|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character values Katrina more than a pipe?
2. What do Brom Bones and Ichabod Crane have in common?
3. What are the boys from Sleepy Hollow called?
4. What is the time period of the story?
5. What does the narrator believe about Sleepy Hollow's people and their customs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator call Van Tassel's estate a "castle"?
2. In what ways does Washington Irving lend credibility to his story?
3. What words does the speaker use to convey that there is in fact something magical and mystical about the area? How does this word choice create the mood?
4. What is the purpose of Brom Bones sharing his story of racing against the Headless Horseman?
5. What is the significance of Ichabod leading others in psalms and proudly standing in church singing?
6. The narrator compares Ichabod to an anaconda which is able to ingest huge quantities without permanently altering its shape. Why else is Ichabod like a snake?
7. What is the irony of stories being told about Ichabod haunting Sleepy Hollow?
8. What does the author imply by using the allusion of the lion and the lamb?
9. Why is Ichabod's appetite for the occult a necessary part of the plot?
10. What qualifies the tale at the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story? Who was involved and what was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
A metaphor is used to compare to unlike things. In what ways is the metaphor played throughout the story? How and where is the metaphor prevalent in the story? Do you think the use of metaphors is effective to the overall storyline? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the story set the tone?
Part 1) How does the usage of the quatrain poem further promote the tone?
Part 2) How does the poem's word choice also promote the tone?
Part 3) The papers are said to be found amongst those of a dead man. How does this promote the tone?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)