|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What size were Cheng's fingers when her handcuffs were removed?
2. What book did Da De bring when he first came to Cheng to learn English?
3. In a newspaper in 1970, whose name was not listed with the names of members of the standing committee of the Politburo?
4. Where was Meiping born?
5. How far did the Zhus have to go to get water and use the bathroom after the Red Guards looted their home?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Cheng first have an inkling that another round of power struggles was occurring at the top?
2. Why did Cheng think about the irony of life in China as she watched her disabled student struggle with a disability?
3. What permanent damage was done to Cheng's hands after she was handcuffed for eleven days?
4. What did it mean to get things through the "back door"?
5. What did Cheng decide had happened when the preface was removed from her book of Mao quotations?
6. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
7. What did a man read about Cheng's case before she was released?
8. How did Cheng solve the problem of visitors showing up day and night?
9. What opportunity did Cheng have when she was asked to answer questions about her relatives or friends?
10. What would happen to someone who was expelled from the Communist Party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the problems that the Zhus caused for Cheng and how Cheng solved those problems.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss how a faith in God helped Cheng deal with the challenges of imprisonment.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the things that Cheng did while she was in prison to keep herself physically and mentally fit.
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)