|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the opening of the novel, in what room of the house was Mary lying when the doctor arrived?
(a) The bathroom.
(b) Her parents' bedroom.
(c) Her bedroom.
(d) The laundry room.
2. What physical reaction did Mary have when her grandmother was around that was her first feeling of "nervousness"?
(a) Her pulse quickened.
(b) Her stomach tightened.
(c) Her throat became dry.
(d) Her palms became sweaty.
3. In what room of the house did the Karr family eat their dinner until Grandma Moore came to stay with them?
(a) In the bedroom.
(b) In the dining room.
(c) In the living room.
(d) In the kitchen.
4. Who was Mr. Thibideaux?
(a) Mary's father.
(b) Mary's bus driver.
(c) Mary's neighbor.
(d) Mary's teacher.
5. How many times had Charlie been married before meeting Pete?
(a) Four times.
(b) Three times.
(c) Two times.
(d) One time.
6. How much money did Mary believe the Moore family inherited from Grandma Moore's estate?
7. What insect attacked Charlie's car as she was driving to her mother's home in West Texas?
(b) Fire ants.
8. What beverage did Grandma Moore drink to dull her cancerous pain?
9. Why did Charlie bring Mary to the hospital the day after Grandma Moore's surgery?
(a) Because Grandma requested to see the girl.
(b) Because she couldn't find a babysitter.
(c) To cheer Grandma up.
(d) So Mary can see the realities of life.
10. What was the name of the club where Mary was allowed to attend meetings with her father?
(a) The Golden Stallion Club.
(b) The Liars' Club.
(c) The Poker Club.
(d) The Money Gate Club.
11. What did Pete tell the girls was the most dangerous part of a man-of-war jellyfish?
(a) Its teeth.
(b) Its skin.
(c) Its tentacles.
(d) Its heart.
12. In whose arms did Mary's older sister pretend to sleep while the doctor was checking her out at the opening of the memoir?
(a) The gardener's arms.
(b) The neighbor's arms.
(c) The postman's arms.
(d) The sheriff's arms.
13. What color was the paint that Mary smeared over her face and mouth while her mother was out of the painting studio?
14. After hearing about Tex and Belinda, how long did Mary spend burying the memory of these children?
(a) Nineteen years.
(b) Twenty-one years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Forty-two years.
15. How old is Mary at the opening of the memoir?
Short Answer Questions
1. What distinct article of clothing was Charlie wearing in her death photograph?
2. What is the name of Mary's older sister?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Grandma Moore regularly complained about when she was living with the Karr family?
4. What condition was Mary's mother diagnosed with when Mary was a child?
5. To which caged animal did Mary compare her mother while visiting the Houston zoo?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)