|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the buxom bartender at the local bar where Pete took Mary during her school holidays?
2. During what major American historical event was the town of Antelope formed?
(a) The Gold Rush.
(b) The Dust Bowl.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Revolutionary War.
3. In what topic of study did Mary receive her Master's Degree?
(b) Mary did not receive her Master's Degree.
4. For whom did Lecia lie and say she made hand-painted fishing lures?
(c) Mr. McBride.
5. What color were the stamps that Mary collected from the grocery store along with her mother's shopping?
6. Which member of Mary's family encouraged her to begin defending herself on the playground?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her cousin.
7. Who did Mary plan to shoot with her BB gun when she sits in a tree outside the schoolyard?
(a) Rickey's mother.
(b) Rickey's brother.
(c) Rickey Carter.
(d) Rickey's father.
8. How did the operator of the payphone treat the Karr girls as they were trying to make a collect call?
(a) She ignored them.
(b) She was rude to them.
(c) She was kind to them.
(d) She was confused by them.
9. What did Charlie find in Pete's wallet that sent her into an outburst of tears while she was driving home from visiting him at the hospital?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A ticket stub.
(c) A receipt.
(d) A poem.
10. Which of the following characters held a gun to his head while drinking at Charlie's bar, threatening to kill himself while Mary looked on?
11. How many classrooms did Mary's school in Antelope have?
12. How did Pete react when Mary blurted out that she didn't want her mother to come home from the psychiatric ward?
(a) He was silent.
(b) He was understanding.
(c) He was confused.
(d) He was furious.
13. Who came to Mary's aide when she screamed for help from the neighbors while Charlie threatened to shoot Hector?
(a) Mr. Janisch.
(b) Mr. McBride.
(c) No one.
(d) Big Bertha.
14. What game were Pete and Mary playing at the local bar when she realized that her relationship with her father would never be the same?
15. Who once owned the house the Karr family purchased in Antelope?
(a) A banker.
(b) A warden.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A scientist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charlie purchase as an "investment" with Hector for their future together?
2. From where did Mary and Lecia draw many of the images for their imagination of their mother's ward?
3. How old was Hector's cousin Purdy when Mary and Lecia were sent to stay with her?
4. What book was Mary reading on the terrible day when she stayed home from school and was sexually assaulted?
5. When Mary and Lecia were mistakenly put on the wrong plane, what destination did they almost end up in?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)