Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Mr. McBride's wife?
2. Which of the following food items did Hector regularly eat raw, which sickened Charlie?
3. With what did Charlie mix the first glass of wine she ever served to Mary?
4. How did Mary describe the architecture of the new house her mother purchased with the inheritance money?
5. Which of the following aspects of Cascade's landscape did NOT fascinate Mary and Lecia upon their arrival in the new city?
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
Throughout her childhood, Mary came face-to-face with a lot of violence. First, choose one scene of violence from Mary's childhood and describe it. What brought this violence about? What was Mary's reaction to the violence? Then, compare / contrast that to another scene of violence in Mary's childhood. How do these two scenes show the growth of Mary's character and explain her relationship with violence as an answer to problems?
Charlie's family history is one looming in shadow, as she is a woman who has kept many dark secrets. Choose two of Charlie's dark secrets that she keeps hidden in her past and explain them. Then, describe how Mary learned her mother's dark secrets. What were her reactions to these secrets? Then, explain how Charlie's dark secrets affected Mary and the way she was able to bond, and trust, her own family members, both in childhood and adulthood.
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)