|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ichabod's favorite thing to do?
2. What does the author refer to Van Tassel's home as?
(a) A palace.
(b) A castle.
(c) A home.
(d) An estate.
3. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
(a) A bear.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A snake.
(d) A bird.
4. What is the name of Brom Bones's horse?
5. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
(a) At sunset.
(b) At daybreak.
(c) At night.
(d) At midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Brom Bones and his boys do to the school house furniture?
2. What are the boys from Sleepy Hollow called?
3. What does Baltus Van Tassel do to support his family?
4. What are the animals doing as Ichabod makes his way from his schoolhouse to the Van Tassel home?
5. Where does the Horseman stop pursuits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator compare woman to a force greater than the Devil?
2. What is the purpose of the narrator?
3. What was strange about how Ichabod distributed discipline in his school?
4. How does the author set up the reader to expect anything to happen?
5. Why does the narrator compare Katrina Van Tassel to food?
6. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
7. How does Irving contradict himself and tease the reader?
8. Why does the narrator compare Ichabod and Brom to demi-gods?
9. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
10. What examples of Ichabod's character show him as self serving and vain?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)