|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's pliability and perseverance to?
2. When Ichabod reaches the road to Sleepy Hollow, what does Gunpowder do?
3. To those in Sleepy Hollow, Brom Van Burnt is considered to be a ______.
4. Where does the women in white haunt?
5. Who is missing the day after the Van Tassel's party?
Essay Topic 1
Although Ichabod is set up as the protagonist, some modern readers may believe him to be an anti-hero. Do you think he is a protagonist or an anti-hero? Support your response with specific references to the text.
Essay Topic 2
Ichabod and Brom are both competing for Katrina Van Tassels's affection. Compare and contrast how each one tries to win her hand at marriage.
Part 1) Compare how Brom and Ichabod react at the Van Tassel's party to Katrina's flirting.
Part 2) Contrast how Brom and Ichabod behave at the men's meeting after the party.
Essay Topic 3
A metaphor is used to compare to unlike things. In what ways is the metaphor played throughout the story? How and where is the metaphor prevalent in the story? Do you think the use of metaphors is effective to the overall storyline? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)