|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Dolly's ex-husband's nickname?
2. Where does Dolly find Milton?
(a) A diner.
(b) A bar.
(c) A phone booth.
(d) A newspaper stand.
3. Where is the train at the beginning of Chapter 2?
(a) It has come and gone.
(b) It is stalled two miles from the station.
(c) It is at the station.
(d) It has not left its departure station.
4. As the novel opens, the narrator describes a train trip from __________________ to Port Warwick.
5. Why did Milton feel such a sense of shame?
(a) Because he had two failed businesses.
(b) Because he was fired.
(c) Because his marriage was a fiasco.
(d) Because he had multiple affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Milton, Dolly and Ella going in a limousine?
2. What is the state of the Loftis' marriage?
3. Who is Dolly's son?
4. What about Dolly now irritates Milton?
5. What is the main industry in Port Warwick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dolly disheartened by Milton's behavior when they're having drinks at the country club?
2. As Dolly rides in the limousine on the way to the cemetery, what are her thoughts about her relationship with Milton?
3. How does the narrator address the reader and how is setting established in the novel?
4. How can Dolly best be characterized?
5. How do Dolly and Helen differ in their views on motherhood?
6. Describe Dolly's feelings about Peyton.
7. How does LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS begin?
8. For what reasons do Helen and Milton blame each other for their collapsing marriage?
9. What does Milton tell Dolly about Peyton's distressful adjustment to New York City?
10. How does Helen use Maudie's physical afflictions as a tool?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)