|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the walker rent an apartment in New York in Book 2, Chapter 8: "The Ringing Grooves of Change"?
2. When the police helicopters begin to circle the walker in Book 2, Chapter 8: "The Ringing Grooves of Change," the narrator says that "Together both helicopters sounded like" what?
3. What does the tag on the man's bag in front of Jaslyn at the airport say in Book 4, Chapter 12: "Roaring Seaward, And I Go"?
4. How long after making love to Adelita for the first time does Corrigan die in the car accident?
5. How old is Tillie in Book 2, Chapter 7: "This is the House That Horse Built"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the narrative style of Book 3, Chapter 10: “Centavos”?
2. What does Adelita savor in the end of Book 3, Chapter 10: “Centavos”?
3. How would you describe the narrative style of Book 2, Chapter 7: “This is the House That Horse Built”?
4. What trick involving birth dates is described in Book 2, Chapter 8: “The Ringing Grooves of Change”?
5. How is the protagonist’s meeting with Ciaran described in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”?
6. How does the protagonist perceive the behaviors of the women at the meeting in Book 3, Chapter 11: “All Hail and Hallelujah”?
7. What is Tillie’s decision at the end of Book 2, Chapter 7: “This is the House That Horse Built”? What leads to this decision?
8. How are the losses of the protagonist described in Book 3, Chapter 11: “All Hail and Hallelujah”?
9. What internal conflict does Corrigan battle in Book 3, Chapter 10: “Centavos”?
10. How is the walker’s moment of silence described in Book 2, Chapter 8: “The Ringing Grooves of Change”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Adelita’s story in Let the Great World Spin. How would you define Adelita’s central conflict in the narrative? Is this conflict resolved by the end of the novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Sam Peters in the novel. How old is Sam? What is his nickname? Where does Sam live? Why do you think the author chooses to relate Sam’s story in Let the Great World Spin? How does Sam’s character connect with the other protagonists in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Fernando Yunque Marcano in Let the Great World Spin. Whom do you think this character is based upon? Why do you think the author chooses to relate Fernando’s story? How does Fernando’s story relate to the other characters in the novel?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)