|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Aisling eventually get a job in Chapter 8?
(a) At a quarry.
(b) At a real estate company.
(c) At her family's business.
(d) At a department store.
2. What does Sean Jr. want to do that causes his mother anxiety in Chapter 2?
(a) Emigrate to America.
(b) Go to university.
(c) Enlist in the army.
(d) Get married.
3. What does Harry suggest Elizabeth do in Chapter 8?
(a) Get married.
(b) Transfer to the local art school.
(c) Move into her own flat.
(d) Take a trip through Europe.
4. What does Elizabeth look forward to in Chapter 4?
(a) Her birthday.
(b) An Irish Christmas.
(c) The church fair.
(d) Returning to London.
5. To what does Aisling equate Kilgarret?
(a) A goldfish bowl.
(b) A large family.
(c) A mental institution.
(d) A glass house.
6. How did Stone feel when Elizabeth was away in Chapter 10?
7. What is the name of the woman who gets Elizabeth to Dunlaoghaire?
(a) Mrs. Mahoney.
(b) Mrs. Moriarty.
(c) Mrs. Lyre.
(d) Mrs. Owen.
8. What does Elizabeth ask Aisling to do in Chapter 9?
(a) Write a letter to her mother.
(b) Send some Irish baking through the mail.
(c) Pray for her.
(d) Visit her in London.
9. What does Violet worry about after receiving Elizabeth's letter in Chapter 3?
(a) Her extreme homesickness.
(b) Her health.
(c) Her grades in school.
(d) Her lack of homesickness.
10. How is Violet described physically in Chapter 8?
(a) As thinner.
(b) As grayer.
(c) As more beautiful.
(d) As plumper.
11. What does Sean agree to do in Chapter 1?
(a) Chaperone Elizabeth on her journey.
(b) Send Elizabeth spending money.
(c) Curb his anti-British views.
(d) Find Elizabeth a family to stay with.
12. Where does Elizabeth stay in order to give her parents time to talk in Chapter 7?
(b) Her grandmother's.
(c) Monica's house.
(d) A hotel.
13. What does Elizabeth's school in England smell like?
(d) Chalk dust.
14. What does Aisling do that pleases Elizabeth in Chapter 2?
(a) She gives Elizabeth a candy.
(b) She invites Elizabeth to skip rope.
(c) She makes a sign for their bedroom.
(d) She tells her brother to stop pushing Elizabeth.
15. What does Aisling think of intercourse in Chapter 7?
(a) She enjoys it.
(b) She thinks it makes people act crazy.
(c) She believes it should be done only to conceive children.
(d) She believes it is overrated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Maureen caught doing in Chapter 4?
2. What shocking news does Violet tell Elizabeth at the end of Chapter 6?
3. Who is Elizabeth employed by at the end of Chapter 7?
4. Why do Elizabeth and Stone spend a night in a hotel in Chapter 8?
5. How old is Eamonn in Chapter 3?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)