|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had been staying at the technical school where Cheng's struggle meeting was held?
2. What number was Cheng assigned when she was taken to No. 1 Dentention House?
3. How long did Cheng believe that she had to stand and read a letter drafted by Mao Zedong in December 1948?
4. How did Cheng get to and from the struggle meeting for lunch on July 4, 1966?
5. How much money was Cheng carrying when she arrived at No. 1 Detention House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a Red Guard do when Cheng told him it was against the Constitution of the People's Republic to enter a private home without a search warrant?
2. Why did Xiao Xu tell Cheng that she and Meiping should flee to Hong Kong?
3. Why did Li Zhen commit suicide?
4. How did the bout of pneumonia that Cheng suffered in the winter of 1967 lead to her rapid physical deterioration?
5. What was the delay in activating the Cultural Revolution?
6. Why did Cheng think the United States trained doctor was working in the prison hospital?
7. What was one old man's experience with a "rotating struggle"?
8. How were the inmates' sheets laundered at No. 1 Detention House?
9. What was Cheng's job at the Shell Petroleum Company?
10. Why didn't Cheng believe that her cellmate received the death penalty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the persecution directed toward Cheng even after her release from the detention house.
Essay Topic 2
Confucious said that "A compassionate heart is possessed by every human being." Using examples from the book, discuss whether Cheng found that quotation to be true during the Cultural Revolution.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the arrest of the Gang of Four changed life for Cheng and others in China.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)