|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Peyton's husband's religious affiliation?
2. What does Milton do while Peyton and Helen argue?
(a) Goes out for more liquor.
(b) Tries to separate them.
(c) Calls Dolly.
(d) Watches TV.
3. What is Carey's first impression of Helen?
(a) She is morose.
(b) She is a joy.
(c) She is grieving.
(d) She is intense.
4. Why does Peyton leave the family celebration early?
(a) She had to study for exams.
(b) She and her mother had a fight.
(c) She had to get back for work.
(d) The weather was getting bad.
5. Where does Peyton find Milton at the end of the football game?
(a) At a bar.
(b) In his car.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) In a ditch.
6. Where will Helen's brother be going after his visit with her family?
7. What is the primary relationship in LIE DOWN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Peyton and Harry.
(b) Milton and Dolly.
(c) Helen and Milton.
(d) Milton and Peyton.
8. How old is Carey Carr?
9. What flashback does Milton have while stopped at the gas station?
(a) Thanksgiving 1942.
(b) Fourth of July 1945.
(c) Christmas 1941.
(d) Christmas 1960.
10. How long have Carey and Helen been friends?
(a) Five years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Three months.
11. Against whom are the Southerners in the story prejudiced?
(b) Factory workers.
12. Dolly tells Helen that she will carry on with Milton ________________________.
(a) Until she is finished with him.
(b) For as long as Milton is interested.
(d) No longer.
13. What is Helen's demeanor as they leave the house for the funeral?
14. What are Milton's feelings about his marriage to Helen?
(a) He wants to remain separated.
(b) He wants a divorce.
(c) He loves her but he can't be married to her.
(d) He wants her to take him back.
15. To what city do Helen and Maudie travel in November of 1942?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Carey and Helen meet the hearse on the way to the cemetery?
2. Who is Carey Carr's wife?
3. Who has an emotional outburst in Helen's bedroom?
4. Why does Carey Carr take Helen to the location in #85?
5. Why does the funeral party stop at a gas station?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)