|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LIII, LIV, LV, LVI, and LXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Seneca say a wise man should act toward the festival celebrated in Letter XVII?
(a) Should avoid excess, but participate.
(b) Should avoid it all together, stay away.
(c) Should enjoy all to its fullest.
(d) Should abstain from drinking, but over eat.
2. Who advises that one ought to imagine being watched by some great, virtuous figure at all times in order to check one's own behavior?
3. According to Letter XLI, where is the soul from?
(a) Deep inside.
(d) Dark desires.
4. Who says that excessive anger is a threat to one's sanity?
5. What is an oxymoron?
(a) A combination of contradictory words or phrases.
(b) A theory related to oxygen.
(c) Someone who does not understand Oxystoicism.
(d) Someone who does not practice virtue at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of studies does Letter XII use as an example?
2. What kind of people does Seneca warn Lucilius to steer clear of in Letter XLVIII?
3. What, according to Seneca, generally presents more opportunity to be tempted away from virtuous living?
4. What does Seneca say happens to life when one focuses too much on trivial and fleeting activities?
5. What specific things might a philosopher lack that could tarnish philosophy's reputation among outsiders?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)