Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Van Brunt known for?
2. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
3. What is the one adjective the author uses to describe Van Brunt?
4. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
5. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
2. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
3. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
4. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
5. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
6. What is the purpose of the poem?
7. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
8. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
9. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
10. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
Essay Topic 1
The author's descriptions of Ichabod Crane, even the usage of his surname, conjures the images of a bird. Why does the author want the reader to see Ichabod as birdlike? Is it because he is flighty? Or does his gossiping with the women in town one of "cawing" like a raven? Describe why and how the author continues to connect Ichabod to a bird and what purpose the author does this.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used to set up later events in a story. Where does the author use foreshadowing? How is it utilized? Use examples from the text to discuss and support how this use of foreshadowing is effective, or not effective for the story.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the story set the tone?
Part 1) How does the usage of the quatrain poem further promote the tone?
Part 2) How does the poem's word choice also promote the tone?
Part 3) The papers are said to be found amongst those of a dead man. How does this promote the tone?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)