|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mary move to attend graduate school in her adulthood?
2. How often did Pete discuss Charlie's whereabouts with his daughters after his wife was committed?
3. After the threatened shooting of Hector by Charlie, who phoned Pete and demanded that he take the girls the next day?
4. What was the pistol Charlie kept in her purse studded with?
5. What did Charlie use to stop the swelling in Mary's eye after the schoolyard fight with the "Big" bully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the memoir, Charlie has various different relationships with men. Choose two romantic relationships Charlie engaged in over the course of the memoir and compare / contrast the effects of these relationships on the lives of Charlie's children. Do you think Charlie was good at choosing men for herself? Why or why not? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the memoir, Mary explains that her mother has been taken away for being "Nervous." First, explain what the definition of "Nervous" is within the medical community of Mary's hometown. Then, choose one other person in the town that was diagnosed with "Nervousness" and compare / contrast that nervousness to Mary's mother's nervousness. What is the same about their conditions? What is different? Which case of nervousness seems to be more severe? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,919 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)