|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Seneca, what destroyed man's harmonic relationship with nature?
(d) The Iliad.
2. What affects Seneca's exercise time according to Letter LXXXIII?
(a) His lack of time.
(b) His old age.
(c) His lack of interest.
(d) The amount of time he studies.
3. Where is Seneca when he writes Letter LXXXVI?
(a) On vacation.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) In bed at home recuperating.
(d) At Lucilius' house.
4. Who wrote the Aeneid?
5. Who does Posidinus credit for the invention for various technological innovations?
6. What does Seneca say the gods give man the capacity for?
(b) Scientific study.
7. According to Seneca, what should a person use to guide his life?
8. What does Seneca name as never too great for a man to endure, thanks to nature's way of minimizing them?
9. Who ran away in Letter CVII that made Lucilius grieve?
(a) His wife and kids.
(b) His dog.
(c) His oldest daughter.
(d) Some of his slaves.
10. Who is Scipio?
(a) His student.
(b) Another Roman philosopher.
(c) A renowned Roman general.
(d) Seneca's arch enemy.
11. How does Seneca spend most of his day?
(d) In study.
12. According to Seneca, what often brings the most unusual tragedies?
13. Why does Seneca praise suicide?
(a) To cut back on medical needs of the community.
(b) He is tired of being sick.
(c) It is active, not passive.
(d) He likes to challenge the legal system.
14. Who says there are five causes?
15. What is duty that Seneca states all men are bound to eventually carry out?
(b) Civic responsiblity.
(c) Public service.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which line of studies does Seneca say tends to have a special temptation to vanity?
2. Why does Seneca move to the country?
3. Who wrote the Iliad?
4. What tends to either not last very long or to at least have periods of subsidence?
5. What does Seneca admit that he cares less about as he ages?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)