|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insect does the narrator compare Ichabod's elbows while mounted on Gunpowder?
2. Under what cover does Ichabod pursue Katrina?
3. What is one thing Ichabod does with the ladies between service on Sunday?
4. According to Old Brouwer, what happens to the Headless Horseman?
5. What destination does Ichabod hope to reach as he races from his pursuer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ichabod's school was described as an eelpot. This is a structure used to keep eels in, making it difficult for them to leave. Why does the author chooses to use snakes and eels to describe Ichabod and his students? Explain the purpose and the tone the author wants to convey and support your response with text.
Essay Topic 2
How does the reader utilize historic life and integrate it into the story? The reader learns about varied aspects of a Hudson River community during the turn of the nineteenth century. What information does the author convey to the reader about this time period?
Part 1) What are the aspects of a school and teachers?
Part 2) How are marriages arranged and conducted?
Part 3) How does church impact the community?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Ichabod's classroom becomes a "battleground." The types of battles the two combatants employ are very different. Compare and contrast the methods both men use to engage in battle for Katrina. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)