|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carey's impression when he sees Helen ready to leave for the funeral?
(a) She looks younger than ever.
(b) She is so pale and gaunt.
(c) She is old and ugly.
(d) She is incredibly sad.
2. What did Milton watch during Peyton's wedding?
(a) The candles.
(b) The minister.
(c) Peyton's derriere.
(d) Peyton's face.
3. Where do Peyton and Harry go on their honeymoon?
4. What reason does Dolly give Helen for Milton's interest in Dolly?
(a) She is more loving than Helen.
(b) She is prettier than Helen.
(c) She is more generous than Helen.
(d) She is smarter than Helen.
5. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
(a) A gas station.
(b) A bar.
(c) A convenience store.
(d) A roadside rest.
6. Where does Helen take Maudie in November of 1942?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A special school.
(c) New York.
7. What does Harry caution Peyton about on their wedding day?
(a) Staying too late.
(b) Being late to her own wedding.
(c) Drinking too much.
(d) Talking too much.
8. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Peyton and Harry.
(b) Milton and Dolly.
(c) Milton and Peyton.
(d) Helen and Milton.
9. Carey recalls that after Maudie's death, Helen and Milton ____________________.
(a) Were preparing to divorce.
(b) Were distraught in their grief.
(c) Were inseparable.
(d) Were reconciled.
10. Why is Helen angry at Milton and Peyton when they arrive at the hospital?
(a) They are too noisy.
(b) They are both drunk.
(c) They didn't bring Helen's overnight bag.
(d) They didn't bring a gift for Maudie.
11. What is Helen's remark as she and Carey leave the house?
(a) The early bird gets the worm.
(b) Better late than never.
(c) All's fair in love and war.
(d) The end is near.
12. In what city is Peyton married?
(d) Port Warwick.
13. What does the person in #100 want Helen to do about Milton?
(a) Divorce him.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Take him back.
(d) Separate for a little while.
14. Why has the hearse stopped on the way to the cemetery?
(a) It has broken down.
(b) It is at a red light.
(c) It is waiting for a train.
(d) It is out of gas.
15. Helen views Peyton and Milton as _____________________.
(a) Best friends.
(b) Co-conspirators in the destruction of their family.
(c) More social than she.
(d) Highly creative people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about Peyton on her wedding day?
2. How does Peyton injure Helen before leaving on her honeymoon?
3. What does Carey try to talk to Milton about in the roadhouse?
4. Why does Peyton tell Harry that she married him?
5. Who is Peyton's husband?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)