|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Helen take Maudie on the trip in #118?
(a) They are going on a shopping trip.
(b) They are going to the beach.
(c) They are going sightseeing.
(d) She has been having leg pain.
2. What does Carey try to talk to Milton about in the roadhouse?
(a) Reconciling with Helen.
(b) Heading up a fundraiser.
(c) Leading the youth group.
(d) Coming back to church.
3. What does the person in #100 want Helen to do about Milton?
(a) Take him back.
(b) Divorce him.
(c) Kill him.
(d) Separate for a little while.
4. Where do Peyton and Harry go on their honeymoon?
5. What does Helen admit to Carey on the day they meet?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She has had an abortion.
(c) She wants to commit suicide.
(d) She hates her daughter, Peyton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the message of the telegram Milton receives?
2. Who has an emotional outburst in Helen's bedroom?
3. Helen tells Carey that she no longer believes in ________________.
4. Against whom are the Southerners in the story prejudiced?
5. Why does Peyton tell Harry that she married him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the characters coming closer to the cemetery?
2. What comment does Helen make to Carey as they leave for the cemetery which acts as foreshadowing?
3. How does Peyton and Harry's first night as a married couple mirror Milton and Helen's marriage?
4. Why is Helen so angry with Peyton and Milton on Peyton's wedding day?
5. What does Milton do to embarrass himself at the university football game?
6. What trip do Helen and Maudie take in November of 1942?
7. What news does Helen have about Maudie and why is she so angry at Milton and Peyton when they finally return to the hospital?
8. What does Helen do when Dolly calls the Loftis home on Christmas?
9. What does Carey Carr recall about his first meeting with Helen?
10. What do Carey and Milton talk about while waiting in the roadhouse for the hearse to be repaired?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)