|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Violet insist Elizabeth make friends with in Chapter 6?
2. What worries Elizabeth about Violet's letters in Chapter 5?
3. What does Aisling bring to her interview in Chapter 8?
4. Why do Elizabeth and Stone spend a night in a hotel in Chapter 8?
5. What shocking news does Violet tell Elizabeth at the end of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sean Jr. fails his Leaving Certificate examination?
2. How does Violet annoy Eileen in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 9, why does Aisling decide she wants to travel? What opportunity soon presents itself?
4. What does Elizabeth pray for in Chapter 5?
5. How is Elizabeth accommodated as a non-Catholic? What do the nuns fail to notice about her in Chapter 4?
6. After leaving St. Mark convent school years ago, what have Violet and Eileen done with their lives?
7. How does Sean Sr. react when Sean Jr. enlists? What change occurs within the family ranks?
8. What decision do the adults in Elizabeth's life reach in order to settle their problems?
9. When does Elizabeth realize that Stone will never meet her half way in their relationship?
10. In Chapter 3, what do Elizabeth's and Eileen's first letters to the Whites refer to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel. How important is the setting to novel? How does WWII affect the characters? What does Ireland teach Elizabeth? What does England teach Aisling? What differences are illustrated between England and Ireland? What if the novel had been set in a different place and time? In your opinion, would the choices of the protagonists be different? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elizabeth's pregnancy and abortion. How does she become pregnant? Is it a surprise to her? How does she come to the conclusion to abort her pregnancy? What does Aisling think of abortion? Why does she feel this way? How does Elizabeth's abortion cause problems years later?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of sex in the novel "Light a Penny Candle". What are Elizabeth's and Aisling's attitudes towards sex when they are young in Ireland? How do their attitudes change as they mature? What are the characters' opinions on premarital sex?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)