|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Vivian's husband?
(a) At home
(c) In the other room
2. What does Grant not want to spend his life doing?
(a) Being bored
(b) Teaching children on a plantation
(c) Living in this town
(d) Being oppressed
3. What reason does Grant give for staying in town?
(a) He is ashamed to leave
(b) He doesn't have enough money to leave
(c) He wants to be with Vivian
(d) He was forbidden to leave
4. What does Rougon's family own in a neighboring town?
(a) A bank
(b) A dry cleaner
(c) A supermarket
(d) A tailormaking shop
5. What does Grant long to have?
(a) More control over his life
(b) More sex
(c) More money
(d) More peace with his family
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Grant's surprise visitor?
2. How early does Grant go to Pichot's home?
3. Where is the courthouse located?
4. How had Grant been taught to avoid this kind of humiliation?
5. What is written on the blackboards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bonin tell Grant about Bonin's relationship with Jefferson?
2. When Vivian surprises Grant at his home, he is embarrassed by the house, but Vivian calls it peaceful How does Grant describe his home?
3. Though Grant finds Tante Lou and Miss Emma home when he returns from school, what does he do?
4. What does Grant tell Miss Emma, Tante Lou, and Reverend Ambrose about his visit with Jefferson?
5. To whom does Grant dedicate the Christmas program at his school?
6. When does Grant realize that Jefferson has died?
7. Why is Reverend Ambrose jealous of Grant?
8. Why was Vivian shunned in Free LaCove?
9. What is the recurring dream that Jefferson records in his journal?
10. Why does Jefferson say that it does not matter if he eats chicken or dirt?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)