|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Several stories speak of sightings and abduction of whom?
2. What other area does Ichabod instruct students?
3. Where is Ichabod originally from?
4. What is one thing Ichabod helps the farmers do?
5. What does the villagers call Van Brunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator refer to Ichabod as a "gawky bird" when seated upon Gunpowder?
2. What qualifies the tale at the beginning of the story?
3. What is the significance of Ichabod's singing psalms to quell or calm his fears to the story's ending?
4. Why does Brom always have a smug expression on his face when the story of Ichabod Crane is told?
5. How does the telling of the ghost stories set up the mood for the story's climax?
6. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
7. Why does the story of the Headless Horseman dominate Sleepy Hollow's town's stories and landscape?
8. Why does Ichabod endear himself to the village's mothers?
9. How is the tone the author utilizes to describe Brom's and Ichabod's attempts to win Katrina's hand in marriage comical or humorous?
10. What does Ichabod's clothing blowing loosely around him symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ichabod's school was described as an eelpot. This is a structure used to keep eels in, making it difficult for them to leave. Why does the author chooses to use snakes and eels to describe Ichabod and his students? Explain the purpose and the tone the author wants to convey and support your response with text.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the story set the tone?
Part 1) How does the usage of the quatrain poem further promote the tone?
Part 2) How does the poem's word choice also promote the tone?
Part 3) The papers are said to be found amongst those of a dead man. How does this promote the tone?
Essay Topic 3
The author's use of names reveals a lot about the characters. Select a character from the story and describe what his/her name reveals about the character. Use examples from the text to discuss and support your answer.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)