|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following food items did Hector regularly eat raw, which sickened Charlie?
2. Where did Mary pour her energy after her mother was committed?
3. What type of expensive animal fur coat did Charlie buy, which alienated her from her neighbors in Texas?
4. Which of the following family members was the only family member to stay dry-eyed during the divorce news that rocked the Karr family?
5. How often did Pete discuss Charlie's whereabouts with his daughters after his wife was committed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Karr family's move to Colorado signals a real change in the relationship between Charlie and Pete. First, explain why the family decided to move to Colorado in the first place. Then, describe how this motivation signals a shift in the balance of power between Charlie and Pete. How do you see this relationship change carry out through the family's time in Colorado? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)