|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the old custom of foot-binding linger in some remote rural areas of China?
2. How much of Cheng's money did the Security Bureau issue Hean to furnish Cheng's new home?
(a) 500 yuan.
(b) 4,000 yuan.
(c) 5,000 yuan.
(d) 400 yuan.
3. What did Cheng use to bandage her wrists after the handcuffs were removed?
(a) A pillowcase.
(b) Bits of towels.
(c) Part of a quilt.
(d) Strips of clothing.
4. After Cheng's handcuffs were removed, what extra food was buried at the bottom of her food container?
(a) A piece of pork.
(b) Scrambled eggs.
(c) A piece of beef.
(d) Two hard-boiled eggs.
5. While the interrogators were trying to get Cheng to confirm her brother's accusation, what did they refuse to give her?
(c) Hot showers.
(d) Sulfa drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotions did Cheng feel after a statement was read indicating why she was being released?
2. What vehicle was waiting to take Cheng to her new home after her release from the detention house?
3. How many students was Cheng teaching English to in Chapter 15?
4. What was the name of Meiping's fiance?
5. When was the "Gang of Four" arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
2. What opportunity did Cheng have when she was asked to answer questions about her relatives or friends?
3. What did Cheng find at the bookstore when she went looking for English textbooks?
4. What did Cheng discover when she went to the Shanghai Athletics Association building to learn more about Meiping's death?
5. What did it mean to get things through the "back door"?
6. What did Maoists think about individuals who may have made important scientific or artistic contributions to China's cultural life before the Communists came to power?
7. How did Cheng solve the problem of visitors showing up day and night?
8. When did Cheng first have an inkling that another round of power struggles was occurring at the top?
9. What permanent damage was done to Cheng's hands after she was handcuffed for eleven days?
10. What did a man read about Cheng's case before she was released?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)