|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Milton do while Peyton and Helen argue?
(a) Goes out for more liquor.
(b) Calls Dolly.
(c) Tries to separate them.
(d) Watches TV.
2. What is Carey's first impression of Helen?
(a) She is intense.
(b) She is morose.
(c) She is grieving.
(d) She is a joy.
3. Where does Helen take Maudie in November of 1942?
(b) New York.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A special school.
4. Why does the funeral party stop at a gas station?
(a) The hearse is out of gas.
(b) Dolly needs to use a restroom.
(c) Milton needs something to drink.
(d) The hearse overheats again.
5. What is the topic of the meeting between Helen and Dolly?
(a) College choices for their kids.
(b) Prom dresses for their daughters.
(c) Dolly's affair with Milton.
(d) A school fundraiser.
6. What type of kiss does Milton give Peyton on her wedding day?
(b) Peck on cheek.
(d) Light kiss on forehead.
7. How long had Helen waited for Milton to return to the hospital?
(a) All day.
(b) A couple of hours.
(c) Just about an hour.
(d) Two days.
8. Where does Milton go with the person in #126?
(a) Basketball game.
(b) Bar hopping.
(c) Country club.
(d) Fraternity house party.
9. Where do Milton and Dolly spend the night when Helen is out of town?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In Dolly's home.
(c) In Helen's bed.
(d) In a bed and breakfast.
10. What is the message of the telegram Milton receives?
(a) Tuition due right away.
(b) Maddie had baby girl.
(c) Send money right away.
(d) Come to Charlottesville right away.
11. Why does Dolly call the Loftis house prior to the celebration in #110?
(a) To tell Milton that she has not seen him in quite awhile.
(b) To tell Helen about a library fundraiser.
(c) To tell Milton that she has a Christmas gift for him.
(d) To invite Milton and Helen for cocktails.
12. What is Helen doing when Carey arrives at her house?
(a) Making coffee.
(c) Putting on her makeup.
(d) Taking a shower.
13. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Peyton and Harry.
(b) Milton and Peyton.
(c) Milton and Dolly.
(d) Helen and Milton.
14. Who is the boyfriend Peyton brings home from college?
(a) James Hall.
(b) Roger McMiller.
(c) Clarence Harless.
(d) Dick Cartwright.
15. Why has the hearse stopped on the way to the cemetery?
(a) It is out of gas.
(b) It is at a red light.
(c) It is waiting for a train.
(d) It has broken down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Dolly give Helen for Milton's interest in Dolly?
2. Why does Helen take Maudie on the trip in #118?
3. To whom is Milton writing a letter while Helen and Maudie are out of town?
4. What are Milton's feelings about his marriage to Helen?
5. Helen views Peyton and Milton as _____________________.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)