Chapter 1 | Chapter 2
• The unnamed narrator is talking about a courtroom and a trial.
• The proceedings revolve around Jefferson who got into trouble when offered a ride.
• When Brother and Bear give him a ride, they ask her for money that he doesn't have.
• Grope refuses to sell Brother and Bear wine on credit.
• Grope begins shooting everyone, and all but Jefferson are dead.
• Jefferson decides to run, but two white men walk in.
• The jury finds Jefferson guilty of murder and sentences him to death.
• The narrator's identity is revealed as Grant Wiggins, an African American teacher.
• Grant returns home to find his aunt Tante Lou and Miss Emma sitting at the kitchen table.
• The trial is over.
• Tante Lou makes Grant talk with Miss Emma instead of going to the Rainbow Club.
• Miss Emma talks about the trial and the attorney's use of the word, 'hog.'...
This section contains 2,502 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)