|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Papa describe their family without Stacey?
(a) The family is a body, and without Stacey they are no longer complete.
(b) He and Mama will divorce and the family will be split apart.
(c) The family will divide without Stacey.
(d) The family will heal and eventually go on without Stacey.
2. The Sheriff explains the boys were very sick when they were captured. Who took care of them?
(a) The Sheriff.
(b) The Sheriff's deputies.
(c) An old black woman named Aunt Mattie Jones.
(d) A white nurse from town.
3. What news does Mr. Jamison bring to the family?
(a) A cane recruiter said Stacey and Moe quit working the cane fields.
(b) Stacey has been found.
(c) He's talked to a cane recruiter who remembers Stacey.
(d) Information on a cane recruiter.
4. Why is Mr. Wheeler organizing a meeting?
(a) To get all the black farmers to form a union.
(b) To get the farmers to help him build a new barn after his was burned.
(c) To discuss how Mr. Granger and Mr. Peck are taking advantage of the tax laws.
(d) To discuss how Mr. Granger and Mr. Montier are taking advantage of the tax laws.
5. What does the Sheriff say about the way the landowners treat the cane workers?
(a) He agrees that the cane workers are lazy.
(b) He disagrees with the way they treat the workers.
(c) He believes the cane workers need to form a union.
(d) He thinks the landowners need to let the workers have more breaks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cassie during canning season?
2. What do the Logans learn from the phone call in Mr. Jamison's office?
3. How does Mr. Granger convince the crowd that the union is a bad idea?
4. What happens when Cassie sees Wordell running toward the crowd?
5. Who does Cassie find sick in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stacey tell Papa when he writes home to ask about this year's crop?
2. Discuss what seems to happen between Cassie and Suzella after Cassie gets in trouble for losing her temper in school.
3. Why do the three young men humiliate Cousin Bud? Are their actions considered hypocritical?
4. What does Cassie remember being told about Wordell when she finds him standing over the dead cat?
5. What impact does the arrival of Suzella have on Cassie?
6. In the final chapter, what does the Sheriff reveal about why he is letting Stacey and Moe go?
7. How does Papa describe their family without Stacey to Cassie?
8. Describe what must Cassie be feeling as she watches the impact Stacey's running away has on her family?
9. Describe the events at the union meeting held at the Wheeler's.
10. Why is Dube Cross in favor of the union?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)