|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ichabod live for weeks at a time?
2. Where does the Horseman stop pursuits?
3. Which of the following do some residents believe bewitched the area?
4. What is Ichabod invited to do at the Van Tassel's home?
5. What does the author consider to be a quest for Ichabod?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the antics Brom Bones uses to derail Ichabod's efforts to win Katrina illustrate about his character?
2. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
3. How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story?
4. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
5. How do the descendants of Sleepy Hollow play into the story's atmosphere and mood?
6. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
7. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
8. How is the tone the author utilizes to describe Brom's and Ichabod's attempts to win Katrina's hand in marriage comical or humorous?
9. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
10. In what ways is Ichabod Crane an anti-hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the reader utilize historic life and integrate it into the story? The reader learns about varied aspects of a Hudson River community during the turn of the nineteenth century. What information does the author convey to the reader about this time period?
Part 1) What are the aspects of a school and teachers?
Part 2) How are marriages arranged and conducted?
Part 3) How does church impact the community?
Essay Topic 2
Although Ichabod is set up as the protagonist, some modern readers may believe him to be an anti-hero. Do you think he is a protagonist or an anti-hero? Support your response with specific references to the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of a birch tree growing near the school house cabin and why is it ironic? The narrator refers to Ichabod's use of discipline and his type of discipline often allowed the weak to escape but the strong were severely punished.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)