|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters held a gun to his head while drinking at Charlie's bar, threatening to kill himself while Mary looked on?
2. What small appliance did Mary try to plug into her father's outlet and was victim to his verbal outburst?
3. How did the operator of the payphone treat the Karr girls as they were trying to make a collect call?
4. With what did Charlie mix the first glass of wine she ever served to Mary?
5. Who was the first to spot Mary hiding in the tree with her BB gun?
Essay Topic 1
Charlie's family history is one looming in shadow, as she is a woman who has kept many dark secrets. Choose two of Charlie's dark secrets that she keeps hidden in her past and explain them. Then, describe how Mary learned her mother's dark secrets. What were her reactions to these secrets? Then, explain how Charlie's dark secrets affected Mary and the way she was able to bond, and trust, her own family members, both in childhood and adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the memoir, Mary explains that her mother has been taken away for being "Nervous." First, explain what the definition of "Nervous" is within the medical community of Mary's hometown. Then, choose one other person in the town that was diagnosed with "Nervousness" and compare / contrast that nervousness to Mary's mother's nervousness. What is the same about their conditions? What is different? Which case of nervousness seems to be more severe? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the memoir, Charlie has various different relationships with men. Choose two romantic relationships Charlie engaged in over the course of the memoir and compare / contrast the effects of these relationships on the lives of Charlie's children. Do you think Charlie was good at choosing men for herself? Why or why not? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,931 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)