|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mary pour her energy after her mother was committed?
(a) Into school.
(b) Into home chores.
(c) Into friendships.
(d) Into music.
2. What type of animals were Big Enough and Sure Enough?
3. When Mary arrived back home after running to the neighbor's for help, what were Hector and Lecia doing together?
(b) Watching television.
(c) Reading a book.
(d) Cooking dinner.
4. How many classrooms did Mary's school in Antelope have?
5. When the police came to investigate the beating of Hector, what was Charlie wearing when she came to the door?
(a) A bathrobe.
(b) A straight jacket.
(d) A kimono.
6. Along with Mary, who else believed that stepping on sidewalk cracks was terrible luck?
7. In what country did Charlie vacation for four weeks after announcing her divorce from Pete?
(d) South Africa.
8. How did Mary attack Rickey Carter?
(a) She spat on him.
(b) She hit him.
(c) She kicked him.
(d) She bit him.
9. During what major American historical event was the town of Antelope formed?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) The Gold Rush.
(c) The Revolutionary War.
(d) The Dust Bowl.
10. In what state was Antelope, the new town where Mary lived?
(b) New Mexico.
11. Which of the following aspects of Cascade's landscape did NOT fascinate Mary and Lecia upon their arrival in the new city?
(a) Cold mountain streams.
(b) Caves full of bats.
(c) Abandoned mines.
(d) Fields of wildflowers.
12. Which book was Mary reminded of when she looked out over the landscape of her new home in Antelope?
(a) Huckleberry Finn.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(d) The Swiss Family Robinson.
13. What did Mary claim her first drink of wine tasted like?
14. To whom / what did Mary compare her sexual attacker while he was in her bedroom?
(b) The Devil.
(c) A ghost.
15. What types of books did Charlie read aloud to Mary before putting her in bed at night, books that Mary credited as awakening the darkness inside her?
(a) Scientific theory books.
(b) True-life crime books.
(c) Hedonistic religion books.
(d) Existential philosophy books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Mary anxious to get to the hotel on their way to the World's Fair?
2. What was the name of Pete's favorite cat?
3. What did Mr. McBride do for the Karr family while he was employed?
4. After the threatened shooting of Hector by Charlie, who phoned Pete and demanded that he take the girls the next day?
5. What was the name of the bar Charlie owned?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)