|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years have Milton and Helen been separated?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
2. What is Milton Loftis' wife's name?
3. What drink do Milton and Dolly have at the bar?
(b) Scotch and soda.
(c) Gin and tonic.
4. What did Milton always consider his father to be?
(a) A failure.
(b) An everyman.
(c) A hero.
(d) A good guy.
5. Where are Milton and Dolly as they talk over drinks?
(a) A bar.
(b) A fundraiser.
(c) A cookout.
(d) The country club.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does the novel open?
2. On whose money was Milton essentially living?
3. To what conclusion does Milton come about Helen?
4. What college did Milton Loftis attend?
5. What is Peyton's interest in men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Peyton and Buster do to Maudie that ends in Helen's slapping Peyton in front of people?
2. Describe Peyton's interactions with men and what value they have for her.
3. What is the symbolism of the hearse that keeps breaking down on the way to the cemetery?
4. Explain the narrative structure of LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS.
5. How do thoughts of Peyton lead Milton to think about his own father and what does he recall about that relationship?
6. How does the author indicate the importance of Milton's father's words?
7. Describe the activity surrounding Daddy Faith.
8. How does Helen use Maudie's physical afflictions as a tool?
9. How does the narrator address the reader and how is setting established in the novel?
10. How can Dolly best be characterized?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)