|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the school day, where did the students at Mary's school in Antelope sit, which always astounded her?
2. What did neighborhood children throw at the Karr family's car as they left for vacation?
3. Which of the following objects was NOT present in Mary and Lecia's imagination of the ward where their mother was being kept?
4. What was the pistol Charlie kept in her purse studded with?
5. Which of the following best describes the look Mary saw on Charlie's face when Charlie threatened to shoot Hector?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout much of Mary's childhood, Charlie is deeply depressed. First, explain what traumatic event first sparked Charlie's deep depression. Then, give at least two examples from the text that you believe best exhibit the ways Charlie expressed her depression. Finally, explain how Charlie's depression affected the way Mary learned to deal with her emotions. How do the effects of Charlie's depression still affect Mary today?
Essay Topic 3
In her childhood, Mary has two very strong motherly figures in her life: her mother and her grandmother. First, describe Charlie's mothering style. Then, compare / contrast that to Grandmother Moore's mothering style. What is the same about their mothering styles? What is different? Finally, explain what Mary learned about herself and her family from her two mother figures. Which of these women do you think had a more profound effect on Mary in her childhood? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)