|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John realizes that Tita's ___________ are wet and that he needs to dry them slowly.
2. Who frantically announces that Rosaura has gone into labor?
3. What does Pedro tell Tita in a private moment they share before the wedding?
4. The heat from Gertrudis' body ignites the wood of the ___________.
5. Tita feels a strong love for the ______________, something which completely surprises her.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tita do for the child of Rosaura and Pedro which shows her love for the child?
2. Why does Mama Elena burn Gertrudis' birth certificate upon hearing news of her life?
3. Why do Pedro and Tita's eyes meet for an eternity in the kitchen as she is cooking another meal?
4. Why is Tita frantic as she is preparing the meal for the evening when John is coming over?
5. What does Pedro say to Tita when they are dancing together, making her cry?
6. What happens when Gertrudis has a taste of the rose petal sauce that Tita prepares?
7. What are the guests' reactions after eating the wedding cake Tita has prepared?
8. What does the letter from Gertrudis say to Tita besides that she hopes to see her again?
9. Why won't the cake batter thicken as Tita is stirring it in preparation for the wedding of Pedro and Rosaura?
10. What is Tita doing in the garden at the opening of this chapter instead of working in the kitchen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magical realism is one of the literary decides the author uses in this story, often with beautiful results in the narrative.
Part 1: Define the idea of magical realism.
Part 2: Why do you think the author chooses magical realism over typical storytelling?
Part 3: How does magical realism strengthen the story? How does it weaken it?
Essay Topic 2
Mama seems to put Pedro and Tita into a position where they will always experience sexual and emotional tension.
Part 1: Why do you think Mama doesn't want Tita to be with Pedro, aside from her given excuse?
Part 2: Why do you think Mama puts Tita and Pedro together so often anyway, even though she knows how they feel about each other?
Part 3: Do you think mama perhaps wants the two to be together? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While at times, it seems some of the characters surrender to Mama, these are actually points at which the daughters are standing up to her.
Part 1: Why is Tita actually becoming saner when she has spent a night up in the dovecote?
Part 2: When Gertrudius takes off her clothes and runs, why is this not as crazy a thing as it seems? Or is it?
Part 3: In what ways does Rosaura also lose her 'sanity,' though it's actually a sign of her strength? And if this is not the case for her, what makes her different from the others?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)