|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Milton's feelings about his marriage to Helen?
(a) He wants a divorce.
(b) He wants her to take him back.
(c) He loves her but he can't be married to her.
(d) He wants to remain separated.
2. What is the name of the tearoom where Helen meets Dolly Bonner?
(a) Russian Tearoom.
(c) The Tea Cozy.
(d) Wonderland Tearoom.
3. What is Helen's demeanor as they leave the house for the funeral?
4. Helen does not seek out Carey for spiritual solace but ______________________.
(a) To validate her hatred.
(b) To get financial advice.
(c) To organize bake sales.
(d) To gossip about other church members.
5. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Milton and Peyton.
(b) Milton and Dolly.
(c) Helen and Milton.
(d) Peyton and Harry.
6. What reason does Dolly give Helen for Milton's interest in Dolly?
(a) She is more generous than Helen.
(b) She is more loving than Helen.
(c) She is prettier than Helen.
(d) She is smarter than Helen.
7. What does Helen tell Milton and Peyton when they return to the hospital?
(a) Maudie has to stay for awhile.
(b) Maudie is dying.
(c) Maudie is dead.
(d) Maudie is being released.
8. Why does Carey Carr take Helen to the location in #85?
(a) She is afraid to go alone.
(b) She is too grief stricken to drive.
(c) She refuses to go with Milton.
(d) Her car is not running.
9. What is Carey Carr's profession?
10. What does Milton do while Peyton and Helen argue?
(a) Tries to separate them.
(b) Watches TV.
(c) Goes out for more liquor.
(d) Calls Dolly.
11. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
(a) A bar.
(b) A roadside rest.
(c) A gas station.
(d) A convenience store.
12. Where do Peyton and Harry go on their honeymoon?
13. Where does Carey Carr take Helen at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(b) The funeral home.
(c) Ladies luncheon.
(d) School Board meeting.
14. Where will Helen's brother be going after his visit with her family?
15. What is the literary technique used when portraying Helen as restrained on the day of her daughter's funeral when the person in #100 has an emotional outburst?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dolly's first stop when she returns from a business trip?
2. How long have Carey and Helen been friends?
3. Why does Dolly call the Loftis house prior to the celebration in #110?
4. Carey recalls that after Maudie's death, Helen and Milton ____________________.
5. Why has the hearse stopped on the way to the cemetery?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)