Part I: Chapter I, Witch Hunt
• Nien Cheng's story begins during the Cultural Revolution in July, 1966.
• Cheng is one of about a dozen families in her city of ten million who continue to live as Westerners.
• Not many families in Shaghai lived that way in the seventeen years since the Communist Party took over China.
• Because of her job as a Shell Oil assistant, Cheng has servants and many luxuries.
• After her husband died in 1957, Cheng was given the job at Shell.
• Until 1966, Cheng works as a Shell assistant to the management staff to help foreign managers avoid numerous political and social pitfalls that existed in China during that time.
• On July 4, 1966, Cheng is wakened at half past six by two men asking to speak with her.
• Realizing they are most likely bringing bad news, she first eats a small breakfast, gets dressed, and then goes to speak...
This section contains 4,825 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)