|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elizabeth employed by at the end of Chapter 7?
2. According to Elizabeth, why does she have sex with Stone?
3. Who is the only person to notice that Elizabeth has lost her virginity?
4. What does Elizabeth ask Aisling to do in Chapter 9?
5. What becomes routine for Elizabeth and Stone in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Sean Jr. fails his Leaving Certificate examination?
2. In Chapter 3, what do Elizabeth's and Eileen's first letters to the Whites refer to?
3. What does Elizabeth pray for in Chapter 5?
4. In Chapter 7, what realization does Elizabeth come to after spending a week at Monica's?
5. What could have interfered with Eileen's willingness to take in Elizabeth?
6. How does Sean Sr. react when Sean Jr. enlists? What change occurs within the family ranks?
7. What overwhelms Elizabeth when she arrives at the O'Connor household?
8. How does Aisling explain is the way pre-marital pregnancy is dealt with in Kilgarret?
9. After leaving St. Mark convent school years ago, what have Violet and Eileen done with their lives?
10. What does Worsky warn Elizabeth about Stone? Why doesn't she pay attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret Elizabeth's relationship with Henry. How do they meet? What are their first impressions of one another? Why does Elizabeth choose Henry over Stone? What problems arise in Elizabeth's marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of alcoholism in the novel "Light a Penny Candle". What are some examples of alcohol leading to problems for the characters, particularly Aisling and Elizabeth. How is alcohol a leading factor in the demise of Aisling's marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the conclusion of the novel "Light a Penny Candle". What happens at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Why might Binchy have chosen to end the novel when she did?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)