|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Mary the first time she was sexually assaulted by the neighbor boy?
(a) Seven years old.
(b) Nine years old.
(c) Five years old.
(d) Eleven years old.
2. Whom did Charlie call on the phone after threatening to harm her daughters?
(a) Her father.
(c) The priest.
(d) The doctors.
3. After hearing about Tex and Belinda, how long did Mary spend burying the memory of these children?
(a) Forty-two years.
(b) Nineteen years.
(c) Twenty-one years.
(d) Thirty years.
4. What act of service did Pete and the girls perform for Charlie when she returned to Leechfield after the funeral?
(a) They bathed her.
(b) They gave her a massage.
(c) They cooked her dinner.
(d) They read passages from The Bible aloud to her.
5. What was the effect of the jellyfish attack on Lecia's leg?
(a) Her leg had to be amputated.
(b) There was no effect from the attack.
(c) Her leg was covered in blisters.
(d) Her leg became paralyzed.
6. Who was Mr. Thibideaux?
(a) Mary's father.
(b) Mary's neighbor.
(c) Mary's bus driver.
(d) Mary's teacher.
7. What color was the paint that Mary smeared over her face and mouth while her mother was out of the painting studio?
8. Who jumped into the water and wrestled Lecia back to shore, despite the jellyfish wrapped around her leg?
(b) A bystander.
9. What method did Grandma Moore employ to ensure that Mary and Lecia exhibited "proper behavior"?
(a) She ignored the behavior.
(b) Reward charts.
(c) Verbal attacks.
(d) Daily beatings.
10. Which lunch does Mary remember most loving as a child, remembering how the construction worker men ate the meal with reverence?
(c) Boiled shrimp.
(d) Smoked salmon.
11. How old is Mary at the opening of the memoir?
12. At the opening of the novel, in what room of the house was Mary lying when the doctor arrived?
(a) Her parents' bedroom.
(b) Her bedroom.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The laundry room.
13. What prompted the fight between Charlie and Pete on Mary's tenth birthday?
(a) A haircut.
(d) A car accident.
14. What beverage did Charlie spend the day drinking at the Houston Zoo?
(a) Flasked whiskey.
(b) Tart lemonade.
(c) Gin and tonic.
(d) Black coffee.
15. What was the name of the restaurant where Pete punched Charlie in the face?
(a) Sun Cafe.
(b) Yacht Cafe.
(c) Bridge Cafe.
(d) Mountain Cafe.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month of the year were the construction projects in the Karr family home complete, allowing for Grandma Moore to finally move in?
2. Which of the following was NOT something Charlie burned in a bonfire during her mental breakdown?
3. With what type of weapon did Charlie threaten to harm her daughters?
4. Where did Mary's father work when she was a child?
5. What illness was Charlie diagnosed to die from at the age of two?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)