|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of her mother's body did Mary dream about her father cleaving off after the family visited Charlie at the psychiatric ward?
2. What intentions did Charlie have during her frequent trips to Mexico with Hector?
3. Who was the first to spot Mary hiding in the tree with her BB gun?
4. What type of expensive animal fur coat did Charlie buy, which alienated her from her neighbors in Texas?
5. When Mary and Lecia were mistakenly put on the wrong plane, what destination did they almost end up in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the divorce, Mary and Lecia adopt very different coping mechanisms to deal with their emotional disappointment in their parents. First, describe Mary's emotional coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. Then, compare / contrast that to Lecia's coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. What is the same about their coping methods? What is different? How do these two coping methods come to a head on Father's Day? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary struggles to recognize the differences between fantasy and reality. First, briefly describe the fantasy world Mary created for herself in her childhood and compare / contrast that to what was really going on in Mary's reality. Then, choose one scene from the novel in which Mary specifically creates a fantasy to overshadow the reality of her life. Where did Mary learn this method of coping with a dark reality, and when did she typically choose to employ this method? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the memoir, Charlie has various different relationships with men. Choose two romantic relationships Charlie engaged in over the course of the memoir and compare / contrast the effects of these relationships on the lives of Charlie's children. Do you think Charlie was good at choosing men for herself? Why or why not? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)