|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flowers were in a Qjanlong vase on Cheng's desk?
2. Who had been staying at the technical school where Cheng's struggle meeting was held?
3. What was Cheng doing when she was told to report for her first interrogation session?
4. What did Cheng silently recite to herself when handcuffs were waved at her and she was ordered to confess?
5. How many men were in the vehicle that took Cheng from her struggle meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't Cheng afraid to die?
2. Why did Cheng think the United States trained doctor was working in the prison hospital?
3. What advice did Mr. Hu come to give Cheng in Chapter 2?
4. What accusations did the interrogator make against Cheng in Chapter 6?
5. Why didn't Cheng go to Hong Kong when Shell applied to close the office in 1965?
6. What damage did Xiao Xu, a schoolteacher friend of Meiping's, report that the Red Guards were perpetrating in Shanghai?
7. What were the nine categories of enemies during the Cultural Revolution?
8. What did the Red Guards do to Cheng's store cupboard when they looted her house?
9. How did Lao-zhao get information to Cheng?
10. Why didn't Cheng believe that her cellmate received the death penalty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why Mr. Hu advises Cheng to never give a false confession. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why the circumstances of Meiping's death seemed suspicious. Use examples from "Life and Death in Shanghai."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the arrest of the Gang of Four changed life for Cheng and others in China.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)