|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The disclaimer at the beginning of the tales state the papers belonged to who?
2. What other topic does Ichabod show great interest in learning?
3. What is growing near the schoolhouse?
4. Whom does Ichabod spend most of his evenings with and listen to regional tales of the marvelous and unexplainable?
5. What is the one adjective the author uses to describe Van Brunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was strange about how Ichabod distributed discipline in his school?
2. What is the significance of Ichabod's singing psalms to quell or calm his fears to the story's ending?
3. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
4. How is the school's location symbolic of Ichabod's relationship with those in Sleepy Hollow?
5. What do the antics Brom Bones uses to derail Ichabod's efforts to win Katrina illustrate about his character?
6. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
7. How does Irving contradict himself and tease the reader?
8. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
9. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
10. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the reader utilize historic life and integrate it into the story? The reader learns about varied aspects of a Hudson River community during the turn of the nineteenth century. What information does the author convey to the reader about this time period?
Part 1) What are the aspects of a school and teachers?
Part 2) How are marriages arranged and conducted?
Part 3) How does church impact the community?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of a birch tree growing near the school house cabin and why is it ironic? The narrator refers to Ichabod's use of discipline and his type of discipline often allowed the weak to escape but the strong were severely punished.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of Ichabod's clothing blowing around him? Why is this an important detail about his character? Find descriptions from the text to support your answer and to provide evidence of your opinion.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)