|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
(a) A bird.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A bear.
(d) A snake.
2. Where does the Horseman stop pursuits?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The graveyard.
(c) The churchyard.
(d) The bridge.
3. What does the villagers call Van Brunt?
(a) Burly Van Brunt.
(b) Brom Bones.
(c) Heavy hitter.
(d) Brom Brom.
4. What does the author refer to Van Tassel's home as?
(a) A palace.
(b) A home.
(c) An estate.
(d) A castle.
5. In what war does the Headless Horseman fight?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Revoluntionary War.
(d) The French and Indian War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichabod Crane do for a living?
2. What other area does Ichabod instruct students?
3. How many years have passed between the actual story and the narrator's telling of it?
4. What does Ichabod's physical features mimic?
5. What river is Sleepy Hollow beside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of stories being told about Ichabod haunting Sleepy Hollow?
2. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
3. Why does Brom always have a smug expression on his face when the story of Ichabod Crane is told?
4. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
5. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
6. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
7. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
8. Why does the narrator describe the day he happened upon Sleepy Hollow?
9. In what ways does Washington Irving lend credibility to his story?
10. Why does the narrator call Van Tassel's estate a "castle"?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)