|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are Ichabod's eyes?
2. According to the legend, how does the Headless Horseman lose his head?
(a) He is beheaded by an ax.
(b) He is beheaded by a sword.
(c) He is beheaded by a cannon.
(d) He is beheaded by a dagger.
3. What is Van Brunt known for?
(a) His hunting skills.
(b) His great strength.
(c) His ability to use a sword.
(d) His great knowledge.
4. How does Brom Bones want to settle the dispute for Katrina's hand in marriage?
(a) With brute force.
(b) With a duel.
(c) With a sword fight.
(d) With a hunting contest.
5. Who is the woman of interest in this tale?
(a) Dutch wife.
(b) Emily Shoemaker.
(c) Katrina Van Tassel.
(d) Kathy Crane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
2. Which character values Katrina more than a pipe?
3. What are the boys from Sleepy Hollow called?
4. What is Ichabod's focus from the moment he visits the Van Tassel's home?
5. What is the one thing that causes Ichabod's interest to become a "holy" cause?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the antics Brom Bones uses to derail Ichabod's efforts to win Katrina illustrate about his character?
2. Why does the author describe Ichabod Crane's physical features as that of a bird?
3. How does Irving contradict himself and tease the reader?
4. What is the point of Gunpowder's frequent stops, starts, and turns to the race Ichabod has with the Headless Horseman?
5. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
6. What does Ichabod's clothing blowing loosely around him symbolize?
7. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
8. Why is the place called Tarry Town?
9. Why does Ichabod endear himself to the village's mothers?
10. What is the significance of Ichabod's voracious appetite throughout the story?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)