|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Carey Carr's wife?
2. In what city is Peyton married?
3. Why does Peyton leave the family celebration early?
4. Helen's demeanor is always ______________.
5. Against whom are the Southerners in the story prejudiced?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Helen make to Carey as they leave for the cemetery which acts as foreshadowing?
2. What do Carey and Milton talk about while waiting in the roadhouse for the hearse to be repaired?
3. What does Milton remember about the Christmas of 1941?
4. What does Milton do to embarrass himself at the university football game?
5. How does the author show that Milton has inappropriate feelings for Peyton?
6. What is the perception of the Southern wedding guests toward Harry?
7. What is the significance of the characters coming closer to the cemetery?
8. What trip do Helen and Maudie take in November of 1942?
9. What news does Helen have about Maudie and why is she so angry at Milton and Peyton when they finally return to the hospital?
10. What was the nature of Helen's meeting with Dolly at the tearoom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Styron use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the funeral hearse that keeps breaking down. What did Styron want the reader to take away from this recurring incident? What symbolism does the hearse have for the main characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS is a classic story of betrayal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)