|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The body is being transported from the train station to ___________________.
2. Whose words are italicized in the book?
3. What does Helen recall in this chapter?
4. On whom did Milton continually lavish attention?
5. What does Mr. Casper do to the hearse at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the hearse that keeps breaking down on the way to the cemetery?
2. How does the narrator address the reader and how is setting established in the novel?
3. Describe Dolly's feelings about Peyton.
4. What does Milton tell Dolly about Peyton's distressful adjustment to New York City?
5. For what reasons do Helen and Milton blame each other for their collapsing marriage?
6. Who are the main characters in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
7. How can Dolly best be characterized?
8. Describe Peyton's interactions with men and what value they have for her.
9. How does the author provide more in-depth information about Milton and Helen's marriage?
10. How do Dolly and Helen differ in their views on motherhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hate takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the funeral hearse that keeps breaking down. What did Styron want the reader to take away from this recurring incident? What symbolism does the hearse have for the main characters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Milton, Helen and Dolly. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)