|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joe say about Uncle Hammer's new car?
(a) The yellow is a happy color.
(b) The Packard was a nicer shade of yellow.
(c) He liked the Packard more.
(d) The yellow color is too bright.
2. What happens to Cassie's photograph of Jeremy Sims?
(a) Uncle Hammer throws it in the fire.
(b) Cassie loses it.
(c) Papa tears it up.
(d) Jeremy takes it back.
3. What does Papa say about laws?
(a) Laws can be ignored if you don't like them.
(b) Laws are outdated.
(c) Laws are made for white people.
(d) Laws are fair to everyone.
4. During his testimony, Reverend Gabson says that TJ was with RW and Melvin Sims on the night of the murder. Where were they?
(a) At a revival.
(b) At church.
(c) At the pool hall.
(d) In a car.
5. What is sharecropping?
(a) The government pays farmers not to grow crops.
(b) Farmers share the crop they have grown that year.
(c) The share of the crop the bank gets to repay loans they made to the farmers.
(d) Landowners rent out a piece of their land to farmers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stacey say would happen to a black person who got caught using the courthouse restrooms or fountain?
2. Who is in jail, accused of killing Mr. Barnett?
3. On the day of the trial, who does Stacey meet at the crossroad?
4. What is Papa's other job?
5. Why does Stacey say white men use black women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason the sharecroppers and day workers want a union, especially an integrated union?
2. Identify events in Chapter 2 that demonstrate why the blacks have no faith in the justice system.
3. Can you interpret Moe's reason for refusing a ride from his landowner's son despite the fact he must walk an hour and a half to and from school each day?
4. Summarize why a sharecropper can never earn enough money to buy his land.
5. List the evidence that should have created a reasonable doubt about TJ's guilt in the minds of the jury.
6. Describe the reason Cassie defies her father about playing marbles.
7. Describe what happens when Cassie takes her younger brothers into the courthouse.
8. Why is it more dangerous for Russell to wear a military uniform when he travels back to Indiana than to wear his civilian clothes?
9. Analyze the reaction of finding Doris Ann hanging from a rope, in spite of the obvious fact that Wordell was the reason she did not die.
10. Describe TJ Avery's predicament in the story.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)