|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa reveal to Cassie about his grandfather?
2. What does Stacey say would happen to a black person who got caught using the courthouse restrooms or fountain?
3. Who lives in the Logan's shed?
4. How does Stacey explain Uncle Hammer's anger about the Jacey Peters incident to Cassie?
5. What does Stacey expect will happen if his Papa finds out he is going to the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Mama begs Papa not to return to the railroad.
2. How would you analyze Jeremy Sims' actions in the story?
3. How would you describe TJ's lawyer, Mr. Jamison?
4. Describe the reason Cassie defies her father about playing marbles.
5. When Papa Logan is asked to join the union he says he wants to think about it. Describe some of the pros and cons he must need to consider.
6. Summarize why a sharecropper can never earn enough money to buy his land.
7. Describe TJ Avery's predicament in the story.
8. What revelation does Papa have when he describes Uncle Hammer's reaction to finding Jeremy Sim's photograph?
9. What reasons does Stacey give at the end of Chapter 2 for what happened to Cassie and her brothers at the courthouse?
10. How would you interpret Cousin Bud's reason for wanting his daughter to spend time with the Logan family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the unfair treatment of the sharecroppers and day workers in the novel. The following questions must be answered: In what ways were the sharecroppers and day workers mistreated? Who mistreated them? Why were they mistreated?
Essay Topic 2
What did you learn from the novel about pre-civil-rights history? Write an essay detailing how closely this novel portrayed what actually happened during that period in our history? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the relationship Mr. Jamison has with the Logan family. Why was he different than most of the other white people?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)