|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives in the Logan's shed?
(a) Mr. Jamison.
(b) Mr. Morrison.
(d) Big Ma.
2. When Uncle Bud offers to leave, who insists that he stay?
(b) Uncle Hammer.
(c) Big Ma.
3. What relationship does Mr. Granger have with Mrs. Lee Annie?
(a) He is the Mayor and he's afaid she'll run against him.
(b) He is secretly courting her.
(c) He owns the land where she lives.
(d) He is her neighbor.
4. What happens when Stacey says he wants to go to TJ's trial?
(a) They hold a family meeting.
(b) They say he will be put on trial with TJ.
(c) Mr. Morrison laughs at him.
(d) His parents say he cannot go.
5. Who returns home wearing an Army uniform?
(d) Don Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which marble catches Cassie's eye?
2. Although TJ doesn't say anything as he is led from the courthouse, what does he do?
3. From where do they all watch the trial?
4. During his testimony, Reverend Gabson says that TJ was with RW and Melvin Sims on the night of the murder. Where were they?
5. What is the only reason why TJ Avery was not lynched after he was caught?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does Papa have when he describes Uncle Hammer's reaction to finding Jeremy Sim's photograph?
2. After Papa drops out of the government program, why does he refuse Mr. Granger's offer to pay the added taxes he will now owe?
3. What reasons does Stacey give at the end of Chapter 2 for what happened to Cassie and her brothers at the courthouse?
4. How would you interpret Cousin Bud's reason for wanting his daughter to spend time with the Logan family?
5. What is the most important evidence against TJ Avery at his murder trial? Why?
6. Identify events in Chapter 2 that demonstrate why the blacks have no faith in the justice system.
7. Explain why there is more importance placed on the children working than getting an education.
8. Explain why you think the Logan children run and hide after they get Mr. Farnsworth's help.
9. Explain whether you feel Mrs. Barnett is, or is not, a credible witness.
10. Explain why Papa feels playing marbles leads to gambling.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)