|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the women go to church, what does Grant do?
2. What are the two men discussing with Joe Claiborne?
3. Who does NOT press Grant for details about his visit with Jefferson?
4. How long until this person in #28 can visit Jefferson?
5. When Grant arrives, what does Jefferson ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Grant's teacher, the one who made him feel as though his teaching is pointless?
2. What happens on the day of the fourth visit to see Jefferson?
3. Why is Reverend Ambrose jealous of Grant?
4. What has Jefferson recorded in the notebook that Grant had given him?
5. What does Grant instruct his students to do before and during their annual inspection?
6. What does Bonin tell Grant about Bonin's relationship with Jefferson?
7. What does Bonin say that Grant should tell his students about Jefferson?
8. Why does Jefferson refuse to go into the day room at first?
9. What does Jefferson say that makes Miss Emma slap him?
10. Because of his involvement with Jefferson, what has happened to Grant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jefferson taunts Vivian in a conversation with Grant, but Grant does not respond. Why do you think the Grant doesn't respond and stand up for his lover? Why do you think Jefferson is taunting Grant in the first place? What does Grant's restraint say about him? About his relationship with Jefferson? With Vivian?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of faith and and its importance is brought up by Reverend Ambrose at one point to Grant in relation to Jefferson. How do you feel that faith and belief could have helped Jefferson? What could Jefferson have done to bring more faith into his life? Do you feel that this would have made Jefferson happier or unhappier? If Grant isn't a very religious person, why does he tell the Reverend Ambrose to bring a bible with him when he visits?
Essay Topic 3
The truck that moves through the town with the electrocution chair makes everyone nervous in town. Do you think this path was taken purposefully to spread fear in the town? Why or why not? Who do you think the chair's presence is meant to scare more, blacks or whites? Why?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)