|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cassie attack Mary Lou Wellever?
2. What does Cassie ask Stacey when she finds the sweet gum tree?
3. Before church, who does Cassie notice watching her cousin Suzella?
4. What does Cousin Bud tell them when he arrives?
5. Why does Cassie accuse Suzella of disliking "colored" people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does the arrival of Suzella have on Cassie?
2. Explain what happens when the Logans arrive in Stokesville.
3. Why do you think Mrs. Lee Annie continues her pursuit of registering to vote in spite of the fact that her friends oppose the idea?
4. Explain why the farmer continued to show disrespect for black people even as he discussed reorganizing the union to include both white and black farmers.
5. In the final chapter, what does the Sheriff reveal about why he is letting Stacey and Moe go?
6. Describe what must Cassie be feeling as she watches the impact Stacey's running away has on her family?
7. Describe what happens when the Logan's discover Stacey is gone.
8. Explain why the Turners have to tear out part of their crop. Discuss why this is seen as unjust.
9. What happens when Mrs. Lee Annie goes to the courthouse to register to vote?
10. Up to this point in the story, what changes has Cassie observed around her, and why is she so determined to keep things the same?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the questions raised in the minds of the characters regarding the injustices that are taking place. What answers are found in the story? What questions are unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the three major themes in the story: family, racism and poverty. How do these subjects relate to one another in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that will answer the following questions: What was the "New Deal"? What were the Works Project Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps mentioned in the novel? What were these programs supposed to do?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)