|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What picture does Masha show Marcus?
2. What does Marcus learn from Jeb?
3. What does Masha realize she is doing for the DHS?
4. What do Ange and Marcus do when she leads him to an area near the edge of the crowd?
5. What does Marcus talk about when he sees the party goers are not buying in to his idea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who catches Marcus before the real gas falls and how does she save him from Charles?
2. What instructions does Dr Eeevil give Marcus?
3. What does the note say that Jeb slips into Marcus' pocket?
4. Why does Marcus believe he has to try to end the arrests and what is Ange's response?
5. How is Marcus rescued by the California Highway Patrol?
6. How does Marcus respond to Mrs. Anderson's opinion on the Bill of Rights and what happens to him?
7. What does Masha say in an email to Marcus?
8. What do Marcus' parents decide to do after hearing what really happened to Marcus after the bombings?
9. Who helps Marcus when he has gotten away from Masha and does not know where to go that is safe?
10. What does National Public Radio run the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Marcus and Charles. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Angie and Vanessa. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "Little Brother" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Little Brother and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Little Brother is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an important part of what makes "Little Brother" interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Marcus. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Angie. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Carrie Johnstone. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)