|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the jury deliberates, who sees Cassie and her brothers and reprimands them?
2. Who does Mr. Farnsworth say beat him up?
3. What are Mr. Wheeler and John Moses trying to do?
4. What does Papa say when Uncle Hammer asks him about his other job?
5. When the Logan children and their friends are walking to school, why must they listen for the white school bus?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Papa Logan is asked to join the union he says he wants to think about it. Describe some of the pros and cons he must need to consider.
2. Describe TJ Avery's predicament in the story.
3. What do you feel is happening to members of the Logan family because of the upcoming trial of TJ Avery?
4. Describe the different approaches of the prosecuting attorney and defense attorney as they question Mrs. Barnett at TJ Avery's trial.
5. Describe the reason Cassie defies her father about playing marbles.
6. Identify the reasons Stacey Logan offers to allow Dube Cross to milk their cow to get milk for his siblings rather than just giving him some of their extra milk.
7. Why is it more dangerous for Russell to wear a military uniform when he travels back to Indiana than to wear his civilian clothes?
8. Explain why Mama begs Papa not to return to the railroad.
9. What is the symbolism of Uncle Hammer's vehicle?
10. Explain why there is more importance placed on the children working than getting an education.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how the sharecroppers, day workers and poor farmers survived in the novel. In what ways did each family member contribute? What contributions were made by the youngest and oldest members of each family?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the relationship Mr. Jamison has with the Logan family. Why was he different than most of the other white people?
Essay Topic 3
Write a essay on the author of the story, Mildred A. Taylor. What other novels did she write? What series of novels did she write? Where did she get her inspiration? What kind of awards did she receive for her literary work?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)