|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cheng use to bandage her wrists after the handcuffs were removed?
2. How old was Ai-yi?
3. When did Cheng's disabled student come to warn Cheng that the militia was called for an emergency muster?
4. How long did Chinese New Year celebrations last when Cheng was a child?
5. A month of rain was called the huangmei. What was the rain named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Maoists think about individuals who may have made important scientific or artistic contributions to China's cultural life before the Communists came to power?
2. Why did Hean think that the government wanted to be nice to Cheng after her release?
3. What opportunity did Cheng have when she was asked to answer questions about her relatives or friends?
4. Why did Cheng think about the irony of life in China as she watched her disabled student struggle with a disability?
5. What did it mean to get things through the "back door"?
6. What would happen to someone who was expelled from the Communist Party?
7. What agreement did China and Canada make in 1970?
8. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
9. What did Cheng find at the bookstore when she went looking for English textbooks?
10. What did a man read about Cheng's case before she was released?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Confucious said that "A compassionate heart is possessed by every human being." Using examples from the book, discuss whether Cheng found that quotation to be true during the Cultural Revolution.
Essay Topic 2
Da De sad that people were not free agents and that good people were sometimes forced to do bad things. Using examples from the book, explain why in China people were not free agents and why they were forced to do bad things.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the pressures that Cheng's brother experienced that contributed to him making a false accusation against Cheng.
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)