|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men discuss immediately after the dancing at the Van Tassel party?
2. What does the author refer to Van Tassel's home as?
3. What is the name of the horse Ichabod is given to ride?
4. What other name is The Headless Horseman called?
5. How does Ichabod endear himself to mothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways does Washington Irving lend credibility to his story?
2. What does the author imply by using the allusion of the lion and the lamb?
3. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
4. How is the tone the author utilizes to describe Brom's and Ichabod's attempts to win Katrina's hand in marriage comical or humorous?
5. What is the significance of Brom Bones's horse being named Daredevil?
6. How do the descendants of Sleepy Hollow play into the story's atmosphere and mood?
7. What is the irony of the farmer's claim that Ichabod was alive and was judging others?
8. Why does Ichabod endear himself to the village's mothers?
9. Why did some women in the community consider Ichabod a "good catch"?
10. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Ichabod is set up as the protagonist, some modern readers may believe him to be an anti-hero. Do you think he is a protagonist or an anti-hero? Support your response with specific references to the text.
Essay Topic 2
The author's descriptions of Ichabod Crane, even the usage of his surname, conjures the images of a bird. Why does the author want the reader to see Ichabod as birdlike? Is it because he is flighty? Or does his gossiping with the women in town one of "cawing" like a raven? Describe why and how the author continues to connect Ichabod to a bird and what purpose the author does this.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the story set the tone?
Part 1) How does the usage of the quatrain poem further promote the tone?
Part 2) How does the poem's word choice also promote the tone?
Part 3) The papers are said to be found amongst those of a dead man. How does this promote the tone?
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)