|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon tell Elizabeth over dinner in Chapter 15?
2. What does Donal refuse to do for Tony in Chapter 18?
3. What does Elizabeth hope for Aisling's new life in Chapter 13?
4. According to Elizabeth, what would she do if Henry turned to drink?
5. What does Henry want Elizabeth to stop doing in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upsets Eileen at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. Who does Aisling begin an affair with in Chapter 20? Who almost discovers the affair?
3. What does Aisling innocently reveal to Henry in Chapter 20?
4. What does Aisling look forward to on her wedding day?
5. What causes Tony to start drinking again in Chapter 16?
6. What does Aisling tell Elizabeth about married life in Chapter 14?
7. What career progress does Elizabeth make in Chapter 11? What does her father think about her activities?
8. Why does Elizabeth decline to invite Stone to Aisling's wedding? What does Eileen tell Elizabeth when she arrives for the wedding?
9. After the death of Elizabeth's mother, what does Eileen advise her to do?
10. At the wedding, what does Elizabeth realize when she is asked about her wedding plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the death motif in the novel "Light a Penny Candle". Who dies in the novel and how do these deaths affect the characters and plot? What are the reasons for their deaths? What do the reactions of the loved ones left behind reveal of their relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Elizabeth and Stone. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What are Stone's defining characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Elizabeth's and Aisling's growth as characters. How do they grow throughout the novel? How are they able to do this? How does their friendship evolve along the way?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)