|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Ichabod hang out with when not in class?
2. Where does Ichabod live for weeks at a time?
3. What season is it in Sleepy Hollow the night of the Van Tassel event?
4. Which story dominates the conversation between the men the night of the Van Tassel feast?
5. Which character values Katrina more than a pipe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the antics Brom Bones uses to derail Ichabod's efforts to win Katrina illustrate about his character?
2. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
3. What examples of Ichabod's character show him as self serving and vain?
4. How is the school's location symbolic of Ichabod's relationship with those in Sleepy Hollow?
5. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
6. In what ways is Ichabod Crane an anti-hero?
7. How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story?
8. How is the tone the author utilizes to describe Brom's and Ichabod's attempts to win Katrina's hand in marriage comical or humorous?
9. What is the purpose of the poem?
10. Why does the author describe Ichabod Crane's physical features as that of a bird?
Essay Topic 1
How does the reader utilize historic life and integrate it into the story? The reader learns about varied aspects of a Hudson River community during the turn of the nineteenth century. What information does the author convey to the reader about this time period?
Part 1) What are the aspects of a school and teachers?
Part 2) How are marriages arranged and conducted?
Part 3) How does church impact the community?
Essay Topic 2
The author's descriptions of Ichabod Crane, even the usage of his surname, conjures the images of a bird. Why does the author want the reader to see Ichabod as birdlike? Is it because he is flighty? Or does his gossiping with the women in town one of "cawing" like a raven? Describe why and how the author continues to connect Ichabod to a bird and what purpose the author does this.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Ichabod's clothing blowing around him? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)