|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Milton and Dolly spend the night when Helen is out of town?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In Dolly's home.
(c) In a bed and breakfast.
(d) In Helen's bed.
2. Why is Helen angry at Milton and Peyton when they arrive at the hospital?
(a) They are too noisy.
(b) They didn't bring Helen's overnight bag.
(c) They are both drunk.
(d) They didn't bring a gift for Maudie.
3. Why does Carey Carr take Helen to the location in #85?
(a) Her car is not running.
(b) She is afraid to go alone.
(c) She refuses to go with Milton.
(d) She is too grief stricken to drive.
4. What does Harry caution Peyton about on their wedding day?
(a) Drinking too much.
(b) Staying too late.
(c) Talking too much.
(d) Being late to her own wedding.
5. What does Milton do while Peyton and Helen argue?
(a) Tries to separate them.
(b) Calls Dolly.
(c) Goes out for more liquor.
(d) Watches TV.
6. What is the name of Helen's brother who was at the Loftis home at the time?
7. Why does Peyton tell Harry that she married him?
(a) She respected him.
(b) She wanted his money.
(c) She thought he was handsome.
(d) She needed him.
8. Carey recalls that after Maudie's death, Helen and Milton ____________________.
(a) Were preparing to divorce.
(b) Were distraught in their grief.
(c) Were inseparable.
(d) Were reconciled.
9. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Milton and Dolly.
(b) Milton and Peyton.
(c) Peyton and Harry.
(d) Helen and Milton.
10. Helen tells Carey that she no longer believes in ________________.
(b) "His" God.
11. Where does Carey Carr take Helen at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(b) The funeral home.
(c) School Board meeting.
(d) Ladies luncheon.
12. Who does Helen hold solely responsible for Maudie's death?
(c) La Ruth.
13. Where does Dolly admit to Helen that she had been intimate with Milton?
(a) At a football game.
(b) After church.
(c) At Peyton's birthday party at the club.
(d) After a School Board meeting.
14. Where does Milton go with the person in #126?
(a) Basketball game.
(b) Fraternity house party.
(c) Country club.
(d) Bar hopping.
15. Where had Peyton been for three months in Milton's flashback?
(a) Visiting relatives.
(c) At camp.
(d) In a psychiatric facility.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the literary technique used when portraying Helen as restrained on the day of her daughter's funeral when the person in #100 has an emotional outburst?
2. From whom does Milton get a telegram while Helen is out of town?
3. What does Helen tell Milton and Peyton when they return to the hospital?
4. What is Dolly's first stop when she returns from a business trip?
5. Why does Peyton leave the family celebration early?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)