|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grant knows that Jefferson is dead when the butterfly leaves ________________.
2. Who kisses Jefferson, causing him to cry?
3. What do Tante Lou, Miss Emma and Reverend Ambrose call the radio?
4. What moves through the town, causing people to become anxious and nervous?
5. Jefferson says in his journal that God only helps ____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant doesn't go to watch the execution of Jefferson, but feels guilty for this later. Why do you think he chose to stay away? Do you think this was a wise decision for him? Why or why not? What would you have done if you were Grant? If you were the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
The truck that moves through the town with the electrocution chair makes everyone nervous in town. Do you think this path was taken purposefully to spread fear in the town? Why or why not? Who do you think the chair's presence is meant to scare more, blacks or whites? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Grant has sexual problems with Vivian as a result of his interactions with Jefferson, it seems. Could there be another reason? What do you think Grant could do to get back his sexual relationship with Vivian? Is this important to their relationship? Why or why not?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)