|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca say is the greatest of all arts?
2. What becomes of people who live a quiet, private life which incites neither anger nor envy?
(a) They are stoned.
(b) They are bored.
(c) They remain safe.
(d) They accomplish nothing.
3. According to Seneca, what should a person use to guide his life?
4. According to Letter LXXXVIII, how important is the knowledge of the liberal arts to Stoicism?
(a) More important than even religion.
(b) Not at all.
(c) Vital - can't understand Stoicism without a full liberal arts background.
(d) Very important.
5. What teaches men how to live well, according to Seneca?
(d) Study of liberal arts.
6. What does Seneca consider to be the gift of gods?
(a) Only life.
(b) Both life and philosophy.
(c) Only philosophy.
7. Who says there are five causes?
8. What do the friends Seneca talks about in Letter LXV compare to concepts by Aristotle and Plato?
(a) Arelius' thoughts about life.
(b) The Stoic concept of causation.
(c) Seneca's thoughts about death.
(d) Zeno's concept of relationships.
9. Who objects to Posidinus' claims about past rulers and technological inventions?
10. What creates certain habits of study and thought which are actually useful?
(a) Business studies.
(b) Fine arts.
(d) Liberal arts.
11. What is duty that Seneca states all men are bound to eventually carry out?
(a) Public service.
(c) Civic responsiblity.
12. According to Letter LXV, how do friends get Seneca to stop reading and writing while he is sick?
(a) By entertaining him with a short play.
(b) By taking him to a hospital.
(c) By bringing in a card game.
(d) By asking him to discuss a philosophical question.
13. Why does Seneca say he considered suicide once?
(a) He felt worthless.
(b) Out of consideration for his parents.
(c) He didn't feel loved or needed by society.
(d) To escape his illness.
14. According to Stoic thought, what is the formless substance with "unlimited potential?"
15. For Stoics, what are two basic elements found in any object?
(a) Weight and size.
(b) Matter and cause.
(c) Mass and reason.
(d) Sound and fury.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase best sums up Letter XCI?
2. According to Seneca in Letter LXXXVIII, what should man strive to become?
3. Why does Seneca say he decided not to commit suicide?
4. According to his criticism in Letter CVIII, what does Seneca say literary scholars do with philosophical theories?
5. Who does Seneca point out (in Letter CIV) had a wife and children who constantly nagged him?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)