|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the other farmers have to do what the Turners did to their crop?
2. Who accompanies Mrs. Lee Annie into the courthouse?
3. Why is Mr. Wheeler organizing a meeting?
4. Who takes an instant liking to Suzella?
5. Why does Russell call Mrs. Ellis, Mama and Cassie out of the courtroom while Mrs. Lee Annie takes her test?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when the Logan's discover Stacey is gone.
2. List several of the reasons Stacey wants to get a job, even if doing so is against the wishes of his family.
3. What happens when Mrs. Lee Annie goes to the courthouse to register to vote?
4. How does the ending of the story relate the title, "Will the Circle be Unbroken?"?
5. News is expected that may pertain to Stacey on the same day Mrs. Lee Annie is to register to vote. Explain what the Logans do.
6. In the final chapter, what does the Sheriff reveal about why he is letting Stacey and Moe go?
7. What information do the Logans get about Stacey?
8. Describe the events at the union meeting held at the Wheeler's.
9. Explain why Wordell's comments about Cassie's unkind treatment of Suzella matter so much to Cassie.
10. When Cassie was sick with scarlet fever, Wordell played his harmonica for her each day. Discuss the reasons why you think he did this.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Uncle Hammer's job is a bit of a mystery, yet a few things are revealed in the story about him. Based on the information provided in the story, have the students write an essay about Uncle Hammer and how he has helped the Logan family. Has he only helped them physically? Has he helped them monetarily? What kind of things has he given up for his family?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about Cassie's enlightenment after learning about Jacey Peters' pregnancy and how this helped to positively change her relationship with Suzella.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Moe Turner expresses his opinion that a good education is the way out of sharecropping. In an essay, explain how the process of sharecropping worked. Where did it go wrong? Who had the power to solve the problem? How could they have solved the problem?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)