|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Milton's favorite child?
2. Where does Dolly find Milton?
(a) A phone booth.
(b) A newspaper stand.
(c) A diner.
(d) A bar.
3. What was Dolly's ex-husband's nickname?
4. Where is Peyton living after leaving college?
(d) New York City.
5. Why did Peyton go to the city mentioned in #70?
(a) To become a dancer.
(b) To study art.
(c) To get into advertising.
(d) To become an actor.
6. What does Milton recall about Dolly?
(a) Why he once loved her.
(b) Their college days.
(c) How beautiful she used to be.
(d) Her heart surgery.
7. Who is Mrs. La Farge's son?
8. Who had bound and gagged Maudie?
(a) Peyton and Boomer.
(b) Patricia and Buster.
(c) Pamela and Bulldog.
(d) Peyton and Buster.
9. Whose body arrives at the train station?
10. As the novel opens, the narrator describes a train trip from __________________ to Port Warwick.
11. What is the state of the Loftis' marriage?
(a) They are separated.
(b) They are very happy.
(c) They have been unhappy for a long time.
(d) They are divorced.
12. How did Milton perceive the advice his father gave him?
(a) He used what he could.
(b) He didn't pay much attention to it.
(c) He clung to every word.
(d) He discarded it.
13. What did Helen think of Dolly and her ex-husband?
(a) She hated them.
(b) She did not like them.
(c) She could take them or leave them.
(d) She thoroughly enjoyed them.
14. In what month does the body arrive at the train station?
15. Who is the protagonist of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Peyton always call Dolly?
2. What does Helen recall in this chapter?
3. Who is Dolly's son?
4. What does Helen wish she could tell Mrs. LaFarge?
5. What is Helen's most vivid recollection in this chapter?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)