|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following aspects of Cascade's landscape did NOT fascinate Mary and Lecia upon their arrival in the new city?
2. Who once owned the house the Karr family purchased in Antelope?
3. Which of the following objects was NOT present in Mary and Lecia's imagination of the ward where their mother was being kept?
4. Where did the Liar's Club regularly meet?
5. Which of the following characters held a gun to his head while drinking at Charlie's bar, threatening to kill himself while Mary looked on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout much of Mary's childhood, Charlie is deeply depressed. First, explain what traumatic event first sparked Charlie's deep depression. Then, give at least two examples from the text that you believe best exhibit the ways Charlie expressed her depression. Finally, explain how Charlie's depression affected the way Mary learned to deal with her emotions. How do the effects of Charlie's depression still affect Mary today?
Essay Topic 2
When Grandma Moore dies, the Karr family has very mixed reactions to the news. Choose two Karr family members that had profound reactions to the death and compare / contrast their reactions. What is the same about their reactions? What is different? How do these two reactions to Grandma Moore's death show the depth and complications in her character? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)