|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tony Murray seeing in Chapter 12?
2. How does Tony look until the service begins in Chapter 13?
3. How many days are Aisling and Elizabeth in Ireland in Chapter 19?
4. Who dies by falling down a set of marble stairs in Chapter 20?
5. How does Maureen find Aisling after her return to Ireland from England?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does Elizabeth make to Eileen before she dies?
2. What does Aisling tell Elizabeth about married life in Chapter 14?
3. What upsets Eileen at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. What causes Tony to start drinking again in Chapter 16?
5. How do Aisling's family in Kilgarret respond to her decision to leave Tony?
6. Who does Aisling begin an affair with in Chapter 20? Who almost discovers the affair?
7. What insensitive behavior does Stone repeat in Chapter 19?
8. What does Elizabeth tell Aisling about her mother in Chapter 12?
9. How does Elizabeth quiet her father's insistence that she should marry soon in Chapter 14?
10. How does Elizabeth's and Stone's relationship come to an end in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Elizabeth's and Aisling's growth as characters. How do they grow throughout the novel? How are they able to do this? How does their friendship evolve along the way?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of the novel "Light a Penny Candle"? What are some examples of other works of this genre? What are the characteristics of this genre? What are some examples of these characteristics in "Light a Penny Candle"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the novel "Light a Penny Candle", Maeve Binchy. What other books has she written? Is this novel similar to her other works in term of plot, tone and genre? How is her work received by critics?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)