|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that all in the courtroom know what the outcome of the trial will be?
2. How long until this person in #28 can visit Jefferson?
3. When Grant arrives, what does Jefferson ask?
4. Who is told that they are 'smart. Maybe you're just a little too smart for our own good'?
5. What does Miss Emma promise the other prisoners as they leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Grant tell Jefferson he wants him to do?
2. What has Jefferson recorded in the notebook that Grant had given him?
3. What does Reverend Ambrose tell Grant he must tell Jefferson?
4. When Grant sees the deliverymen joking with each other like his students do, what does he wonder?
5. What does Bonin tell Grant about Bonin's relationship with Jefferson?
6. Why does Jefferson refuse to go into the day room at first?
7. What does Grant do after he snaps at a student?
8. Why does Grant go with Miss Emma and Tante Lou to Mr. Pichot's house?
9. Who does Grant put in charge of the class when he is told he must go to Henri Pinchot's house immediately?
10. What does Jefferson say that he wants when Grant asks him if he wants anything?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grant's teacher Michael Antoine is a fascinating character, even if he's only mentioned in passing. He believes that his skin color makes him better than other African Americans, which seems to be contradictory to the overall fight of racism. After all, believing that your color makes you better is in direct opposition to the idea of creating equality. Why do you think that Antoine believes what he does? Do you think it would help him in his life? How do you think this has affected Grant in his life? What kind of example does this provide for Grant and thus for his students?
Essay Topic 2
Grant is the one who is designated to help Jefferson as he prepares to die, but why is Grant chosen in the first place? List three possible reasons why he is the best choice, as well as three reasons why he isn't the best choice. Is there someone else who might have been able to get through to Jefferson as well?
Essay Topic 3
Jefferson taunts Vivian in a conversation with Grant, but Grant does not respond. Why do you think the Grant doesn't respond and stand up for his lover? Why do you think Jefferson is taunting Grant in the first place? What does Grant's restraint say about him? About his relationship with Jefferson? With Vivian?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)