|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At No. 1 Detention House, when did Cheng wake with a streaming cold and a severe headache?
(a) End of November.
(b) End of September.
(c) End of October.
(d) End of December.
2. What was the real source of news for the Chinese people?
(a) Footpath news.
(c) Foreign newspapers.
(d) Underground pamphlets.
3. When did the "Liberation Daily" publish Mao's call for the army to support the leftists?
(a) Fall, 1967.
(b) Winter, 1967.
(c) Summer, 1967.
(d) Spring, 1967.
4. Where was Cheng kicked when she tried to stop a young man from breaking some of her collection when the Red Guards were in her home?
5. What did Cheng silently recite to herself when handcuffs were waved at her and she was ordered to confess?
(a) Psalm 27.
(b) Lamentations 3.
(c) John 14.
(d) Psalm 23.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cheng was taken to a struggle meeting on July 4, 1966, who was the target of the meeting?
2. How many categories of enemies were there during the Cultural Revolution?
3. Where did Cheng and her husband meet?
4. Who gave Cheng a cup of hot water during Cheng's second winter at the detention house when she had a bad cold?
5. Who was named Mao's successor at the Ninth Party Congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lao-zhao get information to Cheng?
2. What did Cheng do to try to discipline herself with physical and mental exercise?
3. Why didn't Cheng believe that her cellmate received the death penalty?
4. Describe Cheng's cell at No. 1 Detention House.
5. What did a Red Guard do when Cheng told him it was against the Constitution of the People's Republic to enter a private home without a search warrant?
6. Why did the overthrow of the Shanghai municipal government by the radicals shatter any hope Cheng had of a quick solution to her predicament?
7. What damage did Xiao Xu, a schoolteacher friend of Meiping's, report that the Red Guards were perpetrating in Shanghai?
8. Why did Li Zhen commit suicide?
9. Why did Cheng decide not to make a false confession?
10. Why did it trouble Cheng that she was put in a ward with surgical cases?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)