|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adelita describe her home in Book 3, Chapter 10: "Centavos"?
2. What sound is described as overtaking all sounds to the walker in Book 2, Chapter 8: "The Ringing Grooves of Change"?
3. What day of the week is it in Adelita's memory of awakening with Corrigan in Book 3, Chapter 10: "Centavos"?
4. What is Tillie's last name in the novel?
5. In what war did Gloria lose two brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the tightrope walker’s stunt perceived by the protagonist in Book 3, Chapter 9: “Part of the Parts”?
2. How would you describe the relationship between Tillie and Jazzlyn Henderson?
3. Whose case is presented first in Book 3, Chapter 9: “Part of the Parts”?
4. How is the protagonist’s meeting with Ciaran described in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”?
5. How is the protagonist’s family described in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”?
6. Whom does the protagonist meet on the airplane in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”? How is this character described?
7. How is the walker’s moment of silence described in Book 2, Chapter 8: “The Ringing Grooves of Change”?
8. Who is the protagonist of Book 3, Chapter 11: “All Hail and Hallelujah”? Where was this character first introduced?
9. How would you describe the narrative style of Book 2, Chapter 7: “This is the House That Horse Built”?
10. Who is the protagonist of Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”? How would you describe the narrative style of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the imagery and symbolism in Book 1, Chapter 4: “Let the Great World Spin Forever Down.” How is the meadow described? Why is this meadow so significant for the walker? What do you think the walker’s encounter with the coyote represents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Jazzlyn in the novel. How does Jazzlyn die? How does her death impact the main characters in the novel? How does Jazzlyn’s death connect to the tightrope walker’s performance?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Fernando Yunque Marcano in Let the Great World Spin. Whom do you think this character is based upon? Why do you think the author chooses to relate Fernando’s story? How does Fernando’s story relate to the other characters in the novel?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)