|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tillie when she first put on lipstick?
2. What is the name of Solomon Soderberg's wife?
3. How far is the walker from each tower when he stops to take in a moment of silence in Book 2, Chapter 8: "The Ringing Grooves of Change"?
4. What profession did Adelita come to America to pursue?
5. Where does Solomon go to eat lunch in Book 3, Chapter 9: "Part of the Parts"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the sights and sounds described during the walker’s World Trade Center stunt in Book 2, Chapter 8: “The Ringing Grooves of Change”?
2. What does Adelita savor in the end of Book 3, Chapter 10: “Centavos”?
3. Who is the protagonist of Book 3, Chapter 11: “All Hail and Hallelujah”? Where was this character first introduced?
4. How would you describe the narrative style of Book 3, Chapter 10: “Centavos”?
5. How would you describe the narrative style of Book 2, Chapter 7: “This is the House That Horse Built”?
6. How is the protagonist’s family described in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”?
7. How is the protagonist’s childhood described in Book 3, Chapter 11: “All Hail and Hallelujah”?
8. What impact has Corrigan’s death had on Adelita’s perceptions of their relationship in Book 3, Chapter 10: “Centavos”?
9. What is the protagonist’s destination in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”? Why is she going to this destination?
10. How is the walker’s moment of silence described in Book 2, Chapter 8: “The Ringing Grooves of Change”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Adelita’s story in Let the Great World Spin. How would you define Adelita’s central conflict in the narrative? Is this conflict resolved by the end of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the court cases that are presented in Book 3, Chapter 9: “Part of the Parts.” Who appears before the judge? What are they charged with? What is the outcome of these cases?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Fernando Yunque Marcano in Let the Great World Spin. Whom do you think this character is based upon? Why do you think the author chooses to relate Fernando’s story? How does Fernando’s story relate to the other characters in the novel?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)