|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Milton run into in Charlottesville?
(d) An old fraternity buddy.
2. Why does Peyton tell Harry that she married him?
(a) She needed him.
(b) She wanted his money.
(c) She respected him.
(d) She thought he was handsome.
3. How does Peyton injure Helen before leaving on her honeymoon?
(a) Throws a glass at her.
(b) Slaps her face.
(c) Pushes her down the stairs.
(d) Scratches her face and draws blood.
4. Carey recalls that after Maudie's death, Helen and Milton ____________________.
(a) Were preparing to divorce.
(b) Were distraught in their grief.
(c) Were inseparable.
(d) Were reconciled.
5. What does Helen tell Milton and Peyton when they return to the hospital?
(a) Maudie is dead.
(b) Maudie is dying.
(c) Maudie has to stay for awhile.
(d) Maudie is being released.
6. What is the literary technique used when portraying Helen as restrained on the day of her daughter's funeral when the person in #100 has an emotional outburst?
7. What is the name of Helen's brother who was at the Loftis home at the time?
8. Where does Milton go with the person in #126?
(a) Basketball game.
(b) Bar hopping.
(c) Country club.
(d) Fraternity house party.
9. Who does Helen hold solely responsible for Maudie's death?
(b) La Ruth.
10. From whom does Milton get a telegram while Helen is out of town?
11. Helen tells Carey that she no longer believes in ________________.
(b) "His" God.
12. In what city is Peyton married?
(c) Port Warwick.
13. Why does Carey Carr take Helen to the location in #85?
(a) Her car is not running.
(b) She refuses to go with Milton.
(c) She is too grief stricken to drive.
(d) She is afraid to go alone.
14. What does Helen admit to Carey on the day they meet?
(a) She wants to commit suicide.
(b) She is in love with him.
(c) She hates her daughter, Peyton.
(d) She has had an abortion.
15. Who is the boyfriend Peyton brings home from college?
(a) Dick Cartwright.
(b) James Hall.
(c) Roger McMiller.
(d) Clarence Harless.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where had Peyton been for three months in Milton's flashback?
2. What are Milton's feelings about his marriage to Helen?
3. Against whom are the Southerners in the story prejudiced?
4. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
5. How old is Carey Carr?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)