|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Grant's teacher tell Grant to do?
(a) Keep teaching no matter what
(b) Get out of the community
(c) Kill himself
(d) Stop seeing his lover
2. Where did the men in #3 end up going?
(a) White Rabbit Bar and Lounge
(b) White Jackal Tavern
(c) Red Room
(d) Rainbow Club
3. Who is the fellow teacher with whom Grant is having an affair?
4. Who warns Grant of the impending annual visit by the superintendent?
(a) Miss Emma
5. What is displayed in front of the court building?
(a) A statue of a Confederate soldier
(b) A large statue of the scales of justice
(c) A placard with the Bill of Rights
(d) A statude of an infantry man
Short Answer Questions
1. The Reverend Ambrose tells Miss Emma that God is just ____________.
2. What are Grant's students preparing?
3. Who does NOT enter the kitchen at 6:45 PM?
4. Who does Grant hear calling his Tante Lou from the road?
5. What does Miss Emma promise the other prisoners as they leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bonin say that Grant should tell his students about Jefferson?
2. Who is the object of Grant's affection and of a secret love affair?
3. When Jefferson writes about Samson, what is the question that springs into his mind?
4. Vivian takes Grant to her home, but Grant protests this. Why does he protest this action?
5. Who is the narrator of the story, revealed in the second chapter?
6. What does Grant instruct his students to do before and during their annual inspection?
7. What does Grant tell Miss Emma, Tante Lou, and Reverend Ambrose about his visit with Jefferson?
8. What happens on the day of the fourth visit to see Jefferson?
9. What happens at the beginning of every visit to see Jefferson?
10. What responsibility does Grant try to tell Jefferson he has?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)