|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brom, the Headless Horseman vanishes in what manner?
2. In Brom's tale of the Hessian, what town has he returned from?
3. How does the narrator describe the farmers' wives at Van Tassel's party?
4. Brom Bones is noted for preferring what kind of animals?
5. What is the tone of the story?
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Ichabod's classroom becomes a "battleground." The types of battles the two combatants employ are very different. Compare and contrast the methods both men use to engage in battle for Katrina. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of a birch tree growing near the school house cabin and why is it ironic? The narrator refers to Ichabod's use of discipline and his type of discipline often allowed the weak to escape but the strong were severely punished.
Essay Topic 3
Ichabod and Brom are both competing for Katrina Van Tassels's affection. Compare and contrast how each one tries to win her hand at marriage.
Part 1) Compare how Brom and Ichabod react at the Van Tassel's party to Katrina's flirting.
Part 2) Contrast how Brom and Ichabod behave at the men's meeting after the party.
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)