|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Helen recollect about Milton in this chapter?
(a) His pleas for reconciliation.
(b) His proposal of marriage.
(c) His becoming a father for the first time.
(d) His college days.
2. What is Maudie's condition that keeps her mother preoccupied with her?
(a) She has Multiple Sclerosis.
(b) She has epilepsy.
(c) She is developmentally delayed.
(d) She is a diabetic.
3. What does Milton recall about Dolly?
(a) How beautiful she used to be.
(b) Their college days.
(c) Why he once loved her.
(d) Her heart surgery.
4. What about Dolly now irritates Milton?
(a) Her voice.
(b) Her forgetfulness.
(c) Her clothes.
(d) Her submissiveness.
5. In what month does the body arrive at the train station?
6. The body is being transported from the train station to ___________________.
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The church.
(c) The crematorium.
(d) The funeral home.
7. Who was Milton's favorite child?
8. What does Helen recall in this chapter?
(a) Peyton's days as a youngster.
(b) Peyton's college days.
(c) Peyton's bad marriage.
(d) Peyton's wedding day.
9. Why did Milton feel such a sense of shame?
(a) Because he was fired.
(b) Because his marriage was a fiasco.
(c) Because he had multiple affairs.
(d) Because he had two failed businesses.
10. Whose face did Helen slap after Maudie was found bound and gagged?
(a) La Ruth's.
11. What was Dolly's ex-husband's nickname?
12. Why does Milton ask Dolly to accompany him to the train station?
(a) Helen wouldn't go.
(b) She had offered to drive.
(c) He can't manage his grief without her.
(d) She is good in a crisis.
13. Where is Peyton's birthday party held?
(a) The country club.
(b) The Loftis home.
(c) A banquet hall.
(d) A skating rink.
14. How does Helen react when the person in #48 apologizes?
(a) With stubbornness.
(b) With relief.
(c) With credulity.
(d) With tenderness.
15. What does Helen wish she could tell Mrs. LaFarge?
(a) To shut up.
(b) How handsome her husband is.
(c) About Peyton's boyfriends.
(d) About Milton's philandering.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Milton been having an affair with Dolly at this point?
2. Who had bound and gagged Maudie?
3. What did Milton always consider his father to be?
4. As the novel opens, the narrator describes a train trip from __________________ to Port Warwick.
5. With whom has Milton been having an affair for many years?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)