|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which demi-god does the narrator compare to Ichabod?
2. What do some in Sleepy Hollow believe happened to Ichabod?
3. Who is the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow?
4. What do the people of Sleepy Hollow search for after the Van Tassel's party?
5. In Brom's tale of the Hessian, what town has he returned from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret the meaning of The Headless Horseman's race with Ichabod Crane after the Van Tassel's party. What does this event in the story mean? What purpose does the author hope to serve by presenting the Headless Horseman character in this manner?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author set the story up so that the reader believes anything can happen? How does he toy with the reader? What phrases and word choices does he use to convey the mystic of the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the story set the tone?
Part 1) How does the usage of the quatrain poem further promote the tone?
Part 2) How does the poem's word choice also promote the tone?
Part 3) The papers are said to be found amongst those of a dead man. How does this promote the tone?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)