|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry want Elizabeth to stop doing in Chapter 19?
2. What does Donal refuse to do for Tony in Chapter 18?
3. Who dies in Chapter 19?
4. How do Aisling and Tony offend their relatives in Chapter 15?
5. Who dies by falling down a set of marble stairs in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elizabeth tell Aisling about her mother in Chapter 12?
2. How do Aisling's family in Kilgarret respond to her decision to leave Tony?
3. Why does Elizabeth decline to invite Stone to Aisling's wedding? What does Eileen tell Elizabeth when she arrives for the wedding?
4. At the wedding, what does Elizabeth realize when she is asked about her wedding plans?
5. What does Aisling innocently reveal to Henry in Chapter 20?
6. How does Elizabeth quiet her father's insistence that she should marry soon in Chapter 14?
7. What causes Tony to start drinking again in Chapter 16?
8. What difficulties does Aisling face with Tony in Chapter 17? What conclusion does she come to about her marriage?
9. What does Aisling tell Elizabeth about married life in Chapter 14?
10. What promise does Elizabeth make to Eileen before she dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of friendship in the novel "Light a Penny Candle", specifically the friendship between Elizabeth and Aisling. In your opinion, why do they become such fast friends? What ups and downs does their relationship encounter over the years? How do they help one another during difficult times? In your opinion, why does their friendship endure?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the relationship between Elizabeth and Stone. What ups and downs do they experience during their relationship? Are they well-suited for one another? Why or why not? What keeps them apart throughout the novel? What are Stone's defining characteristics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Elizabeth's pregnancy and abortion. How does she become pregnant? Is it a surprise to her? How does she come to the conclusion to abort her pregnancy? What does Aisling think of abortion? Why does she feel this way? How does Elizabeth's abortion cause problems years later?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)