Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Van Brunt known for?
2. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
3. What is the one adjective the author uses to describe Van Brunt?
4. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
5. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
2. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
3. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
4. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
5. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
6. What is the purpose of the poem?
7. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
8. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
9. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
10. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
How is Greek Mythology referenced in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Is it used effectively to portray a theme or describe a situation? Why or why not?
How does the reader utilize historic life and integrate it into the story? The reader learns about varied aspects of a Hudson River community during the turn of the nineteenth century. What information does the author convey to the reader about this time period?
Part 1) What are the aspects of a school and teachers?
Part 2) How are marriages arranged and conducted?
Part 3) How does church impact the community?
What is the symbolism of Ichabod's eyes being green? Explain how the author uses Ichabod's eye color to reveal aspects of his character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)