|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ichabod endear himself to mothers?
2. Where does the Horseman stop pursuits?
3. What is the one thing that causes Ichabod's interest to become a "holy" cause?
4. Where must the Headless Horseman return each day?
5. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
2. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
3. Why is Ichabod's appetite for the occult a necessary part of the plot?
4. What is the irony of the farmer's claim that Ichabod was alive and was judging others?
5. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
6. What is the purpose of the narrator?
7. How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story?
8. What is the purpose of Brom Bones sharing his story of racing against the Headless Horseman?
9. What was strange about how Ichabod distributed discipline in his school?
10. How is the school's location symbolic of Ichabod's relationship with those in Sleepy Hollow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the story set the tone?
Part 1) How does the usage of the quatrain poem further promote the tone?
Part 2) How does the poem's word choice also promote the tone?
Part 3) The papers are said to be found amongst those of a dead man. How does this promote the tone?
Essay Topic 2
The author's descriptions of Ichabod Crane, even the usage of his surname, conjures the images of a bird. Why does the author want the reader to see Ichabod as birdlike? Is it because he is flighty? Or does his gossiping with the women in town one of "cawing" like a raven? Describe why and how the author continues to connect Ichabod to a bird and what purpose the author does this.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Ichabod's clothing blowing around him? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)