|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marcus ashamed?
2. What do Marcus and Ange do the evening after the interview?
3. Where does Masha plan to go?
4. What does Marcus do when he gets away from Masha?
5. What does Mrs. Anderson talk about concerning the Bill of Rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. What format do Marcus and Ange use to hold a "press" conference?
2. What do Marcus and Ange explain to Barbara and why can she related to what they say?
3. Who helps Marcus when he has gotten away from Masha and does not know where to go that is safe?
4. What do Marcus' parents decide to do after hearing what really happened to Marcus after the bombings?
5. What happens when Marcus tells the participants of the VampMob to pretend to be gassed when the police come?
6. How does Marcus realize that the quote Ange said at the party is not spoken by Ange spontaneously the night of the party?
7. What does Mrs. Galvez talk about in her class?
8. What instructions does Dr Eeevil give Marcus?
9. Who takes over Mrs. Galvez's social studies class and what does she say about the Bill of Rights?
10. Who is first to sign up for the key sign and what motto does she say to the crowd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "Little Brother". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "Little Brother". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of freedom in "Little Brother". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with freedom? Why? What are some symbols of freedom? Symbols of control? What characters seem free?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "Little Brother" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if "Little Brother" is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "Little Brother" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Cory Doctorow.
2. What in Doctorow's background may have helped him in writing "Little Brother"? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)