Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Van Brunt known for?
2. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
3. What is the one adjective the author uses to describe Van Brunt?
4. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
5. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
2. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
3. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
4. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
5. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
6. What is the purpose of the poem?
7. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
8. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
9. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
10. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
What is the importance of Ichabod's clothing blowing around him? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
How is Greek Mythology referenced in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Is it used effectively to portray a theme or describe a situation? Why or why not?
How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story? Who was involved and what was the outcome?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)