|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which story dominates the conversation between the men the night of the Van Tassel feast?
2. What does Ichabod hope to gain from Katrina?
3. What is the name of the neighboring town described after the poem at the beginning of the story?
4. What does Ichabod use often to discipline students?
5. What is Ichabod invited to do at the Van Tassel's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author describe Ichabod Crane's physical features as that of a bird?
2. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
3. Why does the narrator describe the day he happened upon Sleepy Hollow?
4. Why does Brom always have a smug expression on his face when the story of Ichabod Crane is told?
5. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
6. What is the significance of Ichabod's voracious appetite throughout the story?
7. Why is it ironic that Ichabod's horse is named Gunpowder?
8. How does Ichabod's rejection by Katrina play into his perception of the countryside at "bewitching time" of night?
9. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
10. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the antagonist in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and defend your opinion with details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story? Who was involved and what was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author set the story up so that the reader believes anything can happen? How does he toy with the reader? What phrases and word choices does he use to convey the mystic of the story?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)