|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which shipman can speak and understand Spanish?
2. A pending war with France would mean _______________.
(a) There would need to be a draft of soldiers.
(b) The re-expansion of the Royal Navy.
(c) The country would go further into debt.
(d) There would be cutbacks for the Royal Navy.
3. While Bush and Hornblower dine with the new Captain of the Renown, they enjoy __________________.
(b) Fresh lamb.
(c) Crab salad.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
4. Hornblower's landlady is ___________________.
(a) Mrs. Manson.
(b) Mrs. Masons.
(c) Mrs. Masters.
(d) Mrs. Mason.
5. Bush hadn't been to the Kingston station in _____ years.
6. Bush lives in a cottage with _________________.
(a) His sisters.
(b) No one.
(c) His mother and father.
(d) His wife.
7. The gun that Bush and Hornblower choose to use in their plan weighs _____.
(a) 1 ton.
(b) 2 tons.
(c) 1.5 tons.
(d) 2.5 tons.
8. It becomes known to the reader that Whiting ________ during the prisoners' rebellion.
(a) Kills Colonel Ortega.
(c) Is thrown overboard.
9. The "Morning Chronicle" says Napoleon is going to call himself __________________.
(b) First Consul.
10. Finish the quote: "The Court of Inquiry was not nearly as awe-inspiring as a ________."
(a) Court martial.
11. In reference to the evening of playing cards with Hornblower, Admiral Parry says that the night is _________________.
(a) Amusing as well as frustrating.
(b) Irritating as well as amusing.
(c) Instructive as well as amusing.
(d) Instructive as well as irritating.
12. What is the first concern of the previously-mentioned Spanish officer?
(a) The safety of the soldiers taken prisoner.
(b) The damage done to the fort.
(c) The safety of the women prisoners.
(d) Safe passage to Cuba.
13. What is the British currency prior to the use of "dirty notes"?
(a) Golden guineas.
(b) The Florin.
(c) Silver pieces.
(d) Pound sterling.
14. Hornblower is in charge of the ships by commanding the largest called _________________.
(a) La Infanta.
(b) La Gaditana.
(c) La Cristobal.
(d) La Maria.
15. In Bush's mind, what is the trickiest piece of work in that morning's activities?
(a) Figuring out the ropes.
(b) The final lift and carry of the gun.
(c) Organizing the men.
(d) Dealing with insubordination of the men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bush must hurry to catch the carrier wagon back to __________________.
2. Because of the declaration of peace, national ships of the ___________ Republic(s) would be "soluted with the honours due to foreign ships of war."
3. Who says, "No peace for the wicked"?
4. In Portsmouth, Bush runs into Hornblower. Why isn't the latter a commander?
5. What colors are the Spanish officers' uniforms?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)