|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animals were Big Enough and Sure Enough?
2. What did Mary claim her first drink of wine tasted like?
3. What book was Mary reading on the terrible day when she stayed home from school and was sexually assaulted?
4. Who came to Mary's aide when she screamed for help from the neighbors while Charlie threatened to shoot Hector?
5. How did Pete react when Mary blurted out that she didn't want her mother to come home from the psychiatric ward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The title of this novel is based after a real club explained in the memoir. First, explain what The Liars' Club is and who could become a member. Then, explain how the club affected Mary's life and her relationship with her family. Finally, explain whether or not you believe "The Liars' Club" is a fitting title for this novel. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)