|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of club where Cheng danced with a Swiss friend in the 1950s?
(a) Shanghai Club.
(b) German Club.
(c) British Club.
(d) French Club.
2. How long after Meiping's birthday party did Li Zhen commit suicide?
(a) A month later.
(b) Eight weeks later.
(c) Two weeks. later.
(d) About three months later.
3. How many senior high school students who were members of the Red Guard came to loot Cheng's house?
(b) Thirty to forty.
(d) Fifty to sixty.
4. Who did the interrogator say was a double agent at Shell?
(a) The British secretary to the general manager.
(b) The German secretary to the general manager.
(c) The White Russian secretary to the general manager.
(d) The Australian secretary to the general manager.
5. Who was named to conduct the Cultural Revolution in Shanghai by Mao's wife?
(a) Zhang Chunqiao.
(b) Zhang Yufeng.
(c) Lin Liguo.
(d) Wan Li.
Short Answer Questions
1. What number was Cheng assigned when she was taken to No. 1 Dentention House?
2. By the winter of 1967, how many times a day did everyone have to read from Mao's book of quotations?
3. How often did Cheng travel to Hong Kong when she worked at Shell?
4. What type of flowers were in a Qjanlong vase on Cheng's desk?
5. Who was named Mao's successor at the Ninth Party Congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did going to prison mean in Mao Zedong's China?
2. Why didn't Cheng go to Hong Kong when Shell applied to close the office in 1965?
3. What did the Red Guards do to Cheng's store cupboard when they looted her house?
4. Why did Xiao Xu tell Cheng that she and Meiping should flee to Hong Kong?
5. What did Cheng see from the window of Meiping's room during the looting by the Red Guards?
6. What did Mr. Hu say about Communist Party officials and an inferiority complex?
7. How did the bout of pneumonia that Cheng suffered in the winter of 1967 lead to her rapid physical deterioration?
8. What did Cheng do to try to discipline herself with physical and mental exercise?
9. How did Cheng gain a moral advantage over her interrogator and reinforce her self-confidence?
10. During a meeting at the technical school in March 1969, why did Cheng laugh when Tao gave a confession?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)