|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eileen do in Chapter 2 that is quite unlike Violet?
2. What is the name of Nick's girlfriend?
3. What does Joannie's boyfriend convince Joannie to do in Chapter 7?
4. What does Eileen worry about in regards to her household in Chapter 2?
5. What is the name of Maureen's friend in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Violet worry about Elizabeth in Chapter 3?
2. In regard to how Eileen would view her actions, what does Elizabeth decide in Chapter 9?
3. What does Violet announce the day before Elizabeth's sixteenth birthday?
4. What regrets does Elizabeth have as she settles back into life in London?
5. What horrifies young Sean when Elizabeth arrives in Chapter 2?
6. What does Elizabeth write to Aisling about in Chapter 9?
7. After leaving St. Mark convent school years ago, what have Violet and Eileen done with their lives?
8. How does Violet annoy Eileen in Chapter 4?
9. What circumstance is forcing Violet to send her daughter Elizabeth outside of London?
10. In Chapter 7, what realization does Elizabeth come to after spending a week at Monica's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Elizabeth's pregnancy and abortion. How does she become pregnant? Is it a surprise to her? How does she come to the conclusion to abort her pregnancy? What does Aisling think of abortion? Why does she feel this way? How does Elizabeth's abortion cause problems years later?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of family in the novel "Light a Penny Candle". Who are the members of Elizabeth's family? Who are the members of Aisling's family? How important is family to Elizabeth and Aisling? What obstacles do Elizabeth and Aisling face because of their families? How do their families help them overcome obstacles or grow as characters?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the parent-child relationships in the novel. Discuss the ups and downs of the following relationships:
a) Elizabeth and Violet/ Harry.
b) Elizabeth and George.
c) Sean Sr. and Sean Jr.
d) Aisling and Eileen.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)