|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca say cannot be learned only through reading?
2. According to Letter XLI, what lives in each man's soul?
(c) Divine power.
(d) Dark thoughts.
3. What is an oxymoron?
(a) Someone who does not practice virtue at all.
(b) A theory related to oxygen.
(c) Someone who does not understand Oxystoicism.
(d) A combination of contradictory words or phrases.
4. What topic does Seneca discuss in Letter XL?
5. Who says that excessive anger is a threat to one's sanity?
6. Which word is the best meaning of apatheia?
7. What does Seneca say many slave-owners foolishly think?
(a) That their slaves must love and respect them.
(b) That they will never have to work again.
(c) That it is to their credit that they are the slave-owners.
(d) That the slaves will care for their families once the owner dies.
8. Who does Seneca thank for sending him a book?
(c) His mother.
9. Whose estate does Seneca ride past in Letter LV?
10. In a large group of people, how might their vices seem, according to Seneca?
11. Why does Seneca say he took the ride in Letter LV?
(a) He had no choice.
(b) Because of his asthma.
(c) For a little splurge on luxury.
(d) It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
12. What kind of ailments does Seneca say become more obvious as they worsen?
(a) Breathing-related ones.
13. What ailment, according to Letter LIV, has become very serious for Seneca?
(c) A tumor in his throat.
(d) Irregular heart beat.
14. What does Seneca say about slaves?
(a) Not to pity them.
(b) Don't get too close to them emotionally.
(c) Use them for the hardest work.
(d) They are people too.
15. According to Seneca, if one begins taking lessons other than philosophy, what happens?
(a) He becomes a well-rounded man.
(b) His life will be governed by that subject rather than philosophy.
(c) He becomes known as a Renaissance Man.
(d) He diversifies his talents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to Seneca, is deliberate and prepared?
2. According to Letter XLI, where is the soul from?
3. Who is chastised in Letter III for not discussing his personal matters?
4. According to Seneca, what does an inordinate attachment to wealth or public opinion make a man?
5. Who finances the celebration that is held at the time Letter XVII is written?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)