|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen admit to Carey on the day they meet?
(a) She hates her daughter, Peyton.
(b) She is in love with him.
(c) She wants to commit suicide.
(d) She has had an abortion.
2. What does Helen reveal to Carey at Peyton's wedding?
(a) Her doubts about Peyton's marriage.
(b) Her pride in Peyton.
(c) Her hatred of Peyton.
(d) Her mistrust of Harry.
3. Who does Helen hold solely responsible for Maudie's death?
(a) La Ruth.
4. What does Carey try to talk to Milton about in the roadhouse?
(a) Leading the youth group.
(b) Heading up a fundraiser.
(c) Coming back to church.
(d) Reconciling with Helen.
5. Why does the person in #100 have an emotional outburst?
(a) She is not allowed to drive the car.
(b) She wants more attention from her mother.
(c) Peyton is being buried today.
(d) She has broken up with her boyfriend.
6. To whom is Milton writing a letter while Helen and Maudie are out of town?
7. Why does Carey Carr take Helen to the location in #85?
(a) She is afraid to go alone.
(b) Her car is not running.
(c) She is too grief stricken to drive.
(d) She refuses to go with Milton.
8. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
(a) A convenience store.
(b) A bar.
(c) A gas station.
(d) A roadside rest.
9. Why is Helen angry at Milton and Peyton when they arrive at the hospital?
(a) They are both drunk.
(b) They are too noisy.
(c) They didn't bring Helen's overnight bag.
(d) They didn't bring a gift for Maudie.
10. What is Dolly's first stop when she returns from a business trip?
(a) The dry cleaners.
(b) The country club.
(c) The grocery.
(d) Milton's house.
11. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Peyton and Harry.
(b) Milton and Dolly.
(c) Helen and Milton.
(d) Milton and Peyton.
12. What does Carey decide to do to help Helen?
(a) Recommends couples counseling.
(b) Suggests psychiatric help.
(c) There is nothing he can do.
(d) Finds her a job.
13. Why has the hearse stopped on the way to the cemetery?
(a) It is out of gas.
(b) It has broken down.
(c) It is waiting for a train.
(d) It is at a red light.
14. Where does Milton go with the person in #126?
(a) Bar hopping.
(b) Country club.
(c) Basketball game.
(d) Fraternity house party.
15. How long had Helen waited for Milton to return to the hospital?
(a) A couple of hours.
(b) Just about an hour.
(c) Two days.
(d) All day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peyton leave the family celebration early?
2. Where is Dolly's ex-husband living at this time?
3. Where does Carey Carr take Helen at the beginning of Chapter 4?
4. Where do Milton and Dolly spend the night when Helen is out of town?
5. Where will Helen's brother be going after his visit with her family?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)