|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Grant arrives, what does Jefferson ask?
2. What was Jefferson called during the trial?
3. What does Grant long to have?
4. What is something Grant does NOT tell his students to do when the superintendent arrives?
5. Who warns Grant of the impending annual visit by the superintendent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jefferson offer to Bonin as he is preparing for his death?
2. Jefferson tells Sam Guindry that he will meet Tante Lou, Miss Emma and Reverend Ambrose in which room?
3. Why does Jefferson refuse to go into the day room at first?
4. What does Grant notice when he looks through Jefferson's barred window?
5. Why is Reverend Ambrose jealous of Grant?
6. Who is the object of Grant's affection and of a secret love affair?
7. Why is Grant outraged that Miss Emma is suddenly sick?
8. What does Grant instruct his students to do before and during their annual inspection?
9. When does Grant realize that Jefferson has died?
10. What does Reverend Ambrose tell Grant he must tell Jefferson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The truck that moves through the town with the electrocution chair makes everyone nervous in town. Do you think this path was taken purposefully to spread fear in the town? Why or why not? Who do you think the chair's presence is meant to scare more, blacks or whites? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jefferson taunts Vivian in a conversation with Grant, but Grant does not respond. Why do you think the Grant doesn't respond and stand up for his lover? Why do you think Jefferson is taunting Grant in the first place? What does Grant's restraint say about him? About his relationship with Jefferson? With Vivian?
Essay Topic 3
Grant doesn't go to watch the execution of Jefferson, but feels guilty for this later. Why do you think he chose to stay away? Do you think this was a wise decision for him? Why or why not? What would you have done if you were Grant? If you were the other characters?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)