|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the Iliad?
2. Who was Posidinius?
(a) A historian.
(b) A sailor.
(c) A sea god.
(d) God of an ancient river.
3. What is duty that Seneca states all men are bound to eventually carry out?
(a) Public service.
(b) Civic responsiblity.
4. According to Letter LXV, how do friends get Seneca to stop reading and writing while he is sick?
(a) By asking him to discuss a philosophical question.
(b) By entertaining him with a short play.
(c) By taking him to a hospital.
(d) By bringing in a card game.
5. What does Seneca say that many people find attractive for the wrong reasons?
(b) Outward appearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which line of studies does Seneca say tends to have a special temptation to vanity?
2. Where is Seneca when he writes Letter LXXXVI?
3. Why does Seneca say he decided not to commit suicide?
4. According to Letter XCI, what town was destroyed by fire?
5. Who especially does Seneca consider when he makes his move to the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fault does Seneca find in Zeno's logic that a good man will not drink to excess?
2. What is the value of a liberal arts education, according to Seneca?
3. How, according to Seneca, are life and philosophy both the gifts of the gods?
4. How does Seneca feel about moving to improve studies?
5. What is the Stoic concept of causation?
6. What is Seneca's criticism of the typical liberal arts scholar?
7. What advice does Seneca give Lucilius about coping with illness and the sometimes severe symptoms that accompany it?
8. Why does Seneca object to Posidinus' claims that philosopher's ruled during the Golden Age and were responsible for many new technological innovations?
9. What advice does Seneca give for staying safe?
10. Who was Scipio and why does Seneca praise him?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)