|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Ai-yi?
(b) About forty.
(c) About fifty.
2. When did Zhou Enlai die?
(a) January, 1976.
(b) February, 1976.
(c) May, 1976.
(d) March, 1976.
3. In a newspaper in 1970, whose name was not listed with the names of members of the standing committee of the Politburo?
(a) Hua Guofeng.
(b) Chen Boda.
(c) Ye Jianying.
(d) Yao Wenyuan.
4. Where did Mr. Hu spend his childhood years?
5. What book did Da De bring when he first came to Cheng to learn English?
(a) The Gathering Storm.
(b) The Birth of Britain.
(c) Never Give In!
(d) The Great Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of Cheng's porcelain pieces did the Shanghai Museum wish to purchase?
2. What words did Ai-yi discover written on the front gate?
3. What did Cheng buy the Zhous for a New Year present?
4. How many stands did Cheng want the museum to make for the pieces of her collection that she was keeping?
5. In the 1970s, who was the chief party secretary in Shanghai?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cheng tactfully decline Mr. Hu's proposal?
2. What agreement did China and Canada make in 1970?
3. What did Cheng decide had happened when the preface was removed from her book of Mao quotations?
4. What would happen to someone who was expelled from the Communist Party?
5. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
6. How did Cheng persuade an official to give her a passport application?
7. What opportunity did Cheng have when she was asked to answer questions about her relatives or friends?
8. What did Cheng find at the bookstore when she went looking for English textbooks?
9. What would happen to celebrate the National Day of the People's Republic of China?
10. What did a man read about Cheng's case before she was released?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)