|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cabin's construction compared to in the story?
2. Where does Ichabod live for weeks at a time?
3. Many men are contenders for Katrina's hand. Which of the following is one of them?
4. Which story dominates the conversation between the men the night of the Van Tassel feast?
5. What does the villagers call Van Brunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator compare Ichabod and Brom to demi-gods?
2. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
3. What is the significance of Ichabod's voracious appetite throughout the story?
4. What is the significance of Ichabod leading others in psalms and proudly standing in church singing?
5. What is the irony of stories being told about Ichabod haunting Sleepy Hollow?
6. Why did some women in the community consider Ichabod a "good catch"?
7. How does the telling of the ghost stories set up the mood for the story's climax?
8. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
9. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
10. How does the author set up the reader to expect anything to happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ichabod and Brom are both competing for Katrina Van Tassels's affection. Compare and contrast how each one tries to win her hand at marriage.
Part 1) Compare how Brom and Ichabod react at the Van Tassel's party to Katrina's flirting.
Part 2) Contrast how Brom and Ichabod behave at the men's meeting after the party.
Essay Topic 2
How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story? Who was involved and what was the outcome?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author set the story up so that the reader believes anything can happen? How does he toy with the reader? What phrases and word choices does he use to convey the mystic of the story?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)