|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the reasons Helen thought Milton would destroy their family?
2. Who is the funeral director's assistant?
3. Who is the protagonist of the story?
4. What does Dolly sense about Milton lately?
5. Where is Peyton living after leaving college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS begin?
2. What does Milton tell Dolly about Peyton's distressful adjustment to New York City?
3. How do Dolly and Helen differ in their views on motherhood?
4. Where does Dolly find Milton when the train arrives at the station?
5. Describe Dolly's feelings about Peyton.
6. Explain the narrative structure of LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS.
7. Describe Peyton's interactions with men and what value they have for her.
8. Describe the activity surrounding Daddy Faith.
9. How does the author indicate the importance of Milton's father's words?
10. What is the role of the country club for the Loftis family's dysfunctions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 7, the author provides Peyton's thoughts through a technique called stream of consciousness. Define stream of consciousness. Then explain how Chapter 7 uses this technique. Why would the author choose to use this technique in his novel? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the alarm clock. What does the alarm clock symbolize for the story? What does it symbolize for Peyton in particular? Explain.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)