|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Violet's husband?
2. How is Sean Jr. killed?
3. Why do Elizabeth and Stone spend a night in a hotel in Chapter 8?
4. What does Elizabeth have preserved in moth balls back in London?
5. What becomes routine for Elizabeth and Stone in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could have interfered with Eileen's willingness to take in Elizabeth?
2. What circumstance is forcing Violet to send her daughter Elizabeth outside of London?
3. What happens when Sean Jr. fails his Leaving Certificate examination?
4. Why does Aisling insist on going sightseeing? What shocks Aisling on a tour of the Art College?
5. How does Sean Sr. react when Sean Jr. enlists? What change occurs within the family ranks?
6. How is Elizabeth accommodated as a non-Catholic? What do the nuns fail to notice about her in Chapter 4?
7. In Chapter 9, why does Aisling decide she wants to travel? What opportunity soon presents itself?
8. Who does Violet White damn at the beginning of the novel?
9. What does Elizabeth pray for in Chapter 5?
10. When Elizabeth sees Violet and Harry in Chapter 8, what does Harry encourage her to do? How has her mother changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Divorce was a taboo subject during the 1940s. Discuss how Violet's divorce affected Elizabeth and the rest of the White family. Divorce is also not allowed in the Catholic Church, but Aisling finds that she is unable to stay by Tony's side. How does this affect her relationships with her family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss love and romance in the novel "Light a Penny Candle". Who does Elizabeth first fall in love with? How does this relationship sway her decisions and affect the rest of her life? Does she find true happiness with her husband Henry? Why or why not? Does Aisling ever love Tony? Does she ever love Stone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of friendship in the novel "Light a Penny Candle", specifically the friendship between Elizabeth and Aisling. In your opinion, why do they become such fast friends? What ups and downs does their relationship encounter over the years? How do they help one another during difficult times? In your opinion, why does their friendship endure?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)