|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the pistol Charlie kept in her purse studded with?
2. Where did Mary move to attend graduate school in her adulthood?
(a) To the Deep South.
(b) To the Midwest.
(c) To the East Coast.
(d) To the Western Plains.
3. In the winter after the move to Antelope, what was Charlie addicted to in addition to alcohol?
4. From what state was Lecia's husband when she met and married him?
5. What did Joey previously do for work before he left for medical reasons?
(a) He was a baker.
(b) He was a coal miner.
(c) He was a chimney sweep.
(d) He was a construction worker.
6. Who came to Mary's aide when she screamed for help from the neighbors while Charlie threatened to shoot Hector?
(a) Mr. Janisch.
(b) Mr. McBride.
(c) Big Bertha.
(d) No one.
7. How old was Hector's cousin Purdy when Mary and Lecia were sent to stay with her?
8. What did Rickey Carter's brother use to attack Lecia at the playground?
(a) A baseball bat.
(b) His bookbag.
(c) His fists.
(d) A track and field trophy.
9. What did Alecia use to bludgeon her husband with during a fight while Mary cowered in the bedroom?
(a) A vase.
(b) A frying pan.
(c) A golf club.
(d) A dictionary.
10. What was the name of the bar Charlie owned?
(a) The Cattleman.
(b) The Bucking Bronco.
(c) The Andalusian.
(d) The Longhorn.
11. What was the name of the bully who wanted to fight Mary after she felt Mary made her little sister look stupid in the classroom?
(a) Big Beth.
(b) Big Betty.
(c) Big Bertha.
(d) Big Brenda.
12. To whom / what did Mary compare her sexual attacker while he was in her bedroom?
(a) A ghost.
(b) The Devil.
13. Which of the following aspects of Cascade's landscape did NOT fascinate Mary and Lecia upon their arrival in the new city?
(a) Caves full of bats.
(b) Abandoned mines.
(c) Cold mountain streams.
(d) Fields of wildflowers.
14. How long was Pete in town for the purchase of the new house before he had to fly back to Texas to work -- a move that scandalized the neighborhood?
(a) One week.
(b) Four weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Two weeks.
15. What small appliance did Mary try to plug into her father's outlet and was victim to his verbal outburst?
(a) A computer printer.
(b) An alarm clock.
(c) A dehumidifier.
(d) A desk fan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Mary anxious to get to the hotel on their way to the World's Fair?
2. What did Mary purchase for Charlie with the stamps she collected from the grocery store?
3. What was the name of the buxom bartender at the local bar where Pete took Mary during her school holidays?
4. With what did Charlie mix the first glass of wine she ever served to Mary?
5. Which book was Mary reminded of when she looked out over the landscape of her new home in Antelope?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)