|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the autumn of 1970, what American writer had his photo taken with Mao?
2. How old was Da De's girlfriend?
3. What words did Ai-yi discover written on the front gate?
4. How many lived in the Zhu's half of the house?
5. What book did Da De bring when he first came to Cheng to learn English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would happen to someone who was expelled from the Communist Party?
2. How did Cheng tactfully decline Mr. Hu's proposal?
3. How did Cheng determine if Liu Xing was really a friend of Meiping's?
4. What did Cheng find at the bookstore when she went looking for English textbooks?
5. What agreement did China and Canada make in 1970?
6. What permanent damage was done to Cheng's hands after she was handcuffed for eleven days?
7. What did Maoists think about individuals who may have made important scientific or artistic contributions to China's cultural life before the Communists came to power?
8. What was wrong with Cheng's old friend Winnie?
9. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
10. What did Cheng discover when she went to the Shanghai Athletics Association building to learn more about Meiping's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the overall mood of the book is optimistic or pessimistic. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why Cheng had mixed emotions about leaving China.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the problems that the Zhus caused for Cheng and how Cheng solved those problems.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)