|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
(a) A roadside rest.
(b) A bar.
(c) A convenience store.
(d) A gas station.
2. What is notable about Peyton on her wedding day?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is stunning.
(c) She is drunk.
(d) She is doubtful.
3. What is Carey's first impression of Helen?
(a) She is intense.
(b) She is morose.
(c) She is grieving.
(d) She is a joy.
4. What does the person in #100 want Helen to do about Milton?
(a) Divorce him.
(b) Take him back.
(c) Separate for a little while.
(d) Kill him.
5. What is Milton's condition at the end of the football game?
6. What is Dolly's first stop when she returns from a business trip?
(a) The dry cleaners.
(b) The country club.
(c) The grocery.
(d) Milton's house.
7. Where does Peyton find Milton at the end of the football game?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) In a ditch.
(c) In his car.
(d) At a bar.
8. What does Helen admit to Carey on the day they meet?
(a) She wants to commit suicide.
(b) She hates her daughter, Peyton.
(c) She is in love with him.
(d) She has had an abortion.
9. What does Milton do while Peyton and Helen argue?
(a) Tries to separate them.
(b) Calls Dolly.
(c) Watches TV.
(d) Goes out for more liquor.
10. How long had Helen waited for Milton to return to the hospital?
(a) All day.
(b) A couple of hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) Just about an hour.
11. What is the message of the telegram Milton receives?
(a) Come to Charlottesville right away.
(b) Tuition due right away.
(c) Maddie had baby girl.
(d) Send money right away.
12. What is the literary technique used when portraying Helen as restrained on the day of her daughter's funeral when the person in #100 has an emotional outburst?
13. What does Helen tell Carey about Milton?
(a) He has lost another job.
(b) He is terminally ill.
(c) She hates him.
(d) He is having an affair.
14. Against whom are the Southerners in the story prejudiced?
(c) Factory workers.
15. What is Helen's demeanor as they leave the house for the funeral?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the funeral party stop at a gas station?
2. Where is Dolly's ex-husband living at this time?
3. Where do Peyton and Harry go on their honeymoon?
4. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
5. What is the name of the tearoom where Helen meets Dolly Bonner?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)