|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Ichabod's imagination, what does natural sights and sounds become as he walked home at night?
(a) Ghosts and phantasms.
(c) His imagination.
2. How many years have passed between the actual story and the narrator's telling of it?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Sixteen years.
3. Who lends Ichabod a horse on the night of the Van Tassel event?
(b) A student's mother.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A neighboring farmer.
4. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
(a) The Neverlands.
5. What is the one thing Katrina is known to do?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the time period of the story?
2. The author says that Van Brunt is always ready for what?
3. Van Brunt is known in Sleepy Hollow for being what?
4. What other topic does Ichabod show great interest in learning?
5. How does the author describe Brom Van Brunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator refer to Ichabod as a "gawky bird" when seated upon Gunpowder?
2. What is the significance of Ichabod leading others in psalms and proudly standing in church singing?
3. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
4. Why does the story of the Headless Horseman dominate Sleepy Hollow's town's stories and landscape?
5. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
6. Why does the narrator describe the day he happened upon Sleepy Hollow?
7. What is the point of Gunpowder's frequent stops, starts, and turns to the race Ichabod has with the Headless Horseman?
8. Why did some women in the community consider Ichabod a "good catch"?
9. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
10. What do the antics Brom Bones uses to derail Ichabod's efforts to win Katrina illustrate about his character?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)