|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Uncle Bud offers to leave, who insists that he stay?
2. What happens when Stacey and Little Willie try to get a job at the hospital construction site?
3. Cousin Bud tells Mama that his wife wants their daughter to. . .
4. What did Joe say about Uncle Hammer's new car?
5. What happens when Cassie takes a drink from the courthouse fountain while her brothers use the restrooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. List reasons why Mama and Big Ma try to talk Mrs. Lee Annie out of voting.
2. Describe TJ Avery's predicament in the story.
3. Can you interpret Moe's reason for refusing a ride from his landowner's son despite the fact he must walk an hour and a half to and from school each day?
4. How would you analyze Jeremy Sims' actions in the story?
5. What reasons does Stacey give at the end of Chapter 2 for what happened to Cassie and her brothers at the courthouse?
6. Explain why you think the Logan children run and hide after they get Mr. Farnsworth's help.
7. Describe the reason Cassie defies her father about playing marbles.
8. Identify events in Chapter 2 that demonstrate why the blacks have no faith in the justice system.
9. Analyze the reason Mama doesn't want Stacey to work the whitewashing job.
10. Explain why there is more importance placed on the children working than getting an education.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, Moe Turner expresses his opinion that a good education is the way out of sharecropping. In an essay, explain how the process of sharecropping worked. Where did it go wrong? Who had the power to solve the problem? How could they have solved the problem?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the boycott mentioned in the story and what happened to Mama and Papa Logan because of it.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, describe what Suzella's life might have been like before she came to stay with the Logans and then discuss the ways in which her life changed when she came to live with the Logans. What changes took place within her during that time?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)