she finds out that Steve wants to become a teacher?
2. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
3. Why does Richard, Ayinde's husband, appear to be ready to go on another trip?
4. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
5. What is the symbolism of Mimi wearing a white dress to Becky and Andrew's wedding?
6. Kelly and her husband Steve both come home from the hospital in "July Kelly." What had happened to Steve?
7. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
8. We learn Kelly wanted a normal childhood in May Kelly. What does Kelly consider a normal childhood?
9. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
10. In "August Becky," what breakthroughs does Lia make with the loss of her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All of the friends underwent many changes during Little Earthquakes. One of the biggest transformations was with Lia. Describe how Lia changed in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, we learn about the main characters and their relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Some of the main characters have strong relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law; while others have poor relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Write about the relationships of the four main characters with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Tell if the relationship is good or bad and what causes or has caused the relationship to be the way it is.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the story have experienced a loss. Choose one loss. Tell about this loss and how it affected the character.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)