|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Solomon Soderberg perceives New York as a city that is uninterested in what, according to the narrator in Book 3, Chapter 9: "Part of the Parts"?
2. Where did Gloria grow up?
3. Where did Solomon Soderberg attend law school?
4. How does the walker exit the tightrope in Book 2, Chapter 8: "The Ringing Grooves of Change"?
5. Where did Jaslyn attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the protagonist’s destination in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”? Why is she going to this destination?
2. What is Tillie’s decision at the end of Book 2, Chapter 7: “This is the House That Horse Built”? What leads to this decision?
3. Whom does the protagonist meet on the airplane in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”? How is this character described?
4. How are the losses of the protagonist described in Book 3, Chapter 11: “All Hail and Hallelujah”?
5. What is revealed of the tightrope walker’s fate in Book 3, Chapter 11: “All Hail and Hallelujah”?
6. What sights and sounds are described in the conclusion of Book 2, Chapter 8: “The Ringing Grooves of Change”?
7. What is significant about the cases presented in Book 3, Chapter 9: “Part of the Parts”?
8. How is the protagonist’s family described in Book 4, Chapter 12: “Roaring Seaward, And I Go”?
9. What impact has Corrigan’s death had on Adelita’s perceptions of their relationship in Book 3, Chapter 10: “Centavos”?
10. What trick involving birth dates is described in Book 2, Chapter 8: “The Ringing Grooves of Change”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Claire Soderberg in Let the Great World Spin. What is Claire doing when her character is introduced? What are Claire’s central conflicts in the narrative? How does the language in Claire’s chapter reflect upon her mental state?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the “art” of graffiti described in Let the Great World Spin. How has graffiti art evolved? Why has it evolved? How do you think graffiti connects to the themes in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Jazzlyn in the novel. How does Jazzlyn die? How does her death impact the main characters in the novel? How does Jazzlyn’s death connect to the tightrope walker’s performance?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)