|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dolly's son?
2. On whom did Milton continually lavish attention?
3. Who becomes hysterical when Maudie is found bound and gagged?
4. What drink do Milton and Dolly have at the bar?
5. With whom has Milton been having an affair for many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of the country club for the Loftis family's dysfunctions?
2. What are some of Helen's recollections in Chapter 1?
3. What does Milton tell Dolly about Peyton's distressful adjustment to New York City?
4. How do Dolly and Helen differ in their views on motherhood?
5. How does Helen use Maudie's physical afflictions as a tool?
6. How does the experience of the black people contrast with the lives of the supposedly more fortunate Loftis family?
7. How do thoughts of Peyton lead Milton to think about his own father and what does he recall about that relationship?
8. How does the author provide more in-depth information about Milton and Helen's marriage?
9. Describe Dolly's feelings about Peyton.
10. Explain the narrative structure of LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though they are both important in Milton's life, Helen and Dolly are very different. Compare and contrast Helen and Dolly. What similarities do they share? How are they different?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the novel LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Styron use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)