|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what did Charlie mix the first glass of wine she ever served to Mary?
2. Which of the following adjectives did Hector use to describe Lecia on the night Charlie threatened to shoot him?
3. What intentions did Charlie have during her frequent trips to Mexico with Hector?
4. What did Alecia use to bludgeon her husband with during a fight while Mary cowered in the bedroom?
5. What did Charlie find in Pete's wallet that sent her into an outburst of tears while she was driving home from visiting him at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Grandma Moore dies, the Karr family has very mixed reactions to the news. Choose two Karr family members that had profound reactions to the death and compare / contrast their reactions. What is the same about their reactions? What is different? How do these two reactions to Grandma Moore's death show the depth and complications in her character? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout her childhood, Mary is frequently asked to choose between her mother and her father. First, explain why the rift between Mary's parents requires Mary to take on such a role of responsibility, and explain Mary's reaction to this responsibility. Then, give at least two examples from the text of times when Mary was forced to choose between her parents. What was the context of this decision? Whom did Mary choose? In the end, did Mary believe she had made the right choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main issues Mary struggled with throughout her childhood was feeling competitive with her sister, Lecia. First, explain the relationship between Mary and Lecia in their early childhood. What elements of their personalities were pitted against each other for competition? Then, explain how the relationship between Mary and Lecia changed when their mother was committed. How did the competitive nature of the relationship between the two sister alter once their mother was no longer in the home? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)