|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cassie feel about Suzella leaving?
(a) She secretly wants to go along so that she can see New York.
(b) She is happy to get her room back.
(c) She is saddened.
(d) She secretly cheers the fact that her rival will leave.
2. What does Cousin Bud tell them when he arrives?
(a) He is taking Suzella to New York so they can go to Time Square on New Year's Eve.
(b) That he is taking Suzella back to New York because he and her mother are going to try to save their marriage.
(c) He is going to divorce Suzella's mother and he wants his daughter to stay with the Logans.
(d) That he and Suzella's mother are getting a divorce and Suzella is going back to New York to live with her mother.
3. Who accompanies Mrs. Lee Annie into the courthouse?
(a) Mama, Mrs. Ellis and Cassie
(b) Wordell, Cassie and Mama
(c) Papa and Mama Logan and Cassie
(d) Big Ma, Mama and Cassie
4. What does Cassie overhear when Papa leaves his bedroom?
(a) Her mother yelling at him to search for her son.
(b) Papa talking to Uncle Hammer about Stacey.
(c) Papa talking to the Sheriff about Stacey and Moe.
(d) Papa saying he is going for a long walk.
5. What happens on the way to saying good-bye to Mrs. Lee Annie?
(a) Stuart and Pierceson block the road so they have to stop.
(b) Stuart and Joe Billy ask them to pull over.
(c) Stuart, Joe Billy and Pierceson run them off the road.
(d) Stuart, Joe Billy and Pierceson ask them to pull over.
6. How does Mama react to Papa's decision not to search for Stacey?
(a) She threatens to take the children conduct her own search.
(b) She insists if he won't go, she will.
(c) She is angry and won't talk to him.
(d) She threatens to leave Papa.
7. What does Cassie want to do when she hears Mrs. Lee Annie wants to register to vote?
(a) She also wants to register to vote.
(b) She wants to talk her out of it.
(c) She wants to go along and watch.
(d) She wants to talk to Wordell about it.
8. What does Stacey's note tell the family?
(a) He has run away to get a job.
(b) That he is going to marry Jacey Peters even though he is not the father of her baby.
(c) That he is going north to find work.
(d) That he is going to work on the railroad with their father.
9. What does Sheriff Dobbs and Mr. Peck tell the Turners they must do?
(a) They must not plant any cotton next year.
(b) They must get another cow.
(c) The Turners must tear up a portion of their cotton crop.
(d) They must sell some of their crop to pay taxes.
10. Why does Cassie accuse Suzella of disliking "colored" people?
(a) Because Suzella tried to pass herself off as white to Stuart.
(b) Because Suzella's skin is lighter.
(c) Because Suzella told her she hates her.
(d) Because Suzella has told everyone she is white.
11. What does Stacey give Cassie before he leaves home?
(a) His promise to spend more time with her.
(b) A good-bye note.
(c) His knife.
(d) His share of the cotton money.
12. Before church, who does Cassie notice watching her cousin Suzella?
(a) A group of boys.
(c) Jake Willis.
13. What does Papa tell Cassie to do about Stacey's absence?
(a) Stop worrying; Stacey is old enough to make his own decisions.
(b) Have faith that Stacey will return.
(c) Tell all her friends to keep looking for Stacey.
(d) She will eventually forget her brother.
14. Who accuses Dube Cross of helping with the union?
(a) Mr. Wheeler.
(c) Mr. Cross.
15. What does Cassie see Russell and Suzella do?
(a) Hold hands.
(c) Go for a walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the farmers form a crowd in front of the courthouse?
2. What does Papa do when he hears the news?
3. What do the Logans learn from the phone call in Mr. Jamison's office?
4. What does Stacey say about being home?
5. How does Papa describe their family without Stacey?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)