|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Seneca move to the country?
(a) To get out of the greedy city of Croton.
(b) To be closer to Lucilius.
(c) To be farther from the corruptness of Rome.
(d) For the health benefits of fresh air.
2. Who ran away in Letter CVII that made Lucilius grieve?
(a) His wife and kids.
(b) His dog.
(c) His oldest daughter.
(d) Some of his slaves.
3. Who says there are five causes?
4. According to Posidinus, who ruled in the past time?
5. What kind of events does Seneca say upsets people the most?
(a) Surprise events.
(b) Hysterical events.
(c) Planned events.
(d) Calm events.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stoic thought, what is the formless substance with "unlimited potential?"
2. According to Seneca, what is death?
3. Who is the author of all that happens in the world, according to Seneca?
4. According to Seneca, who has a misguided interest in philosophy?
5. Why does Seneca say he decided not to commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Zeno's logic that a drunk man is not a good man?
2. Why does Seneca say the Stoic account of causation is better than both Aristotle's and Plato's?
3. Why does Seneca object to Posidinus' claims that philosopher's ruled during the Golden Age and were responsible for many new technological innovations?
4. How, according to Letter LXXXIII, does Seneca spend his day?
5. Why does Seneca believe only a philosopher can appreciate wisdom?
6. Who was Scipio and why does Seneca praise him?
7. How does Seneca feel about moving to improve studies?
8. What lesson can be learned from the city that burned?
9. What does Seneca say about people who have an excessive concern with pain?
10. List and explain three types of people who, according to Seneca, find philosophy attractive for the wrong reasons.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)