|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Grant's teacher's skin?
2. Why does Grant whack the student on the head with a ruler?
3. What is written on the blackboards?
4. Who does NOT enter the kitchen at 6:45 PM?
5. Grant tells a student to leave the classroom. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the recurring dream that Jefferson records in his journal?
2. To whom does Grant dedicate the Christmas program at his school?
3. What does Grant do after he snaps at a student?
4. Who is the person who gets into trouble when offered a ride to the White Rabbit Bar and Lounge?
5. Because of his involvement with Jefferson, what has happened to Grant?
6. What is the result of the belated meeting at Pichot's house?
7. When Miss Emma asks Tante Lou why God hates her, what does Reverend Ambrose tell Miss Emma?
8. What does Grant say to Tante Lou when she begins to get out of the car when they arrive at Pichot's house?
9. Though Grant finds Tante Lou and Miss Emma home when he returns from school, what does he do?
10. When Grant sees the deliverymen joking with each other like his students do, what does he wonder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Grant is waiting to talk to Vivian about the good visit he had with Jefferson, he overhears a conversation about Jefferson by mulatto bricklayers and reacts violently. Why do you think he reacts this way? Do you think there was another way for him to react to their comments? Why do you think the bricklayers said what they said?
Essay Topic 2
Grant has sexual problems with Vivian as a result of his interactions with Jefferson, it seems. Could there be another reason? What do you think Grant could do to get back his sexual relationship with Vivian? Is this important to their relationship? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Miss Emma visits and offers him food at one point, she slaps him for saying he is a pig getting ready for the slaughter. Why do you think Miss Emma slapped him? Do you think this helped Jefferson at all? Do you think this action hurt Jefferson emotionally? Does physical violence ever help someone learn a lesson?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)