|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichabod try to get Gunpowder to do as they gallop away from the dark figure?
2. What does the narrator say lies in Gunpowder's good eye?
3. When Ichabod reaches the road to Sleepy Hollow, what does Gunpowder do?
4. Where is Sleepy Hollow located?
5. What item of Ichabod's is found the day after the Van Tassel's party near horse tracks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of a birch tree growing near the school house cabin and why is it ironic? The narrator refers to Ichabod's use of discipline and his type of discipline often allowed the weak to escape but the strong were severely punished.
Essay Topic 2
Although Ichabod is set up as the protagonist, some modern readers may believe him to be an anti-hero. Do you think he is a protagonist or an anti-hero? Support your response with specific references to the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of Ichabod's eyes being green? Explain how the author uses Ichabod's eye color to reveal aspects of his character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)