|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Carey Carr's wife?
2. Where do Milton and Dolly spend the night when Helen is out of town?
3. Who does Helen hold solely responsible for Maudie's death?
4. What is Peyton's husband's religious affiliation?
5. Helen tells Carey that she no longer believes in ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peyton and Harry's first night as a married couple mirror Milton and Helen's marriage?
2. Why does Carey find it difficult to minister to Helen?
3. What is Dolly's response to Helen's accusations and demands at the tearoom?
4. Does Helen seek out Carey for her belief in God or something else?
5. What was the nature of Helen's meeting with Dolly at the tearoom?
6. Why is Helen so angry with Peyton and Milton on Peyton's wedding day?
7. What does Milton do to embarrass himself at the university football game?
8. What is ironic about La Ruth's outburst on the day of Peyton's funeral?
9. What is the significance of the characters coming closer to the cemetery?
10. What is the nature of Christmas 1941 in the Loftis household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Milton. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the novel LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)