|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another term for courting as defined by the Dutch?
2. According to Brom, the Headless Horseman vanishes in what manner?
3. Who do the old country women believe haunt the area?
4. What else does Ichabod pride himself on besides his singing?
5. When Ichabod meets the dark figure, what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's use of names reveals a lot about the characters. Select a character from the story and describe what his/her name reveals about the character. Use examples from the text to discuss and support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author's descriptions of Ichabod Crane, even the usage of his surname, conjures the images of a bird. Why does the author want the reader to see Ichabod as birdlike? Is it because he is flighty? Or does his gossiping with the women in town one of "cawing" like a raven? Describe why and how the author continues to connect Ichabod to a bird and what purpose the author does this.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of a birch tree growing near the school house cabin and why is it ironic? The narrator refers to Ichabod's use of discipline and his type of discipline often allowed the weak to escape but the strong were severely punished.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)