|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Cheng use to bandage her wrists after the handcuffs were removed?
(a) Strips of clothing.
(b) Bits of towels.
(c) A pillowcase.
(d) Part of a quilt.
2. What type of a funeral did Cheng's mother have?
3. During the autumn of 1970, what American writer had his photo taken with Mao?
(a) Edgar Snow.
(b) Don DeLillo.
(c) Thomas Pynchon.
(d) Cormac McCarthy.
4. Why was Cheng questioned by a member of the Military Control Commission of the People's Art Theater?
(a) To discuss Du Fu.
(b) To discuss Chen Boda.
(c) To discuss Lin Liguo.
(d) To discuss Huang Zuolin.
5. What was the diagnosis for Cheng's condition when she was taken to the hospital in 1973?
(a) Colon cancer.
(b) Uterine cancer.
(c) Kidney cancer.
(d) Bladder cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Cheng's mother live?
2. When did Meiping die?
3. What did one doctor refuse to sell to the Shanghai Museum?
4. After Cheng's handcuffs were removed, what extra food was buried at the bottom of her food container?
5. When did the United States and China establish diplomatic relations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What opportunity did Cheng have when she was asked to answer questions about her relatives or friends?
2. What permanent damage was done to Cheng's hands after she was handcuffed for eleven days?
3. What did Cheng discover when she went to the Shanghai Athletics Association building to learn more about Meiping's death?
4. What did Maoists think about individuals who may have made important scientific or artistic contributions to China's cultural life before the Communists came to power?
5. After giving Cheng eggs in her food, what did the kitchen woman do to keep Cheng from thanking her?
6. How did Cheng tactfully decline Mr. Hu's proposal?
7. Why did Cheng think about the irony of life in China as she watched her disabled student struggle with a disability?
8. Why wasn't China an egalitarian society?
9. How did Cheng persuade an official to give her a passport application?
10. What did Cheng find at the bookstore when she went looking for English textbooks?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)