|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mary move to attend graduate school in her adulthood?
2. What did the girls in Mary's classroom typically do during their recess from school?
3. Which of the following holidays did the Karr girls miss, oblivious to the day of its celebration?
4. What was the name of the buxom bartender at the local bar where Pete took Mary during her school holidays?
5. When Mary and Lecia were mistakenly put on the wrong plane, what destination did they almost end up in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Grandma Moore dies, the Karr family has very mixed reactions to the news. Choose two Karr family members that had profound reactions to the death and compare / contrast their reactions. What is the same about their reactions? What is different? How do these two reactions to Grandma Moore's death show the depth and complications in her character? Be sure to cite at least two examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout much of Mary's childhood, Charlie is deeply depressed. First, explain what traumatic event first sparked Charlie's deep depression. Then, give at least two examples from the text that you believe best exhibit the ways Charlie expressed her depression. Finally, explain how Charlie's depression affected the way Mary learned to deal with her emotions. How do the effects of Charlie's depression still affect Mary today?
Essay Topic 3
One of the strongest symbols in the memoir is the symbol of the flock of locusts. First, describe the scene in which Mary interacts with the flock of locusts. What was going on Mary's life at this time? How did Mary interact with the locusts when she saw them? Then, explain how the flock of locusts might be used a symbol for the emotional state Mary was in when she first saw the flock of locusts. Do you think this symbol was effective? Why or why not? Be sure to cite at least two scenes from the memoir to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)