Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of her mother's body did Mary dream about her father cleaving off after the family visited Charlie at the psychiatric ward?
2. How often did Mary check the mailbox waiting for a letter from Pete before Lecia finally lost the mailbox key?
3. What did neighborhood children throw at the Karr family's car as they left for vacation?
4. What was the name of the buxom bartender at the local bar where Pete took Mary during her school holidays?
5. Who accidentally ran over Pete's cat while he was recovering in the hospital?
Essay Topic 1
In her childhood, Mary has two very strong motherly figures in her life: her mother and her grandmother. First, describe Charlie's mothering style. Then, compare / contrast that to Grandmother Moore's mothering style. What is the same about their mothering styles? What is different? Finally, explain what Mary learned about herself and her family from her two mother figures. Which of these women do you think had a more profound effect on Mary in her childhood? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
Essay Topic 3
While visiting the beach after Grandma Moore's funeral, the Karr family falls victim to a terrible attack. First, create a timeline of events leading up to the attack on the beach. Then, explain who you think is most responsible for the attack, and why. Finally, explain how the attack on the beach affected the Karr family dynamics -- did it bring them closer together or tear them further apart? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)