|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Grant's surprise visitor?
(c) Miss Emma
2. Who is the fellow teacher with whom Grant is having an affair?
3. What does Grant not want to spend his life doing?
(a) Teaching children on a plantation
(b) Living in this town
(c) Being bored
(d) Being oppressed
4. What does Grant notice through the barred window?
(a) Blue sky and yelllow leaves
(b) Spring buds
(c) Dark clouds
5. What does Rougon's family own in a neighboring town?
(a) A bank
(b) A dry cleaner
(c) A tailormaking shop
(d) A supermarket
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Emma want Grant to help Jefferson know before he is executed?
2. What does the superintendent inspect on the children?
3. Who is the young African American man at the center of the trial?
4. Who warns Grant of the impending annual visit by the superintendent?
5. Who does Grant see joking that makes him question his role as a teacher?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Vivian surprises Grant at his home, he is embarrassed by the house, but Vivian calls it peaceful How does Grant describe his home?
2. Why does Jefferson refuse to go into the day room at first?
3. Though Grant finds Tante Lou and Miss Emma home when he returns from school, what does he do?
4. Where does Grant go in order to think about ways to lie to Miss Emma?
5. What is the result of the belated meeting at Pichot's house?
6. What happens on the day of the fourth visit to see Jefferson?
7. Who was Grant's teacher, the one who made him feel as though his teaching is pointless?
8. Grant has a theory about why he feels he has left some of his anger behind. What is his theory?
9. When is the execution date for Jefferson?
10. Who makes an annual visit to the school to inspect Grant's classroom?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)