* Lt. William Bush comes aboard the H.M.S. Renown.
* Bush meets Junior Lieutenant Horatio Hornblower, who seems to be a "firebrand."
* Captain Sawyer's behavior is described as being unusual.
* Captain Sawyer accuses the volunteer Wellard and Horatio Hornblower of conspiracy after Hornblower defends Wellard.
* The Captain singles out Wellard throughout the rest of the chapter and has him beaten several times with a cane.
* It is the fourth Sunday of the month, on which day the Captain is to read the Articles of War, which were as "all-embracing as the Ten Commandments" and "as rigid as Leviticus."
* Captain Sawyer specifically emphasizes the 19th Article concerning the consequences of mutinous assembly, the main consequence being death.
* Captain Sawyer orders "rope yarn Sunday" and "double rum" for the men, which means that the men could be idle and drink the day away.
* Lt. Bush observes that...
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)