|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of his students does Ichabod discriminately apply discipline?
2. What does Ichabod's horse do when he tries to cross the stream's bridge?
3. What is impressive about the Van Tassel's home?
4. What do Brom Bones and his boys do to the school house furniture?
5. The author says that Van Brunt is always ready for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ichabod's rejection by Katrina play into his perception of the countryside at "bewitching time" of night?
2. Why is the place called Tarry Town?
3. What is the purpose of the poem?
4. How does the telling of the ghost stories set up the mood for the story's climax?
5. What examples of Ichabod's character show him as self serving and vain?
6. What does Ichabod's clothing blowing loosely around him symbolize?
7. What is the purpose of the narrator?
8. How does Irving contradict himself and tease the reader?
9. The narrator compares Ichabod to an anaconda which is able to ingest huge quantities without permanently altering its shape. Why else is Ichabod like a snake?
10. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, the narrator describes Ichabod as a scarecrow. At the end of the story, a smashed pumpkin is found, but Ichabod has vanished. What is the significance of using the scarecrow and pumpkin for Ichabod? Why did the author want to convey about Ichabod's character?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's methods at the beginning of the story set the tone?
Part 1) How does the usage of the quatrain poem further promote the tone?
Part 2) How does the poem's word choice also promote the tone?
Part 3) The papers are said to be found amongst those of a dead man. How does this promote the tone?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used to set up later events in a story. Where does the author use foreshadowing? How is it utilized? Use examples from the text to discuss and support how this use of foreshadowing is effective, or not effective for the story.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)