|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the militia surround the Zhou's memorial at Tiananmen Square and kill, wound, or arrest unarmed demonstrators?
2. What was the date of the National Day of the People's Republic of China?
3. In a newspaper in 1970, whose name was not listed with the names of members of the standing committee of the Politburo?
4. What besides weeds was growing in the garden of Cheng's home after her release from the detention house?
5. When was the "Gang of Four" arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did it mean to get things through the "back door"?
2. Why did Hean think that the government wanted to be nice to Cheng after her release?
3. How did Cheng solve the problem of visitors showing up day and night?
4. What did Cheng find at the bookstore when she went looking for English textbooks?
5. How did Cheng tactfully decline Mr. Hu's proposal?
6. What was wrong with Cheng's old friend Winnie?
7. Why did Cheng think about the irony of life in China as she watched her disabled student struggle with a disability?
8. How did Cheng persuade an official to give her a passport application?
9. What opportunity did Cheng have when she was asked to answer questions about her relatives or friends?
10. What would happen to someone who was expelled from the Communist Party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether the overall mood of the book is optimistic or pessimistic. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss the pressures that Cheng's brother experienced that contributed to him making a false accusation against Cheng.
Essay Topic 3
Mao believed in learning to swim by swimming. Discuss what Mao meant by that statement and how well the concept worked in actual practice.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)