|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What moves through the town, causing people to become anxious and nervous?
2. Grant also encourages Jefferson to be a _______ to Miss Emma, the children of the quarter, and to him.
3. What did Joe Claiborne knock Grant unconscious with?
4. What is the present the sits beneath the tree in the classroom?
5. Who does Jefferson talk to to tell that he will meet Tante Lou, Miss Emma, and Reverend Ambrose in the day room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The radio is a great source of joy for Jefferson and a source of contention among those who care about Jefferson. The radio is referred to as a 'distraction,' but why do you think this is the case? Doesn't it seem like the radio is something that Jefferson should enjoy? Why or why not? If you were one of the people that disliked the radio, what else would you suggest that he have in his cell to take its place?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship of Vivian and Grant is a complicated one, but perhaps that's only a matter of their current positions - she in her marriage, and Grant in his depression. Do you feel that their relationship is a strong one? A healthy one? Do you feel that these two will be together at some point? Do they seem like a couple that has a chance? What do they have to offer each other? How do they hurt each other?
Essay Topic 3
Grant doesn't go to watch the execution of Jefferson, but feels guilty for this later. Why do you think he chose to stay away? Do you think this was a wise decision for him? Why or why not? What would you have done if you were Grant? If you were the other characters?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)