|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the homeowners of Sleepy Hollow hear singing psalms at night?
2. What is one thing Brom Bones does to Ichabod to try to get him to stop seeking Katrina's hand in marriage?
3. What day does the narrator find Sleepy Hollow?
4. What kind of horse is lent to Ichabod?
5. What is one force greater than the Devil that was to be feared?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator refer to Ichabod's desire to win Katrina's hand in marriage a "holy" quest?
2. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
3. What is the point of Gunpowder's frequent stops, starts, and turns to the race Ichabod has with the Headless Horseman?
4. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
5. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
6. Why did some women in the community consider Ichabod a "good catch"?
7. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
8. Why does the narrator refer to Ichabod as a "gawky bird" when seated upon Gunpowder?
9. What is the irony of the farmer's claim that Ichabod was alive and was judging others?
10. What is the purpose of Brom Bones sharing his story of racing against the Headless Horseman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Ichabod's classroom becomes a "battleground." The types of battles the two combatants employ are very different. Compare and contrast the methods both men use to engage in battle for Katrina. Be sure to use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author set the story up so that the reader believes anything can happen? How does he toy with the reader? What phrases and word choices does he use to convey the mystic of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Interpret the meaning of The Headless Horseman's race with Ichabod Crane after the Van Tassel's party. What does this event in the story mean? What purpose does the author hope to serve by presenting the Headless Horseman character in this manner?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)