|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time was Cheng left along in her cell at No. 1 Detention House?
2. How much money was Cheng carrying when she arrived at No. 1 Detention House?
3. Where did Cheng and her husband meet?
4. When did the "Liberation Daily" publish Mao's call for the army to support the leftists?
5. What did a prisoner sing on Christmas Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What nightmare did Cheng have in Chapter 6?
2. What advice did Mr. Hu come to give Cheng in Chapter 2?
3. Why didn't Cheng go to Hong Kong when Shell applied to close the office in 1965?
4. How were the inmates' sheets laundered at No. 1 Detention House?
5. Why did Cheng think the United States trained doctor was working in the prison hospital?
6. What was the delay in activating the Cultural Revolution?
7. How did the bout of pneumonia that Cheng suffered in the winter of 1967 lead to her rapid physical deterioration?
8. What did going to prison mean in Mao Zedong's China?
9. What did the Red Guards do to Cheng's store cupboard when they looted her house?
10. How did Dr. Song commit suicide in No. 1 Detention House?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the accusations made against Cheng and how she responded to the accusations. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Da De sad that people were not free agents and that good people were sometimes forced to do bad things. Using examples from the book, explain why in China people were not free agents and why they were forced to do bad things.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Mr. Hu advises Cheng to never give a false confession. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)