|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war does the Headless Horseman fight?
2. What are the boys from Sleepy Hollow called?
3. What does Brom's horse say about him?
4. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
5. Where must the Headless Horseman return each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words does the speaker use to convey that there is in fact something magical and mystical about the area? How does this word choice create the mood?
2. What is the significance of Ichabod's singing psalms to quell or calm his fears to the story's ending?
3. How do the descendants of Sleepy Hollow play into the story's atmosphere and mood?
4. Why is Ichabod's appetite for the occult a necessary part of the plot?
5. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
6. Why is Sleepy Hollow considered untouched by time?
7. What does the author imply by using the allusion of the lion and the lamb?
8. What is the purpose of the poem?
9. What examples of Ichabod's character show him as self serving and vain?
10. Why does the narrator compare Ichabod and Brom to demi-gods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used to set up later events in a story. Where does the author use foreshadowing? How is it utilized? Use examples from the text to discuss and support how this use of foreshadowing is effective, or not effective for the story.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author set the story up so that the reader believes anything can happen? How does he toy with the reader? What phrases and word choices does he use to convey the mystic of the story?
Essay Topic 3
In The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, the narrator describes Ichabod as a scarecrow. At the end of the story, a smashed pumpkin is found, but Ichabod has vanished. What is the significance of using the scarecrow and pumpkin for Ichabod? Why did the author want to convey about Ichabod's character?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)