|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichabod feast his eyes on first when he arrives at the Van Tassel's home?
2. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
3. Where does Ichabod live for weeks at a time?
4. What day does the narrator find Sleepy Hollow?
5. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
2. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
3. Why does the narrator compare Ichabod and Brom to demi-gods?
4. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
5. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
6. What qualifies the tale at the beginning of the story?
7. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
8. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
9. What is unusual about how the characters are introduced in this story versus other short stories and is it effective?
10. What is the significance of Ichabod's singing psalms to quell or calm his fears to the story's ending?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of a birch tree growing near the school house cabin and why is it ironic? The narrator refers to Ichabod's use of discipline and his type of discipline often allowed the weak to escape but the strong were severely punished.
Essay Topic 2
In The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, the narrator describes Ichabod as a scarecrow. At the end of the story, a smashed pumpkin is found, but Ichabod has vanished. What is the significance of using the scarecrow and pumpkin for Ichabod? Why did the author want to convey about Ichabod's character?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used to set up later events in a story. Where does the author use foreshadowing? How is it utilized? Use examples from the text to discuss and support how this use of foreshadowing is effective, or not effective for the story.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)