|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanied Cheng to the hospital in Chapter 9?
2. What was every radio station broadcasting in Chapter 4?
3. Where did Cheng and her husband meet?
4. When did Defense Minister Lin Biao abolish all military insignia?
5. What was the penalty for attempting to escape to Hong Kong?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Cultural Revolution was launched, why did Cheng decide not to apply for a travel permit to Hong Kong?
2. What did Cheng see from the window of Meiping's room during the looting by the Red Guards?
3. During a meeting at the technical school in March 1969, why did Cheng laugh when Tao gave a confession?
4. Why did it trouble Cheng that she was put in a ward with surgical cases?
5. What nightmare did Cheng have in Chapter 6?
6. What did going to prison mean in Mao Zedong's China?
7. Why didn't Cheng believe that her cellmate received the death penalty?
8. How did Dr. Song commit suicide in No. 1 Detention House?
9. Describe Cheng's cell at No. 1 Detention House.
10. How did the bout of pneumonia that Cheng suffered in the winter of 1967 lead to her rapid physical deterioration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the problems that the Zhus caused for Cheng and how Cheng solved those problems.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the persecution directed toward Cheng even after her release from the detention house.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss Meiping's attitude toward the challenges she experienced growing up in Communist China, especially since she was from a non-working class family.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)