|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies by falling down a set of marble stairs in Chapter 20?
2. What does Aisling apologize to Elizabeth for during her wedding?
3. What does Simon do to make Elizabeth uncomfortable in Chapter 20?
4. When does Sean summon Aisling home to visit their mother?
5. What does Henry conclude about his marriage to Elizabeth in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aisling tell Elizabeth about married life in Chapter 14?
2. What upsets Eileen at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. What changes occur in Elizabeth's love life in Chapter 15? What difficulties does Aisling face in her marriage in Chapter 15?
4. Why is Violet hospitalized in Chapter 11? What does George think of this turn of events?
5. After the death of Elizabeth's mother, what does Eileen advise her to do?
6. What promise does Elizabeth make to Eileen before she dies?
7. What career progress does Elizabeth make in Chapter 11? What does her father think about her activities?
8. What causes Tony to start drinking again in Chapter 16?
9. How does Elizabeth quiet her father's insistence that she should marry soon in Chapter 14?
10. At the wedding, what does Elizabeth realize when she is asked about her wedding plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of sex in the novel "Light a Penny Candle". What are Elizabeth's and Aisling's attitudes towards sex when they are young in Ireland? How do their attitudes change as they mature? What are the characters' opinions on premarital sex?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of religion in the novel "Light a Penny Candle". How does Elizabeth's move to Ireland introduce her to a new faith? How does her new faith influence her? What is the connection between the novel's motif of guilt and its theme of religion? Are Elizabeth and Aisling religious people?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Light a Penny Candle". Who are the members of Elizabeth's family? Who are the members of Aisling's family? How important is family to Elizabeth and Aisling? What obstacles do Elizabeth and Aisling face because of their families? How do their families help them overcome obstacles or grow as characters?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)