|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 16, After 1250.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are communes?
(a) Sewer canals that lead from Troyes to the nearby river.
(b) Special blacksmith anvils for working with gold.
(c) Cities which have negotiated charters.
(d) Long, slender tubes for glass blowing.
2. What disaster befalls Troyes in 1184?
(a) A bad flood.
(b) An outbreak of plague.
(c) A large fire.
(d) A crop failure and famine.
3. What are common maladies in the 13th century?
(a) Bird flu.
(d) Skin diseases.
4. What might a dying man request as a form of penitence?
(a) To dip his coins and other property into a vat of boiling oil.
(b) To lie down on a hair cloth.
(c) To drink the blood of an ox.
(d) To be set upon a raft made out of ebony wood.
5. What is usury?
(a) The process by which raw wool becomes sellable wool.
(b) Lending money at exorbitant rates of interest.
(c) The ability to use a church structure for ceremonies.
(d) A material used to stuff mattresses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are fabliaux?
2. What is a woman in 1250 NOT allowed to do?
3. What is a lying-in chamber?
4. What did a doctor do for common wound and injuries?
5. Which author is depended upon for the central texts to teach grammar in the cathedral school?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)