Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Van Brunt known for?
2. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
3. What is the one adjective the author uses to describe Van Brunt?
4. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
5. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
2. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
3. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
4. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
5. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
6. What is the purpose of the poem?
7. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
8. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
9. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
10. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of Ichabod's eyes being green? Explain how the author uses Ichabod's eye color to reveal aspects of his character. Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The author's use of names reveals a lot about the characters. Select a character from the story and describe what his/her name reveals about the character. Use examples from the text to discuss and support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret the meaning of The Headless Horseman's race with Ichabod Crane after the Van Tassel's party. What does this event in the story mean? What purpose does the author hope to serve by presenting the Headless Horseman character in this manner?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)