|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country did Charlie vacation for four weeks after announcing her divorce from Pete?
2. Which of the following family members was the only family member to stay dry-eyed during the divorce news that rocked the Karr family?
3. What was the name of the bar Charlie owned?
4. When Mary and Lecia were mistakenly put on the wrong plane, what destination did they almost end up in?
5. How long was Pete in town for the purchase of the new house before he had to fly back to Texas to work -- a move that scandalized the neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout her childhood, Mary struggles to recognize the differences between fantasy and reality. First, briefly describe the fantasy world Mary created for herself in her childhood and compare / contrast that to what was really going on in Mary's reality. Then, choose one scene from the novel in which Mary specifically creates a fantasy to overshadow the reality of her life. Where did Mary learn this method of coping with a dark reality, and when did she typically choose to employ this method? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Around Mary's tenth birthday, Pete and Charlie begin to struggle for power in their relationship, a conflict that comes out in various ways in the relationship. First, explain how Pete attempts to exert his power in the relationship and compare / contrast that to the way Charlie attempts to exert her power in the relationship. What is the same about their struggles for power? What is different? What is the effect of this power struggle on the maturity of the children in the house? Be sure to include at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)