|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following aspects of Cascade's landscape did NOT fascinate Mary and Lecia upon their arrival in the new city?
2. What was the name of Pete's favorite cat?
3. In what topic of study did Mary receive her Master's Degree?
4. Which of the following characters held a gun to his head while drinking at Charlie's bar, threatening to kill himself while Mary looked on?
5. Which of the following adjectives did Hector use to describe Lecia on the night Charlie threatened to shoot him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the memoir, Charlie has various different relationships with men. Choose two romantic relationships Charlie engaged in over the course of the memoir and compare / contrast the effects of these relationships on the lives of Charlie's children. Do you think Charlie was good at choosing men for herself? Why or why not? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
As a child, Mary was sexually assaulted. First, describe the setting of Mary's sexual assault and describe Mary's reaction to the event. Then, compare / contrast Mary's childhood reaction to the assault with her adult reaction to the assault. What is the same about her reactions? What is different? Finally, explain which of Mary's reactions you think was the most beneficial in helping Mary cope with the events of the assault and explain why, citing examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
After the divorce, Mary and Lecia adopt very different coping mechanisms to deal with their emotional disappointment in their parents. First, describe Mary's emotional coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. Then, compare / contrast that to Lecia's coping method while dealing with abandonment issues from her father. What is the same about their coping methods? What is different? How do these two coping methods come to a head on Father's Day? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)