|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What small appliance did Mary try to plug into her father's outlet and was victim to his verbal outburst?
2. From where did Mary and Lecia draw many of the images for their imagination of their mother's ward?
3. What color were the stamps that Mary collected from the grocery store along with her mother's shopping?
4. What did Hector and Charlie spend most of their time doing after their marriage?
5. Which of the following family members was the only family member to stay dry-eyed during the divorce news that rocked the Karr family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Books become an important method of escape for Mary during her violent and troubled childhood. One book in particular, Dracula, is especially important to her. First, describe how Mary was first introduced to the book, Dracula. Then, give examples of at least two scenes in the memoir in which Mary uses metaphors from the book to explain her psychology. Finally, explain whether or not you believe the book Dracula is a good metaphor for Mary's life and why. Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Charlie's family history is one looming in shadow, as she is a woman who has kept many dark secrets. Choose two of Charlie's dark secrets that she keeps hidden in her past and explain them. Then, describe how Mary learned her mother's dark secrets. What were her reactions to these secrets? Then, explain how Charlie's dark secrets affected Mary and the way she was able to bond, and trust, her own family members, both in childhood and adulthood.
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)