|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Helen and Edward go to college?
(a) Emory University.
(b) Duke University.
(c) University of Virginia.
(d) Mercer College.
2. What did Milton watch during Peyton's wedding?
(a) Peyton's face.
(b) The candles.
(c) Peyton's derriere.
(d) The minister.
3. Where will Helen's brother be going after his visit with her family?
4. How does Peyton injure Helen before leaving on her honeymoon?
(a) Scratches her face and draws blood.
(b) Throws a glass at her.
(c) Pushes her down the stairs.
(d) Slaps her face.
5. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
(a) A roadside rest.
(b) A convenience store.
(c) A gas station.
(d) A bar.
6. What does Milton do while Peyton and Helen argue?
(a) Tries to separate them.
(b) Goes out for more liquor.
(c) Watches TV.
(d) Calls Dolly.
7. Against whom are the Southerners in the story prejudiced?
(d) Factory workers.
8. How long had Helen waited for Milton to return to the hospital?
(a) A couple of hours.
(b) Just about an hour.
(c) Two days.
(d) All day.
9. Where is Dolly's ex-husband living at this time?
10. What is Helen's demeanor as they leave the house for the funeral?
11. Dolly tells Helen that she will carry on with Milton ________________________.
(a) For as long as Milton is interested.
(c) Until she is finished with him.
(d) No longer.
12. Why does Peyton leave the family celebration early?
(a) The weather was getting bad.
(b) She and her mother had a fight.
(c) She had to get back for work.
(d) She had to study for exams.
13. Where does Peyton find Milton at the end of the football game?
(a) In a ditch.
(b) At a bar.
(c) In his car.
(d) At a hotel.
14. What does Harry caution Peyton about on their wedding day?
(a) Being late to her own wedding.
(b) Talking too much.
(c) Staying too late.
(d) Drinking too much.
15. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Milton and Dolly.
(b) Helen and Milton.
(c) Milton and Peyton.
(d) Peyton and Harry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dolly's first stop when she returns from a business trip?
2. Carey recalls that after Maudie's death, Helen and Milton ____________________.
3. What are Milton's feelings about his marriage to Helen?
4. What does the person in #100 want Helen to do about Milton?
5. Why does Carey Carr take Helen to the location in #85?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)