|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Logans begin their search at the Turner farm. What do they learn when they get there?
(a) Moe Turner tells them he hasn't seen Stacey.
(b) Stacey has been hiding in the Turner's barn.
(c) Moe Turner is also missing.
(d) Stacey and Moe went to the construction site of the new hospital for work.
2. How does Mama react to Papa's decision not to search for Stacey?
(a) She insists if he won't go, she will.
(b) She threatens to take the children conduct her own search.
(c) She is angry and won't talk to him.
(d) She threatens to leave Papa.
3. Who joins Papa when he returns from the railroad to search for Stacey?
(b) The entire Logan family.
(d) Uncle Hammer.
4. Who accompanies Mrs. Lee Annie into the courthouse?
(a) Mama, Mrs. Ellis and Cassie
(b) Wordell, Cassie and Mama
(c) Papa and Mama Logan and Cassie
(d) Big Ma, Mama and Cassie
5. What happens when Mr. Granger tells the crowd that Mrs. Lee Annie is there because she wants to vote?
(a) The crowd applauds Mr. Lee Annie for her courage.
(b) The crowd is shocked and angered.
(c) The crowd starts to throw things.
(d) The crowd gets violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stacey is still determined to get a job, but promises to wait for what?
2. What does the Stokesville Sheriff say about the two boys he is holding?
3. What do the Logans learn from the phone call in Mr. Jamison's office?
4. What does the Mississippi constitution say about mixed-race marriages?
5. Who accuses Dube Cross of helping with the union?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what must Cassie be feeling as she watches the impact Stacey's running away has on her family?
2. In the final chapter, what does the Sheriff reveal about why he is letting Stacey and Moe go?
3. Explain why Wordell's comments about Cassie's unkind treatment of Suzella matter so much to Cassie.
4. What is the significance of the song the family sings on Christmas?
5. What does Stacey tell Papa when he writes home to ask about this year's crop?
6. Describe the events at the union meeting held at the Wheeler's.
7. Why is Dube Cross in favor of the union?
8. What does Cassie remember being told about Wordell when she finds him standing over the dead cat?
9. What are the demands of the farmers who arrived in front of the courthouse?
10. Explain why the farmer continued to show disrespect for black people even as he discussed reorganizing the union to include both white and black farmers.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)