|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the penalty for attempting to escape to Hong Kong?
2. Whom did Cheng defend when she was interrogated in Chapter 8?
3. How many days was Cheng forced to return to the interrogation room and read a letter drafted by Mao Zedong in 1948?
4. How many men were in the interrogation room when Cheng was taken for her first interrogation?
5. Who did the interrogator say was a double agent at Shell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the inmates' sheets laundered at No. 1 Detention House?
2. Why didn't Cheng go to Hong Kong when Shell applied to close the office in 1965?
3. What nightmare did Cheng have in Chapter 6?
4. What were some of prison regulations at No. 1 Detention House?
5. What was the delay in activating the Cultural Revolution?
6. What did the Red Guards do to Cheng's store cupboard when they looted her house?
7. How did Dr. Song commit suicide in No. 1 Detention House?
8. What were the nine categories of enemies during the Cultural Revolution?
9. Why did Xiao Xu tell Cheng that she and Meiping should flee to Hong Kong?
10. Why wasn't Cheng afraid to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Confucious said that "A compassionate heart is possessed by every human being." Using examples from the book, discuss whether Cheng found that quotation to be true during the Cultural Revolution.
Essay Topic 2
Several times during her imprisonment, Cheng determined that she must stay alive. Using examples from the book, discuss the reasons why Cheng felt that she must stay alive.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the accusations made against Cheng and how she responded to the accusations. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)