|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
2. Van Brunt is known in Sleepy Hollow for being what?
3. What day does the narrator find Sleepy Hollow?
4. What are the animals doing as Ichabod makes his way from his schoolhouse to the Van Tassel home?
5. What is Ichabod invited to do at the Van Tassel's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
2. How does the telling of the ghost stories set up the mood for the story's climax?
3. What is the significance of Brom Bones's horse being named Daredevil?
4. What is one characterization of Ichabod?
5. What was strange about how Ichabod distributed discipline in his school?
6. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
7. What is the purpose of the poem?
8. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
9. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
10. How is the school's location symbolic of Ichabod's relationship with those in Sleepy Hollow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's use of names reveals a lot about the characters. Select a character from the story and describe what his/her name reveals about the character. Use examples from the text to discuss and support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the reader utilize historic life and integrate it into the story? The reader learns about varied aspects of a Hudson River community during the turn of the nineteenth century. What information does the author convey to the reader about this time period?
Part 1) What are the aspects of a school and teachers?
Part 2) How are marriages arranged and conducted?
Part 3) How does church impact the community?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Ichabod's clothing blowing around him? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)