|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the friends plan to meet the morning after Kelly and Steve bring Oliver home from the hospital?
2. The burned broccoli reminds Kelly of what?
3. Ayinde is really struggling with Julian but when her friends ask her how it is going, what does she tell them?
4. When the story opens, where is Lia sitting?
5. Who is Ayinde's mother looking for when they arrive at the photo shoot?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
2. In the chapter "July Ayinde," why is Richard unhappy in the middle of the night?
3. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
4. How does the "smelly monstrosity of a couch that the neighbor was throwing away" give Kelly flashbacks of her childhood?
5. Ayinde is experiencing pain and suffering when first introduced in "April Ayinde". Usually Ayinde is one that appears to have it all. In what ways is Ayinde experiencing pain and suffering?
6. What are some reasons Becky refuses or does not want to speak to Mimi, her mother-in-law?
7. What are some things that have shaped the way Kelly is today?
8. Jennifer Weiner paints a picture of motherhood in the opening scene of "August Becky." How is this picture humorous?
9. Why does the director tell Ayinde that no one will tune in to watch her read the news?
10. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paula, Kelly's mother, tries to convince Kelly that covetousness is wrong. Due to Kelly's childhood, Kelly did not take this advice to heart. Should Kelly have listened to her mother's advice more closely? Why does Kelly strive so hard to find the perfect accessories? Is Kelly truly covetous? Does Kelly wish to appear affluent? Does she truly appreciate nice things? Whatever Kelly's motivation, do you think she will ever be satisfied by the acquisition of more objects? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There were many themes throughout the story. Choose one of them and describe how it develops throughout.
Essay Topic 3
All of the friends underwent many changes during Little Earthquakes. One of the biggest transformations was with Lia. Describe how Lia changed in the story.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)