|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moe do when Joe Billy offers him a ride home from school?
2. Who owns the beat up Ford truck that was parked outside the Barnett's store the night of the murder?
3. Who do Mama and Big Ma think will give Mrs. Lee Annie trouble if she goes through with her plans?
4. What happens to Cassie's photograph of Jeremy Sims?
5. Where does the Logan family and Mr. Morrison meet each night after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. List the evidence that should have created a reasonable doubt about TJ's guilt in the minds of the jury.
2. What revelation does Papa have when he describes Uncle Hammer's reaction to finding Jeremy Sim's photograph?
3. Explain why Mama begs Papa not to return to the railroad.
4. Describe TJ Avery's predicament in the story.
5. Analyze the reason Mama doesn't want Stacey to work the whitewashing job.
6. Summarize why a sharecropper can never earn enough money to buy his land.
7. What reasons does Stacey give at the end of Chapter 2 for what happened to Cassie and her brothers at the courthouse?
8. Describe the different approaches of the prosecuting attorney and defense attorney as they question Mrs. Barnett at TJ Avery's trial.
9. Can you interpret Moe's reason for refusing a ride from his landowner's son despite the fact he must walk an hour and a half to and from school each day?
10. Explain whether you feel Mrs. Barnett is, or is not, a credible witness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the questions raised in the minds of the characters regarding the injustices that are taking place. What answers are found in the story? What questions are unanswered?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the three major themes in the story: family, racism and poverty. How do these subjects relate to one another in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about Cassie's enlightenment after learning about Jacey Peters' pregnancy and how this helped to positively change her relationship with Suzella.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)