|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does Suzella get lessons?
(a) From Mama.
(b) From her mother.
(c) From New York.
(d) From the Mississippi school system.
2. What happens to Cassie during canning season?
(a) She can't help because she misses Stacey so much.
(b) She burns herself.
(c) She gets sick with scarlet fever.
(d) She learns how to do the canning.
3. Why does Cassie accuse Suzella of disliking "colored" people?
(a) Because Suzella tried to pass herself off as white to Stuart.
(b) Because Suzella told her she hates her.
(c) Because Suzella's skin is lighter.
(d) Because Suzella has told everyone she is white.
4. What happens after Miss Crocker breaks up the fight and takes Cassie to a classroom?
(a) Cassie runs into the woods.
(b) Cassie fights with Suzella.
(c) Suzella takes Cassie for a walk in the woods.
(d) Miss Crocker gives Cassie detention.
5. What happens when they take Moe home?
(a) The Logans witness his reunion with his family.
(b) No one is home so they take Moe into the house and leave.
(c) Cassie stays to help take care of Moe.
(d) The Turners are angry with Moe for leaving.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Papa describe their family without Stacey?
2. What bad news does the family receive in a letter from Papa?
3. What happens when Suzella enrolls in the Mississippi school system?
4. How does Mama react to Papa's decision not to search for Stacey?
5. What do the boys tell them about the job at the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information do the Logans get about Stacey?
2. What happens when Mrs. Lee Annie goes to the courthouse to register to vote?
3. Describe what must Cassie be feeling as she watches the impact Stacey's running away has on her family?
4. What impact does the arrival of Suzella have on Cassie?
5. How does the ending of the story relate the title, "Will the Circle be Unbroken?"?
6. List several of the reasons Stacey wants to get a job, even if doing so is against the wishes of his family.
7. Explain why the farmer continued to show disrespect for black people even as he discussed reorganizing the union to include both white and black farmers.
8. Why do you think Mrs. Lee Annie continues her pursuit of registering to vote in spite of the fact that her friends oppose the idea?
9. Describe what happens when the Logan's discover Stacey is gone.
10. Up to this point in the story, what changes has Cassie observed around her, and why is she so determined to keep things the same?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)