|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the only reason Helen continued to stay with Milton?
(a) Their daughter, Maudie.
(b) She wanted to work it out.
(c) He made good money.
(d) She didn't want to leave her home.
2. What item is mentioned in the letter to Milton?
(a) Alarm clock.
(d) Hair brush.
3. What happens to the hearse carrying the body from the train station?
(a) It crashes into a truck.
(b) It gets a flat tire.
(c) It breaks down.
(d) It keeps overheating.
4. When the narrative shifts to Peyton's birthday, what year is it?
5. How did Dolly feel about Peyton?
(a) She liked her as a friend.
(b) She could take her or leave her.
(c) She didn't care for her.
(d) She adored her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had bound and gagged Maudie?
2. Why did Milton feel such a sense of shame?
3. Whose words are italicized in the book?
4. What does Milton recall about Dolly?
5. How long has Milton been having an affair with Dolly at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator address the reader and how is setting established in the novel?
2. How can Dolly best be characterized?
3. How does Helen feel about Dolly and her husband and when does she know there is something going on between Dolly and Milton?
4. How do Dolly and Helen differ in their views on motherhood?
5. What is the role of the country club for the Loftis family's dysfunctions?
6. What is significant about the letter that Milton reads while waiting for the train?
7. How does the author provide more in-depth information about Milton and Helen's marriage?
8. For what reasons do Helen and Milton blame each other for their collapsing marriage?
9. What are some of Helen's recollections in Chapter 1?
10. As Dolly rides in the limousine on the way to the cemetery, what are her thoughts about her relationship with Milton?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)