|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the narrator tells the events of Van Tassel's party, he refers to himself as what?
2. A new path leads Ichabod, Gunpowder, and his mysterious rider to what location?
3. What does Van Ripper do with Ichabod's belongings?
4. Who founded the area around Sleepy Hollow?
5. What do the people of Sleepy Hollow search for after the Van Tassel's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, the narrator describes Ichabod as a scarecrow. At the end of the story, a smashed pumpkin is found, but Ichabod has vanished. What is the significance of using the scarecrow and pumpkin for Ichabod? Why did the author want to convey about Ichabod's character?
Essay Topic 2
Ichabod's school was described as an eelpot. This is a structure used to keep eels in, making it difficult for them to leave. Why does the author chooses to use snakes and eels to describe Ichabod and his students? Explain the purpose and the tone the author wants to convey and support your response with text.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the story set the tone?
Part 1) How does the usage of the quatrain poem further promote the tone?
Part 2) How does the poem's word choice also promote the tone?
Part 3) The papers are said to be found amongst those of a dead man. How does this promote the tone?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)