|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Logans learn from the phone call in Mr. Jamison's office?
2. What does Little Man tell the others about Mr. Morrison while sitting on the river bank?
3. Who joins Papa when he returns from the railroad to search for Stacey?
4. After Cassie vents her anger about Suzella to Wordell, what does he say?
5. Who accuses Dube Cross of helping with the union?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cassie was sick with scarlet fever, Wordell played his harmonica for her each day. Discuss the reasons why you think he did this.
2. What are the demands of the farmers who arrived in front of the courthouse?
3. News is expected that may pertain to Stacey on the same day Mrs. Lee Annie is to register to vote. Explain what the Logans do.
4. What does Stacey tell Papa when he writes home to ask about this year's crop?
5. Why do the three young men humiliate Cousin Bud? Are their actions considered hypocritical?
6. List several of the reasons Stacey wants to get a job, even if doing so is against the wishes of his family.
7. Describe what Stacey says about his experience after leaving home to work in the cane fields.
8. Explain what happens when the Logans arrive in Stokesville.
9. Explain why Wordell's comments about Cassie's unkind treatment of Suzella matter so much to Cassie.
10. What information do the Logans get about Stacey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did you learn from the novel about pre-civil-rights history? Write an essay detailing how closely this novel portrayed what actually happened during that period in our history? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing TJ Avery's trial. What things might have made the difference in changing the verdict to "not guilty"? Was the judge who presided over the trial impartial? Compare the manner in which TJ's jury was chosen may have differed from the way in which juries are normally chosen. In your mind, was reasonable doubt of TJ's guilt proven?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Moe Turner expresses his opinion that a good education is the way out of sharecropping. In an essay, explain how the process of sharecropping worked. Where did it go wrong? Who had the power to solve the problem? How could they have solved the problem?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)