|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people attend Violet's funeral?
2. What news does Aisling learn about Violet in Chapter 14?
3. How does Sean look as he walks Aisling down the aisle in Chapter 13?
4. What job does Worsky hire Elizabeth for in Chapter 11?
5. What does Ethel tell Aisling in a telegram in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Aisling after the birth of baby Eileen?
2. Why is Violet hospitalized in Chapter 11? What does George think of this turn of events?
3. What insensitive behavior does Stone repeat in Chapter 19?
4. How does Elizabeth quiet her father's insistence that she should marry soon in Chapter 14?
5. What promise does Elizabeth make to Eileen before she dies?
6. What does Aisling innocently reveal to Henry in Chapter 20?
7. How does Elizabeth's and Stone's relationship come to an end in Chapter 16?
8. At the wedding, what does Elizabeth realize when she is asked about her wedding plans?
9. What does Aisling look forward to on her wedding day?
10. Who does Aisling begin an affair with in Chapter 20? Who almost discovers the affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the novel "Light a Penny Candle", Maeve Binchy. What other books has she written? Is this novel similar to her other works in term of plot, tone and genre? How is her work received by critics?
Essay Topic 2
The novel opens during WWII. How are the characters of the novel affected by the war? Does Binchy use the war as a plot device in the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Elizabeth's and Aisling's growth as characters. How do they grow throughout the novel? How are they able to do this? How does their friendship evolve along the way?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)