Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of her mother's body did Mary dream about her father cleaving off after the family visited Charlie at the psychiatric ward?
2. How often did Mary check the mailbox waiting for a letter from Pete before Lecia finally lost the mailbox key?
3. What did neighborhood children throw at the Karr family's car as they left for vacation?
4. What was the name of the buxom bartender at the local bar where Pete took Mary during her school holidays?
5. Who accidentally ran over Pete's cat while he was recovering in the hospital?
Throughout her childhood, Mary struggles to recognize the differences between fantasy and reality. First, briefly describe the fantasy world Mary created for herself in her childhood and compare / contrast that to what was really going on in Mary's reality. Then, choose one scene from the novel in which Mary specifically creates a fantasy to overshadow the reality of her life. Where did Mary learn this method of coping with a dark reality, and when did she typically choose to employ this method? Be sure to include at least two examples of scenes from the memoir to strengthen your arguments.
Throughout much of Mary's childhood, Charlie is deeply depressed. First, explain what traumatic event first sparked Charlie's deep depression. Then, give at least two examples from the text that you believe best exhibit the ways Charlie expressed her depression. Finally, explain how Charlie's depression affected the way Mary learned to deal with her emotions. How do the effects of Charlie's depression still affect Mary today?
Throughout the memoir, Charlie has various different relationships with men. Choose two romantic relationships Charlie engaged in over the course of the memoir and compare / contrast the effects of these relationships on the lives of Charlie's children. Do you think Charlie was good at choosing men for herself? Why or why not? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)