|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ichabod invited to do at the Van Tassel's home?
(b) Tutor Katrina.
(d) Come to a party.
2. What does Ichabod use often to discipline students?
(a) A belt.
(b) Birch switches.
(c) A rod.
(d) A wooden paddle.
3. Which character's home is "bursting forth with the treasures of the farm"?
(b) Van Tassel's.
4. What does Ichabod do to quell his fears when walking home at night?
(a) Carry a lantern.
(c) Talk to himself.
(d) Sing psalms.
5. What are the boys from Sleepy Hollow called?
(a) Sleepy Hollow Merrimakers.
(b) The Sleepy Hollow Boys.
(c) Hollow Hunters.
(d) Sleepy Skaters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Brom Bones and his boys do to the school house furniture?
2. What does Brom Bones tell the other men he does with the Headless Horseman?
3. What is the narrator doing the day he happens upon Sleepy Hollow?
4. Neighbors usually dismiss the antics and disturbances of whom?
5. What is one thing Ichabod helps the farmers do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
2. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
3. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
4. Why does the author describe Ichabod Crane's physical features as that of a bird?
5. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
6. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
7. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
8. Why is Sleepy Hollow considered untouched by time?
9. What is unusual about how the characters are introduced in this story versus other short stories and is it effective?
10. What is the significance of Brom Bones's horse being named Daredevil?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)