|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is impressive about the Van Tassel's home?
2. What is Van Brunt known for?
3. What kind of horse is lent to Ichabod?
4. What other topic does Ichabod show great interest in learning?
5. What does the narrator believe about Sleepy Hollow's people and their customs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Ichabod's horse is named Gunpowder?
2. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
3. What is the purpose of the narrator?
4. What examples of Ichabod's character show him as self serving and vain?
5. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
6. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
7. What is the significance of Ichabod's voracious appetite throughout the story?
8. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
9. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
10. What is the purpose of the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story? Who was involved and what was the outcome?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author set the story up so that the reader believes anything can happen? How does he toy with the reader? What phrases and word choices does he use to convey the mystic of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of a birch tree growing near the school house cabin and why is it ironic? The narrator refers to Ichabod's use of discipline and his type of discipline often allowed the weak to escape but the strong were severely punished.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)