|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Cheng released from No. 1 Dentention House?
2. How old was Da De's girlfriend?
3. Where was Meiping living after the Revolutionaries took Cheng away?
4. What emotions did Cheng feel after a statement was read indicating why she was being released?
5. What did Dr. Gu give to the Shanghai Museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cheng think about the irony of life in China as she watched her disabled student struggle with a disability?
2. What did Cheng want done before she would leave the detention house?
3. How did Cheng solve the problem of visitors showing up day and night?
4. What did a man read about Cheng's case before she was released?
5. What permanent damage was done to Cheng's hands after she was handcuffed for eleven days?
6. What did Cheng say when the interrogators insisted that she had had a photo taken in front of a Kuomintang flag?
7. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
8. What was wrong with Cheng's old friend Winnie?
9. What did Cheng decide had happened when the preface was removed from her book of Mao quotations?
10. What would happen to celebrate the National Day of the People's Republic of China?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the arrest of the Gang of Four changed life for Cheng and others in China.
Essay Topic 2
Hean's mother told Cheng that "we can't always be our true selves." Discuss why it was not possible for Hean's mother, for Cheng, or for others to be their true selves living in China.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss why Cheng had mixed emotions about leaving China.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)