|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the boys have breakfast before heading home?
2. When Russell and Dube go to the meeting, what do they witness the "night men" doing?
3. At church, it is discovered that Jacey Peters is pregnant. Who is rumored to be the father?
4. What happens during Cassie's illness?
5. What happens on the way to saying good-bye to Mrs. Lee Annie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information do the Logans get about Stacey?
2. Why do you think Mrs. Lee Annie continues her pursuit of registering to vote in spite of the fact that her friends oppose the idea?
3. In the final chapter, what does the Sheriff reveal about why he is letting Stacey and Moe go?
4. What information does Mr. Jamison have that causes Papa to again begin his search for Stacey?
5. Describe what happens when the Logan's discover Stacey is gone.
6. Describe the events at the union meeting held at the Wheeler's.
7. What does Stacey tell Papa when he writes home to ask about this year's crop?
8. Explain what happens when the Logans arrive in Stokesville.
9. Discuss what seems to happen between Cassie and Suzella after Cassie gets in trouble for losing her temper in school.
10. What does Cassie remember being told about Wordell when she finds him standing over the dead cat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the "night men" that were referred to in the story. Who were they? What were their goals in the novel? Were they successful in meeting their goals?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the relationship Mr. Jamison has with the Logan family. Why was he different than most of the other white people?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that will answer the following questions: What were the assumptions made by the plantation owners about the blacks in the community? Were these assumptions accurate?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)