|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days had Cheng been forced to wear handcuffs?
2. While the interrogators were trying to get Cheng to confirm her brother's accusation, what did they refuse to give her?
3. Where did Ai-yi's husband and son live?
4. How long did Chinese New Year celebrations last when Cheng was a child?
5. How many stands did Cheng want the museum to make for the pieces of her collection that she was keeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cheng think about the irony of life in China as she watched her disabled student struggle with a disability?
2. What did Maoists think about individuals who may have made important scientific or artistic contributions to China's cultural life before the Communists came to power?
3. What did Cheng find at the bookstore when she went looking for English textbooks?
4. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
5. How did Cheng determine if Liu Xing was really a friend of Meiping's?
6. When did Cheng first have an inkling that another round of power struggles was occurring at the top?
7. How did Cheng solve the problem of visitors showing up day and night?
8. What permanent damage was done to Cheng's hands after she was handcuffed for eleven days?
9. Why did Cheng think that she was signaled out for special treatment when she donated her porcelain pieces to the Shanghai Museum?
10. Why did Hean think that the government wanted to be nice to Cheng after her release?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the arrest of the Gang of Four changed life for Cheng and others in China.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the things that Cheng did while she was in prison to keep herself physically and mentally fit.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss the problems that the Zhus caused for Cheng and how Cheng solved those problems.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)