|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cake has ____________ filling and meringue frosting on it.
2. What did other medical practitioners try to do for his sick relative from #98?
3. What does John give to Tita to help her with the task he has given to her?
4. What does John ask Tita to do for him in order to help him understand why she doesn't speak?
5. Tita is no longer the __________ that the doctor remembers.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chechna say she will tell Mama about Tita's idea about not coming home?
2. Why do Pedro and Tita's eyes meet for an eternity in the kitchen as she is cooking another meal?
3. What does Tita decide to do with the roses that she has received?
4. Why can't Chechna deliver the message from Tita to Mama Elena as she promised to do?
5. Why is Tita frantic as she is preparing the meal for the evening when John is coming over?
6. Why is Tita concerned about the idea of taking care of her mother and not having a family?
7. What does Tita do in order to trick the child into sleeping in her own room instead of in the kitchen?
8. What does Pedro bring to Tita as she is now the head cook at the ranch?
9. How does Tita plan to fatten up the turkeys for the meal she wishes to prepare?
10. Whose wedding are Tita and Pedro at during the last chapter of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tears seem to play an important role in this story as well. They seem to creep up not only in sad times, but also in happy times as well.
Part 1: In what ways are tears healing in this story?
Part 2: in what ways are tears painful within this story?
Part 3: How can tears provide both functions? Why does Tita in particular need tears to provide both functions?
Essay Topic 2
While at times, it seems some of the characters surrender to Mama, these are actually points at which the daughters are standing up to her.
Part 1: Why is Tita actually becoming saner when she has spent a night up in the dovecote?
Part 2: When Gertrudius takes off her clothes and runs, why is this not as crazy a thing as it seems? Or is it?
Part 3: In what ways does Rosaura also lose her 'sanity,' though it's actually a sign of her strength? And if this is not the case for her, what makes her different from the others?
Essay Topic 3
Mama seems to have a different way of dealing with problems than others do. She seems to be a bit of a controlling woman.
Part 1: Why does Mama not want to have anything to do with Gertrudius anymore?
Part 2: Why does Mama make Tita sit up top in the empty dovecote?
Part 3: Why might Mama feel the need to be so controlling of her own daughters?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)