|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where did Mary and Lecia draw many of the images for their imagination of their mother's ward?
(a) From books.
(b) From brochures.
(c) From movies.
(d) From the television.
2. What part of Hector's life did Charlie find the most irritation with during their marriage?
(a) His temper.
(b) His alcoholism.
(c) His unemployment.
(d) His physical appearance.
3. Which of the following food items did Hector regularly eat raw, which sickened Charlie?
(a) Hamburger patties.
(b) Chicken breasts.
4. Which of the following holidays did the Karr girls miss, oblivious to the day of its celebration?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) Father's Day.
(c) Mother's Day.
(d) All Saints' Day.
5. What pills did Charlie become addicted to after she quit drinking?
6. To whom / what did Mary compare her sexual attacker while he was in her bedroom?
(c) The Devil.
(d) A ghost.
7. What did Charlie use to stop the swelling in Mary's eye after the schoolyard fight with the "Big" bully?
(a) Ice wrapped in a towel.
(b) Charlie ignored the injury completely.
(c) A bag of frozen peas.
(d) A raw steak.
8. Which of the following best describes the look Mary saw on Charlie's face when Charlie threatened to shoot Hector?
9. How did the operator of the payphone treat the Karr girls as they were trying to make a collect call?
(a) She was rude to them.
(b) She was confused by them.
(c) She ignored them.
(d) She was kind to them.
10. In what topic of study did Mary receive her Master's Degree?
(c) Mary did not receive her Master's Degree.
11. What instrument did Hector like to listen to Lecia play?
12. Which of the following characters held a gun to his head while drinking at Charlie's bar, threatening to kill himself while Mary looked on?
13. From what state was Lecia's husband when she met and married him?
14. In the winter after the move to Antelope, what was Charlie addicted to in addition to alcohol?
15. What did Rickey Carter's brother use to attack Lecia at the playground?
(a) A track and field trophy.
(b) His fists.
(c) His bookbag.
(d) A baseball bat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of books did Charlie read aloud to Mary before putting her in bed at night, books that Mary credited as awakening the darkness inside her?
2. How did Pete react when Mary blurted out that she didn't want her mother to come home from the psychiatric ward?
3. What was the philosophy of the school Mary attended in Antelope?
4. What did Mary claim her first drink of wine tasted like?
5. Which member of Mary's family encouraged her to begin defending herself on the playground?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)