|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is caused by the flaunting of one's possessions?
2. How can a person be prepared for any tragedy that might happen?
(a) Don't serve wine at any event.
(b) Imagine all the situations, then you won't be surprised.
(c) Calm events = calm people.
(d) Plan every last detail so you have a firm schedule.
3. What phrase best sums up Letter XCI?
(a) Never look back.
(b) The early bird catches the worm.
(c) Expect the unexpected.
(d) If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
4. According to his criticism in Letter CVIII, what does Seneca say literary scholars should do with philosophical theories?
(a) Interpret them correctly.
(b) Apply them to their own lives.
(c) Compare them to other theories.
(d) Write fiction about them that will appeal to the masses.
5. In his example of suffering for the sake of knowledge, who does Seneca say was executed for blasphemy?
6. What does Scipio volunteer to do?
(a) Help teach Seneca.
(b) Go into exile.
(c) Kill Seneca.
(d) Care for the ailing Seneca.
7. According to Seneca, who can truly appreciate wisdom?
(a) Only the philosopher.
(b) Scholars who are well-read.
(c) Teachers of all sorts.
(d) Only priests and oracles.
8. What does Seneca called the past age?
(a) The Silver Age.
(b) The Golden Age.
(c) The Platonic Age.
(d) The Bronze Age.
9. According to Posidinus, who ruled in the past time?
10. What do the friends Seneca talks about in Letter LXV compare to concepts by Aristotle and Plato?
(a) Arelius' thoughts about life.
(b) The Stoic concept of causation.
(c) Seneca's thoughts about death.
(d) Zeno's concept of relationships.
11. In Letter LXXXIII, whose logic does Seneca question?
12. What is duty that Seneca states all men are bound to eventually carry out?
(c) Civic responsiblity.
(d) Public service.
13. What does Seneca admit that he cares less about as he ages?
(a) His hair.
(b) His friends.
(c) His appearance.
(d) His financial affairs.
14. According to Letter XCI, what town was destroyed by fire?
(c) Vatican City.
15. According to Stoic thought, what is the formless substance with "unlimited potential?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says there are four causes?
2. What does Seneca say prepares the mind for philosophy?
3. According to Letter LXXXVIII, how important is the knowledge of the liberal arts to Stoicism?
4. According to Seneca, what often brings the most unusual tragedies?
5. Who says there are five causes?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)