|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does the narrator compare to Ichabod's appetite?
2. As Ichabod reaches the bridge, what item does the dark rider throw at him to knock him to the ground?
3. What prize did Brom say he and the Headless Horseman race for?
4. What insect does the narrator compare Ichabod's elbows while mounted on Gunpowder?
5. Whenever someone speaks of Ichabod Crane, what does Brom do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the antagonist in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and defend your opinion with details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Although Ichabod is set up as the protagonist, some modern readers may believe him to be an anti-hero. Do you think he is a protagonist or an anti-hero? Support your response with specific references to the text.
Essay Topic 3
Ichabod's school was described as an eelpot. This is a structure used to keep eels in, making it difficult for them to leave. Why does the author chooses to use snakes and eels to describe Ichabod and his students? Explain the purpose and the tone the author wants to convey and support your response with text.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)