|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carey's first impression of Helen?
2. What does the person in #100 want Helen to do about Milton?
3. To whom is Milton writing a letter while Helen and Maudie are out of town?
4. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
5. What is Peyton's husband's religious affiliation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comment does Helen make to Carey as they leave for the cemetery which acts as foreshadowing?
2. What is the perception of the Southern wedding guests toward Harry?
3. What is the significance of the characters coming closer to the cemetery?
4. What was the nature of Helen's meeting with Dolly at the tearoom?
5. What is Dolly's response to Helen's accusations and demands at the tearoom?
6. What does Milton do to embarrass himself at the university football game?
7. What does Helen do when Dolly calls the Loftis home on Christmas?
8. What does Dick do while Helen and Maudie are out of town and he has the house to himself?
9. In addition to the other parent/child relationships in the novel, how does Carey Carr's personal story fit in?
10. What is the nature of the letter Milton writes to Peyton while Helen and Maudie are out of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the funeral hearse that keeps breaking down. What did Styron want the reader to take away from this recurring incident? What symbolism does the hearse have for the main characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Helen. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Even though they are both important in Milton's life, Helen and Dolly are very different. Compare and contrast Helen and Dolly. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)