|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people who attend the celebration discussed in Letter XVII do?
(a) Feast and get drunk.
(b) Discuss town issues.
(c) Watch acrobats and clowns.
(d) Praise Seneca.
2. How does Seneca say slaves should be corrected?
(a) With physical punishment.
(c) By taking something away, like food.
(d) Mental torture.
3. Which city does Seneca say is so filled with wicked people that it could be a threat to even a wise man's soul?
4. What specific things might a philosopher lack that could tarnish philosophy's reputation among outsiders?
(a) Wealth, fine clothing and hygiene.
(b) Wine, big home, health.
(c) Books, glasses, jewelry.
(d) A mansion, slaves, and orgies.
5. What are Seneca's comments about the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
(a) He likes the gift, but not its contents.
(b) He disagrees with the entire contents of the book.
(c) None - he wants to read it again.
(d) He wholeheartedly agrees with the entire contents of the book.
6. Seneca says though one may suffer more or less in life, the suffering is surrounded by what on either side?
(a) Deep tranquility.
(b) Unknown pain.
(d) Somewhat peaceful rest.
7. Which word is the best meaning of apatheia?
8. What is there little value in if one cannot share it with friends, according to Seneca?
(a) Gladiator battles.
9. What purpose does fasting serve, according to Seneca?
(a) To ward off gluttony.
(b) To be able to drink more.
(c) To shed some excess pounds.
(d) To prove a point to the public.
10. According to Seneca in Letter XXXIII, what does Stoic writing generally lack?
(b) Grammatical errors.
(c) Use of Latin.
(d) Quotable quotes.
11. Which of Lucilius' friends dies?
12. Which philosopher does Seneca quote in Letter II despite the fact that he does not particularly like him?
13. Who does Seneca praise in Letter XI?
(a) Lucilius himself.
(b) Lucilius' ancestors.
(c) Lucilius' friend.
(d) Lucilius' father.
14. What does Lucilius ask Seneca to include in his letters?
(a) A poem to read to his friend.
(b) Investment information.
(c) Stoic aphorisms.
(d) An autograph.
15. Why do people become slaves, according to Seneca?
(a) It is punishment for a crime.
(b) It is by their merit.
(c) It is by their fortune.
(d) It is their choice.
Short Answer Questions
1. While looking for witty entertainment, what does Seneca stumble upon?
2. What does Seneca say happens to life when one focuses too much on trivial and fleeting activities?
3. According to Seneca, what are people who are easily disturbed by noises lacking?
4. How does Seneca say a wise man should act toward the festival celebrated in Letter XVII?
5. What kind of ailments does Seneca say become more obvious as they worsen?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)