|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has the hearse stopped on the way to the cemetery?
(a) It is at a red light.
(b) It has broken down.
(c) It is waiting for a train.
(d) It is out of gas.
2. Helen does not seek out Carey for spiritual solace but ______________________.
(a) To organize bake sales.
(b) To get financial advice.
(c) To validate her hatred.
(d) To gossip about other church members.
3. How does Peyton injure Helen before leaving on her honeymoon?
(a) Pushes her down the stairs.
(b) Throws a glass at her.
(c) Scratches her face and draws blood.
(d) Slaps her face.
4. Helen tells Carey that she no longer believes in ________________.
(d) "His" God.
5. To whom is Milton writing a letter while Helen and Maudie are out of town?
6. What does Helen admit to Carey on the day they meet?
(a) She has had an abortion.
(b) She is in love with him.
(c) She hates her daughter, Peyton.
(d) She wants to commit suicide.
7. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Peyton and Harry.
(b) Milton and Peyton.
(c) Milton and Dolly.
(d) Helen and Milton.
8. Where do Milton and Dolly spend the night when Helen is out of town?
(a) In Dolly's home.
(b) In a bed and breakfast.
(c) In Helen's bed.
(d) In a hotel.
9. Where does Carey Carr take Helen at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) School Board meeting.
(c) The funeral home.
(d) Ladies luncheon.
10. What did Milton watch during Peyton's wedding?
(a) Peyton's face.
(b) The candles.
(c) Peyton's derriere.
(d) The minister.
11. Why does Helen take Maudie on the trip in #118?
(a) They are going sightseeing.
(b) They are going to the beach.
(c) They are going on a shopping trip.
(d) She has been having leg pain.
12. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
(a) A roadside rest.
(b) A gas station.
(c) A convenience store.
(d) A bar.
13. Where does Milton go with the person in #126?
(a) Fraternity house party.
(b) Country club.
(c) Basketball game.
(d) Bar hopping.
14. Dolly tells Helen that she will carry on with Milton ________________________.
(a) Until she is finished with him.
(c) For as long as Milton is interested.
(d) No longer.
15. Why does Carey Carr take Helen to the location in #85?
(a) She refuses to go with Milton.
(b) She is afraid to go alone.
(c) She is too grief stricken to drive.
(d) Her car is not running.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Helen reveal to Carey at Peyton's wedding?
2. What is Dolly's first stop when she returns from a business trip?
3. In what city is Peyton married?
4. What is the topic of the meeting between Helen and Dolly?
5. Who is the boyfriend Peyton brings home from college?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)