|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Helen hold solely responsible for Maudie's death?
(a) La Ruth.
2. What are Milton's feelings about his marriage to Helen?
(a) He wants her to take him back.
(b) He wants to remain separated.
(c) He loves her but he can't be married to her.
(d) He wants a divorce.
3. Where does Carey Carr take Helen at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The funeral home.
(b) School Board meeting.
(c) Ladies luncheon.
4. Where did Helen and Edward go to college?
(a) Mercer College.
(b) Emory University.
(c) Duke University.
(d) University of Virginia.
5. What does Milton do while Peyton and Helen argue?
(a) Tries to separate them.
(b) Goes out for more liquor.
(c) Calls Dolly.
(d) Watches TV.
6. Why is Helen angry at Milton and Peyton when they arrive at the hospital?
(a) They didn't bring a gift for Maudie.
(b) They are both drunk.
(c) They are too noisy.
(d) They didn't bring Helen's overnight bag.
7. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
(a) A bar.
(b) A roadside rest.
(c) A convenience store.
(d) A gas station.
8. Where does Helen take Maudie in November of 1942?
(a) A special school.
(b) New York.
(c) A doctor.
9. What is Peyton's husband's religious affiliation?
10. Dolly tells Helen that she will carry on with Milton ________________________.
(a) For as long as Milton is interested.
(b) Until she is finished with him.
(d) No longer.
11. What is the name of Helen's brother who was at the Loftis home at the time?
12. What is Helen's remark as she and Carey leave the house?
(a) The early bird gets the worm.
(b) Better late than never.
(c) All's fair in love and war.
(d) The end is near.
13. What is the literary technique used when portraying Helen as restrained on the day of her daughter's funeral when the person in #100 has an emotional outburst?
14. How does Peyton injure Helen before leaving on her honeymoon?
(a) Slaps her face.
(b) Pushes her down the stairs.
(c) Throws a glass at her.
(d) Scratches her face and draws blood.
15. What is Milton's condition at the end of the football game?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city is Peyton married?
2. To whom is Milton writing a letter while Helen and Maudie are out of town?
3. What is Carey's first impression of Helen?
4. Why has the hearse stopped on the way to the cemetery?
5. What is the topic of the meeting between Helen and Dolly?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)