|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dolly's first stop when she returns from a business trip?
(a) The grocery.
(b) Milton's house.
(c) The country club.
(d) The dry cleaners.
2. Where does Helen take Maudie in November of 1942?
(a) A special school.
(c) New York.
(d) A doctor.
3. How old is Carey Carr?
4. Why does the funeral party stop at a gas station?
(a) The hearse is out of gas.
(b) Milton needs something to drink.
(c) The hearse overheats again.
(d) Dolly needs to use a restroom.
5. What is the literary technique used when portraying Helen as restrained on the day of her daughter's funeral when the person in #100 has an emotional outburst?
6. What is Carey's impression when he sees Helen ready to leave for the funeral?
(a) She is so pale and gaunt.
(b) She looks younger than ever.
(c) She is incredibly sad.
(d) She is old and ugly.
7. What does the person in #100 want Helen to do about Milton?
(a) Take him back.
(b) Kill him.
(c) Divorce him.
(d) Separate for a little while.
8. What are Milton's feelings about his marriage to Helen?
(a) He wants to remain separated.
(b) He loves her but he can't be married to her.
(c) He wants a divorce.
(d) He wants her to take him back.
9. What is Helen doing when Carey arrives at her house?
(a) Taking a shower.
(c) Putting on her makeup.
(d) Making coffee.
10. Why does Helen take Maudie on the trip in #118?
(a) They are going to the beach.
(b) She has been having leg pain.
(c) They are going on a shopping trip.
(d) They are going sightseeing.
11. Where do Milton and Dolly spend the night when Helen is out of town?
(a) In a bed and breakfast.
(b) In Dolly's home.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In Helen's bed.
12. How does Peyton injure Helen before leaving on her honeymoon?
(a) Slaps her face.
(b) Pushes her down the stairs.
(c) Scratches her face and draws blood.
(d) Throws a glass at her.
13. Against whom are the Southerners in the story prejudiced?
(b) Factory workers.
14. What reason does Dolly give Helen for Milton's interest in Dolly?
(a) She is more generous than Helen.
(b) She is smarter than Helen.
(c) She is more loving than Helen.
(d) She is prettier than Helen.
15. Who has an emotional outburst in Helen's bedroom?
(b) La Ruth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carey decide to do to help Helen?
2. Where do Peyton and Harry go on their honeymoon?
3. Who is Peyton's husband?
4. Where is Dolly's ex-husband living at this time?
5. Who does Milton run into in Charlottesville?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)