|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stacey is still determined to get a job, but promises to wait for what?
(a) Until he can come up with a good cover story.
(b) Until he can convince his mother it is in the best interest of the family.
(c) To talk to his father when he returns home for the revival.
(d) Until he can find a job closer to home.
2. What does Stacey say about being home?
(a) "It's the very best place to be."
(b) "Home is where family is."
(c) "Home is where the heart is."
(d) "There is no place like home."
3. What happens when Jake Willis offers a gift to Suzella?
(a) All of the answers are correct.
(b) Papa says Jake is too old for such a young girl.
(c) Papa refuses the gift.
(d) Papa says Suzella is too young to be courted.
4. What does Suzella do to try to befriend Cassie?
(a) She offers to let Cassie borrow some of her city dresses.
(b) She offers to take Cassie swimming.
(c) She offers to do Cassie's hair.
(d) She pulls jiggers out of Cassie's feet.
5. The Sheriff explains the boys were very sick when they were captured. Who took care of them?
(a) The Sheriff.
(b) The Sheriff's deputies.
(c) A white nurse from town.
(d) An old black woman named Aunt Mattie Jones.
6. What does Cassie do when she sees her brother Stacey is changing?
(a) She follows him around.
(b) She tells her mother he is being mean.
(c) She listens to his phone conversations.
(d) She gets angry because he ignores her.
7. What does Big Ma tell Cassie when she complains about Suzella?
(a) That she better get used to having Suzella around because she's going to stay forever.
(b) That she should be more like Suzella.
(c) That Suzella is supposed to be like a sister to her.
(d) That she dislikes Suzella because she is white and she is jealous.
8. What do the boys tell them about the job at the plantation?
(a) The job paid so poorly, they couldn't pay their hotel bill so they ran away.
(b) It was brutally hard work.
(c) The job was good, but the conditions were deplorable.
(d) It was hard work, but it paid well.
9. What happens after Miss Crocker breaks up the fight and takes Cassie to a classroom?
(a) Suzella takes Cassie for a walk in the woods.
(b) Cassie runs into the woods.
(c) Cassie fights with Suzella.
(d) Miss Crocker gives Cassie detention.
10. What does Stacey's note tell the family?
(a) That he is going to marry Jacey Peters even though he is not the father of her baby.
(b) He has run away to get a job.
(c) That he is going north to find work.
(d) That he is going to work on the railroad with their father.
11. Where do the boys have breakfast before heading home?
(a) The Sheriff's home.
(b) The Sheriff's office.
(c) With Aunt Mattie Jones.
(d) A local restaurant.
12. What condition are Stacey and Moe in when they are brought up?
(a) Both boys are in good shape.
(b) Stacey is in better shape than Moe.
(c) Moe is in better shape than Stacey.
(d) They are bleeding and dressed in rags.
13. What does Sheriff Dobbs and Mr. Peck tell the Turners they must do?
(a) They must not plant any cotton next year.
(b) The Turners must tear up a portion of their cotton crop.
(c) They must sell some of their crop to pay taxes.
(d) They must get another cow.
14. What does Cassie ask Suzella that gets them off on the wrong foot?
(a) What is it like to be bi-racial?
(b) What is it like to be white and have a "colored" father?
(c) What is it like to be "colored" and have a white mother?
(d) What is it like to live up north?
15. Stacey tell Moe he secretly likes which of the following?
(a) A white girl.
(c) A girl from Strawberry.
(d) Jacey Peters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the other farmers have to do what the Turners did to their crop?
2. What happened to the boy who died?
3. What does Cousin Bud tell them when he arrives?
4. If the Logans have their best cotton crop ever, why are they still worried about paying taxes?
5. What does Cassie want to do when she hears Mrs. Lee Annie wants to register to vote?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)