|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words did Ai-yi discover written on the front gate?
2. How much of Cheng's porcelain collection was returned to her?
3. When was Cheng released from No. 1 Dentention House?
4. How was Cheng's disabled student handicapped?
5. Where did Ai-yi's husband and son live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
2. What would happen to celebrate the National Day of the People's Republic of China?
3. How did Cheng solve the problem of visitors showing up day and night?
4. What did Cheng say when the interrogators insisted that she had had a photo taken in front of a Kuomintang flag?
5. When did Cheng first have an inkling that another round of power struggles was occurring at the top?
6. How did Cheng persuade an official to give her a passport application?
7. How did Cheng tactfully decline Mr. Hu's proposal?
8. How did Cheng determine if Liu Xing was really a friend of Meiping's?
9. After giving Cheng eggs in her food, what did the kitchen woman do to keep Cheng from thanking her?
10. What opportunity did Cheng have when she was asked to answer questions about her relatives or friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the accusations made against Cheng and how she responded to the accusations. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Several times during her imprisonment, Cheng determined that she must stay alive. Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Cheng felt that she must stay alive.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the arrest of the Gang of Four changed life for Cheng and others in China.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)