|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Cheng and her husband meet?
(d) United States.
2. At Cheng's struggle meeting, the man in the tinted glasses told how many Chinese were killed in the eight year war with Japan. How many Chinese were killed?
(a) One million.
(b) Five million.
(c) Ten million.
(d) Twelve million.
3. What business did Mr. Hu own until 1956?
(a) Paint factory.
(b) Cereal factory.
(c) Canned goods factory.
(d) Clothing factory.
4. In August of 1968, what gift did Mao send to workers at Qinghua University?
5. What was the real source of news for the Chinese people?
(a) Underground pamphlets.
(b) Footpath news.
(d) Foreign newspapers.
6. Who signed the order permitting Shell to retain its head office in Shanghai?
(a) Han Suyin.
(b) Mao Yuanxin.
(c) Zhou Enlai.
(d) Sun Yatsen.
7. By the winter of 1967, how many times a day did everyone have to read from Mao's book of quotations?
(a) Five times.
(b) Three times.
(c) Two times.
(d) Four times.
8. How many categories of enemies were there during the Cultural Revolution?
9. How long did Cheng believe that she had to stand and read a letter drafted by Mao Zedong in December 1948?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Five hours.
(c) Seven hours.
(d) Eight hours.
10. When did the Red Guards come to loot Cheng's house?
(a) August 30, 1966.
(b) December 1, 1967.
(c) March 12, 1965.
(d) September 12, 1968.
11. When did the "Liberation Daily" publish Mao's call for the army to support the leftists?
(a) Spring, 1967.
(b) Fall, 1967.
(c) Winter, 1967.
(d) Summer, 1967.
12. Approximately how many prisoners worked in TIlanqiao prison compound producing goods?
(a) Over 10,000.
(b) About 8,000.
(c) About 15,000.
(d) Over 20,000.
13. Who was named to conduct the Cultural Revolution in Shanghai by Mao's wife?
(a) Zhang Chunqiao.
(b) Wan Li.
(c) Lin Liguo.
(d) Zhang Yufeng.
14. How many people did Mr. Hu say in each organization must be declared to be the "enemy" because that is the percentage that Chairman Mao mentioned in a speech?
(a) Twelve per cent.
(b) Six per cent.
(c) Three to five per cent.
(d) One per cent.
15. Who gave Cheng a cup of hot water during Cheng's second winter at the detention house when she had a bad cold?
(a) Her former interrogator.
(b) A former female interrogator.
(c) A guard.
(d) A Labor Reform worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1966, how many people in Shanghai lived as Westerners?
2. How many years was the Cultural Revolution in effect?
3. Whom did Cheng defend when she was interrogated in Chapter 8?
4. What did Cheng use to make an eye shade to cover her eyes at night?
5. When did the Communist Army enter Shanghai?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)