|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, the papers are found amongst whose belongings?
2. What item of Ichabod's is found the day after the Van Tassel's party near horse tracks?
3. What animal does the narrator compare to Ichabod's appetite?
4. What does Van Ripper do with Ichabod's belongings?
5. What do the country people hear haunting through the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A metaphor is used to compare to unlike things. In what ways is the metaphor played throughout the story? How and where is the metaphor prevalent in the story? Do you think the use of metaphors is effective to the overall storyline? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Ichabod and Brom are both competing for Katrina Van Tassels's affection. Compare and contrast how each one tries to win her hand at marriage.
Part 1) Compare how Brom and Ichabod react at the Van Tassel's party to Katrina's flirting.
Part 2) Contrast how Brom and Ichabod behave at the men's meeting after the party.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Ichabod's clothing blowing around him? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)