|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Jamison discredit Mrs.Barnett's testimony?
2. What happens when Stacey and Little Willie try to get a job at the hospital construction site?
3. What does Stacey expect will happen if his Papa finds out he is going to the trial?
4. What wasn't Mrs. Barnett wearing the night her husband was killed?
5. What is Papa's other job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe TJ's lawyer, Mr. Jamison?
2. Explain whether you feel Mrs. Barnett is, or is not, a credible witness.
3. Based on what you have learned up to Chapter 6, what problems would you say Cousin Bud faces because he married a white woman?
4. After Papa drops out of the government program, why does he refuse Mr. Granger's offer to pay the added taxes he will now owe?
5. Identify the reasons Stacey Logan offers to allow Dube Cross to milk their cow to get milk for his siblings rather than just giving him some of their extra milk.
6. Explain why Mama begs Papa not to return to the railroad.
7. Describe what happens when Cassie takes her younger brothers into the courthouse.
8. Can you interpret Moe's reason for refusing a ride from his landowner's son despite the fact he must walk an hour and a half to and from school each day?
9. Explain why there is more importance placed on the children working than getting an education.
10. What reasons does Stacey give at the end of Chapter 2 for what happened to Cassie and her brothers at the courthouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the boycott mentioned in the story and what happened to Mama and Papa Logan because of it.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that will answer the following questions: What was the "New Deal"? What were the Works Project Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps mentioned in the novel? What were these programs supposed to do?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the "night men" that were referred to in the story. Who were they? What were their goals in the novel? Were they successful in meeting their goals?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)