|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Dolly's ex-husband?
2. On whom did Milton continually lavish attention?
3. Where does Dolly find Milton?
(a) A bar.
(b) A newspaper stand.
(c) A diner.
(d) A phone booth.
4. As the novel opens, the narrator describes a train trip from __________________ to Port Warwick.
5. What item is mentioned in the letter to Milton?
(b) Alarm clock.
(d) Hair brush.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Milton been having an affair with Dolly at this point?
2. What about Dolly now irritates Milton?
3. Who is the funeral director?
4. Why is Peyton struggling in her new life after college?
5. What is Maudie's condition that keeps her mother preoccupied with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the letter that Milton reads while waiting for the train?
2. What did Peyton and Buster do to Maudie that ends in Helen's slapping Peyton in front of people?
3. How do thoughts of Peyton lead Milton to think about his own father and what does he recall about that relationship?
4. How does LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS begin?
5. How does the author provide more in-depth information about Milton and Helen's marriage?
6. What are Milton's feelings toward Dolly at this point and why has she accompanied him to the train station?
7. What is the symbolism of the hearse that keeps breaking down on the way to the cemetery?
8. What are some of the things Milton remembers as he waits for the train bearing Peyton's body?
9. How does the experience of the black people contrast with the lives of the supposedly more fortunate Loftis family?
10. What does Milton tell Dolly about Peyton's distressful adjustment to New York City?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)