|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character values Katrina more than a pipe?
2. What is one thing Ichabod helps the farmers do?
3. How does Brom Bones want to settle the dispute for Katrina's hand in marriage?
4. Which character's home is "bursting forth with the treasures of the farm"?
5. In what war does the Headless Horseman fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator compare woman to a force greater than the Devil?
2. Why does the story of the Headless Horseman dominate Sleepy Hollow's town's stories and landscape?
3. What is the purpose of the narrator?
4. Why does the narrator compare Katrina Van Tassel to food?
5. What examples of Ichabod's character show him as self serving and vain?
6. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
7. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
8. What is the irony of the farmer's claim that Ichabod was alive and was judging others?
9. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
10. How is the tone the author utilizes to describe Brom's and Ichabod's attempts to win Katrina's hand in marriage comical or humorous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author set the story up so that the reader believes anything can happen? How does he toy with the reader? What phrases and word choices does he use to convey the mystic of the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of Ichabod's eyes being green? Explain how the author uses Ichabod's eye color to reveal aspects of his character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Ichabod's school was described as an eelpot. This is a structure used to keep eels in, making it difficult for them to leave. Why does the author chooses to use snakes and eels to describe Ichabod and his students? Explain the purpose and the tone the author wants to convey and support your response with text.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)