Part 1, 1940-1945, Chapter 1
• Violet has been arguing with Elizabeth's teacher about evacuating her class from London.
• Eileen O'Connor, Violet's former classmate in Kilgarret, Ireland, agrees to take Elizabeth in.
• Eileen has many children and an Irish patriot husband with strong anti-English views.
Part 1, 1940-1945, Chapter 2,
• Eileen worries that her noisy household will be traumatic for Elizabeth who is an only child.
• Elizabeth walks into a men's restroom as she is unable to read the Irish signs - her ignorance horrifies Sean Jr.
• Eileen is amused at Elizabeth's modesty and politeness.
• Elizabeth finds Eileen overwhelming in comparison to her mother's slow methodical ways.
• Sean Jr. is desperate to enlist in the army but his father will not let him.
Part 1, 1940-1945, Chapter 3
• Violet worries that Elizabeth seems not to have any homesickness, and wonders about her new religious obsession.
• Sean Jr. fails his Leaving Certificate examination and is put...
This section contains 1,656 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)