|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prompted the fight between Charlie and Pete on Mary's tenth birthday?
(b) A car accident.
(c) A haircut.
2. What did Pete tell the girls was the most dangerous part of a man-of-war jellyfish?
(a) Its tentacles.
(b) Its heart.
(c) Its skin.
(d) Its teeth.
3. Who took a death photograph of Charlie, thinking she wouldn't make it through the night?
(a) Charlie's sister.
(b) Charlie's grandmother.
(c) Charlie's aunt.
(d) Charlie's mother.
4. How did Pete react to having his mother-in-law move in with the family?
(a) He ran around the house, doting on Grandma Moore.
(b) He welcomed Grandma Moore with open arms.
(c) He ignored Grandma completely.
(d) He stayed away from home.
5. Which lunch does Mary remember most loving as a child, remembering how the construction worker men ate the meal with reverence?
(a) Smoked salmon.
(d) Boiled shrimp.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Mary know that Lecia had been attacked by a jellyfish even though her sister was still in the water?
2. What was the name of the club where Mary was allowed to attend meetings with her father?
3. How much money did Mary believe the Moore family inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
4. What did Mary ask for for dinner on her tenth birthday?
5. What illness was Charlie diagnosed to die from at the age of two?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mary learn to cope with her mother's mental instability, particularly after Charlie's breakdown after inheriting a large sum of money from Grandma Moore?
2. What story did Pete regularly tell about the way his father died?
3. What startling event did Mary experience while driving in the car with her mother to Lubbock as a child?
4. How did Mary tie together the news of the jellyfish attack with the news of Grandma Moore's death?
5. What event led to Mary swearing that she would never step foot in Charlie's bar again?
6. What memory of her mother's childhood was the only one Mary kept with her while growing up?
7. What behaviors did Grandma Moore witness in the Karr girls as children that deeply disturbed her?
8. How did Mary and Lecia find out they had missed Father's Day?
9. What was the effect of the many years of hard drinking on Pete's body?
10. How did Lecia react when her mother threatened to shoot Hector in front of her?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)