|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Cheng's mother live?
2. How old was Da De's girlfriend?
3. How much of Cheng's porcelain collection was returned to her?
(a) A little more than half.
(b) About one fourth.
(c) Less than half.
(d) A little more than one fourth.
4. During the autumn of 1970, what American writer had his photo taken with Mao?
(a) Edgar Snow.
(b) Thomas Pynchon.
(c) Don DeLillo.
(d) Cormac McCarthy.
5. How many days had Cheng been forced to wear handcuffs?
(a) Eleven days.
(b) Twelve days.
(c) Ten days.
(d) Thirteen days.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cheng's handcuffs were removed, what extra food was buried at the bottom of her food container?
2. How much of Cheng's money did the Security Bureau issue Hean to furnish Cheng's new home?
3. What foreign official visited Beijing in February, 1972?
4. What was the diagnosis for Cheng's condition when she was taken to the hospital in 1973?
5. Who was waiting for Cheng when she was released from the detention house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cheng think that she was signaled out for special treatment when she donated her porcelain pieces to the Shanghai Museum?
2. After giving Cheng eggs in her food, what did the kitchen woman do to keep Cheng from thanking her?
3. What was wrong with Cheng's old friend Winnie?
4. What did Cheng want done before she would leave the detention house?
5. What did Cheng say when the interrogators insisted that she had had a photo taken in front of a Kuomintang flag?
6. Why did Hean think that the government wanted to be nice to Cheng after her release?
7. How did Cheng determine if Liu Xing was really a friend of Meiping's?
8. What did a man read about Cheng's case before she was released?
9. When did Cheng first have an inkling that another round of power struggles was occurring at the top?
10. Why did Cheng think about the irony of life in China as she watched her disabled student struggle with a disability?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)