|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year did Mr. Hu start the business that later was turned over to the Communists?
2. When was possession of firearms in China declared to be illegal?
3. What physical problems was Cheng having in the fall of 1968?
(c) Fainting spells.
4. Who accompanied Cheng to the hospital in Chapter 9?
(a) A Labor Reform worker.
(b) A female guard.
(c) A male guard.
(d) Cheng's former interrogator.
5. What did Cheng silently recite to herself when handcuffs were waved at her and she was ordered to confess?
(a) Lamentations 3.
(b) Psalm 27.
(c) John 14.
(d) Psalm 23.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cheng say that her collection may be worth when the Red Guards are looting her home?
2. When did the Red Guards come to loot Cheng's house?
3. How often were prisoners allowed a hot shower at No. 1 Detention House?
4. When was Mao's essay "On the Dictatorship of the People's Democracy" published?
5. What book did Cheng take with her when she went to let the Red Guard into her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Cheng's cell at No. 1 Detention House.
2. What damage did Xiao Xu, a schoolteacher friend of Meiping's, report that the Red Guards were perpetrating in Shanghai?
3. Why didn't Cheng believe that her cellmate received the death penalty?
4. Why did Li Zhen commit suicide?
5. How did the bout of pneumonia that Cheng suffered in the winter of 1967 lead to her rapid physical deterioration?
6. During a meeting at the technical school in March 1969, why did Cheng laugh when Tao gave a confession?
7. How had Cheng been able to get books from a bookshop in London?
8. After the Cultural Revolution was launched, why did Cheng decide not to apply for a travel permit to Hong Kong?
9. How did Cheng gain a moral advantage over her interrogator and reinforce her self-confidence?
10. How did Dr. Song commit suicide in No. 1 Detention House?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)