|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the abortionist that Elizabeth goes to?
(a) Mrs. Cray.
(b) Mrs. Austell.
(c) Mrs. Williams.
(d) Mrs. Norris.
2. Why does Elizabeth enter the men's room in Chapter 2?
(a) She is unable to read the Irish labels.
(b) She can't find the ladies' room.
(c) There is a long line at the ladies' room.
(d) She blindly follows Sean in.
3. How old does Aisling turn in Chapter 9?
4. What does George fear about Elizabeth when she comes home in Chapter 6?
(a) That Elizabeth will make him feel guilty.
(b) That Elizabeth school grades will suffer.
(c) That Elizabeth will have become a stranger.
(d) That Elizabeth will disrespect him and her mother.
5. Why do Elizabeth and Stone spend a night in a hotel in Chapter 8?
(a) To spend some time alone together.
(b) Stone is too tired to drive.
(c) The road is washed out.
(d) The road is closed because of an accident.
6. What worries Elizabeth about Violet's letters in Chapter 5?
(a) They arrive infrequently.
(b) They never contain good news.
(c) They smell like cigarette smoke.
(d) They don't mention Elizabeth's father.
7. Where in Ireland is Elizabeth sent?
8. What does Aisling do that pleases Elizabeth in Chapter 2?
(a) She gives Elizabeth a candy.
(b) She makes a sign for their bedroom.
(c) She invites Elizabeth to skip rope.
(d) She tells her brother to stop pushing Elizabeth.
9. What does Aisling think of intercourse in Chapter 7?
(a) She thinks it makes people act crazy.
(b) She enjoys it.
(c) She believes it is overrated.
(d) She believes it should be done only to conceive children.
10. To what does Aisling equate Kilgarret?
(a) A goldfish bowl.
(b) A large family.
(c) A mental institution.
(d) A glass house.
11. How does Aisling act when she first meets Elizabeth?
(a) She is bouncing with excitement.
(b) She is aggressive.
(c) She is tongue-tied.
(d) She is quiet.
12. What type of woman has Violet transformed into after the war?
(a) A gutsy woman.
(b) An angry woman.
(c) A sporty woman.
(d) A fashionable woman.
13. What does Sean Sr. do regularly after Sean Jr. enlists?
(a) Writes Sean Jr. letters.
(b) He goes out drinking.
(c) Skips work.
(d) Goes to church.
14. What does Violet admit in her note in Chapter 5?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she doesn't miss Elizabeth.
(c) That she has found religion.
(d) That she is depressed.
15. What does Eileen worry about in regards to her household in Chapter 2?
(a) That her furniture will get ruined.
(b) There she will not be able to feed Elizabeth.
(c) That the noisy home will be traumatic for Elizabeth.
(d) That Elizabeth will not keep up with the housework.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eileen react to Dr. Lynch's words in Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of Maureen's friend in Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of Violet's husband?
4. What does Elizabeth's school in England smell like?
5. What does Elizabeth send Aisling for her birthday in Chapter 9?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)