|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what season of the year did Charlie have her full scale mental breakdown?
2. What color was the paint that Mary smeared over her face and mouth while her mother was out of the painting studio?
3. Which of the following states was most hard hit during the hurricane?
4. What beverage did Grandma Moore drink to dull her cancerous pain?
5. What was Pete doing at the time his wife and children finally returned home from West Texas?
(a) Cooking his breakfast.
(b) Ironing his shirts.
(c) Shaving his beard.
(d) Chopping wood.
6. What beverage did Charlie spend the day drinking at the Houston Zoo?
(a) Gin and tonic.
(b) Tart lemonade.
(c) Black coffee.
(d) Flasked whiskey.
7. During what month of the year were the construction projects in the Karr family home complete, allowing for Grandma Moore to finally move in?
8. After hearing about Tex and Belinda, how long did Mary spend burying the memory of these children?
(a) Nineteen years.
(b) Twenty-one years.
(c) Forty-two years.
(d) Thirty years.
9. How old is Mary at the opening of the memoir?
10. During what major event in American history was Charlie Moore born?
(a) The dust bowl.
(c) The Second World War.
(d) The emancipation.
11. To which meat product did Mary compare Grandma Moore's disfigured body?
(a) Overstuffed sausages.
(b) Burnt salmon.
(c) Crisp bacon.
(d) A pot roast.
12. What did Charlie spend her day doing while at the beach with her family soon after Grandma Moore's funeral?
(a) Sleeping in the car.
(b) Reading in the shade.
(c) Drinking at the bar.
13. Which institution did Pete visit each week to pay a portion of his bill, but was never able to pay off completely?
(a) The pharmacy.
(b) The doctor.
(c) The school.
(d) The grocery.
14. What was the only bill Pete managed to pay on time each month during the time his family was in the deepest financial strain?
15. What city did Charlie regularly think of while listening to the opera?
(a) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times had Charlie been married before meeting Pete?
2. What did Pete tell the girls was the most dangerous part of a man-of-war jellyfish?
3. What prompted the fight between Charlie and Pete on Mary's tenth birthday?
4. What war was Robert returning home from when he decided to commit suicide?
5. Which of the following animals did NOT flood into the street after the hurricane?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)