|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dolly call the Loftis house prior to the celebration in #110?
(a) To tell Milton that she has not seen him in quite awhile.
(b) To invite Milton and Helen for cocktails.
(c) To tell Milton that she has a Christmas gift for him.
(d) To tell Helen about a library fundraiser.
2. What reason does Dolly give Helen for Milton's interest in Dolly?
(a) She is more loving than Helen.
(b) She is more generous than Helen.
(c) She is prettier than Helen.
(d) She is smarter than Helen.
3. What is Carey's impression when he sees Helen ready to leave for the funeral?
(a) She is old and ugly.
(b) She looks younger than ever.
(c) She is incredibly sad.
(d) She is so pale and gaunt.
4. What does Helen tell Milton and Peyton when they return to the hospital?
(a) Maudie is dead.
(b) Maudie is being released.
(c) Maudie is dying.
(d) Maudie has to stay for awhile.
5. How long have Carey and Helen been friends?
(a) Three months.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six years.
6. What flashback does Milton have while stopped at the gas station?
(a) Thanksgiving 1942.
(b) Fourth of July 1945.
(c) Christmas 1960.
(d) Christmas 1941.
7. Why is Helen angry at Milton and Peyton when they arrive at the hospital?
(a) They didn't bring a gift for Maudie.
(b) They are too noisy.
(c) They are both drunk.
(d) They didn't bring Helen's overnight bag.
8. What are Milton's feelings about his marriage to Helen?
(a) He wants to remain separated.
(b) He loves her but he can't be married to her.
(c) He wants a divorce.
(d) He wants her to take him back.
9. What is Helen's demeanor as they leave the house for the funeral?
10. Helen does not seek out Carey for spiritual solace but ______________________.
(a) To get financial advice.
(b) To validate her hatred.
(c) To gossip about other church members.
(d) To organize bake sales.
11. What is the literary technique used when portraying Helen as restrained on the day of her daughter's funeral when the person in #100 has an emotional outburst?
12. Where do Milton and Dolly spend the night when Helen is out of town?
(a) In a hotel.
(b) In a bed and breakfast.
(c) In Helen's bed.
(d) In Dolly's home.
13. What does Harry caution Peyton about on their wedding day?
(a) Drinking too much.
(b) Talking too much.
(c) Being late to her own wedding.
(d) Staying too late.
14. How long had Helen waited for Milton to return to the hospital?
(a) Just about an hour.
(b) All day.
(c) A couple of hours.
(d) Two days.
15. Who is the boyfriend Peyton brings home from college?
(a) James Hall.
(b) Clarence Harless.
(c) Roger McMiller.
(d) Dick Cartwright.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helen and Edward go to college?
2. What does Milton do while Peyton and Helen argue?
3. Where will Helen's brother be going after his visit with her family?
4. Why does the funeral party stop at a gas station?
5. What is Dolly's first stop when she returns from a business trip?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)