|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Becky offer Lia at the beginning of "September Lia?"
2. Becky owns a restaurant with a partner. Who is the partner's name?
3. What does Lia tells Sam about her family?
4. Where are Becky and Kelly when June begins?
5. Why does Richard whisper for Ayinde in the darkness in their bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Weiner paint Mimi in the chapter "September Becky"?
2. Becky always seems to worry about her weight. How is this self-consciousness shown in the chapter "June Becky"?
3. Why is the thought of having intercourse so hard for Kelly?
4. What constitutes Lia's inability to come to grips with her baby's death?
5. Why is Becky not happy with her mother-in-law moving to Philadelphia?
6. What changes Kelly's almost perfect world to a world of fear and panic in "June Kelly"?
7. Why is Becky so devastated that the doctor wants to perform a c-section?
8. How does Ayinde feel about her mother sending her the book Priscilla Prewitt's Baby Success?
9. Why does Richard, Ayinde's husband, appear to be ready to go on another trip?
10. When Lia tells her mother that "Something happened" her mother assures her that she cares. Lia awaits a sign that her mother cares. How does her mother show her that she cares?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the midst of personal troubles, Becky's friends have difficulty finding ways that their lives are blessed and how they are fortunate. In particular, Kelly tends to be scornful when people call her lucky. But, towards the end of the story, she starts to realize how blessed and fortunate she is. How does motherhood tend to put things into perspective for Becky? What does Becky learn from her friends?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, we learn about the main characters and their relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Some of the main characters have strong relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law; while others have poor relationships with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Write about the relationships of the four main characters with their mothers and/or mothers-in-law. Tell if the relationship is good or bad and what causes or has caused the relationship to be the way it is.
Essay Topic 3
When Lia flies to Philadelphia, she leaves Sam behind, even though they love each other. Why does Lia assume her presence is hurting Sam? Where does her sense of guilt come from and how does this complicate her guilt? Why does she finally reach out to Sam?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)