|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the interrogator, what British agents dealt with Cheng?
2. How many rooms and bathrooms were in Cheng's house?
3. What was the name of club where Cheng danced with a Swiss friend in the 1950s?
4. In 1966, how many people in Shanghai lived as Westerners?
5. Where did Li Zhen's children live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the inmates' sheets laundered at No. 1 Detention House?
2. Describe Cheng's cell at No. 1 Detention House.
3. What damage did Xiao Xu, a schoolteacher friend of Meiping's, report that the Red Guards were perpetrating in Shanghai?
4. Why did Xiao Xu tell Cheng that she and Meiping should flee to Hong Kong?
5. What accusations did the interrogator make against Cheng in Chapter 6?
6. How had Cheng been able to get books from a bookshop in London?
7. How was evidence manufactured against Liu Shaoqi?
8. What did the Red Guards do to Cheng's store cupboard when they looted her house?
9. How did the bout of pneumonia that Cheng suffered in the winter of 1967 lead to her rapid physical deterioration?
10. Why did Cheng often think back to a few hours before midnight on July 3, 1966?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times during her imprisonment, Cheng determined that she must stay alive. Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Cheng felt that she must stay alive.
Essay Topic 2
Mao believed in learning to swim by swimming. Discuss what Mao meant by that statement and how well the concept worked in actual practice.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss Meiping's attitude toward the challenges she experienced growing up in Communist China, especially since she was from a non-working class family.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)