|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river is Sleepy Hollow beside?
(a) The Styxx River.
(b) The New York River.
(c) The Hudson River.
(d) The Mississippi River.
2. What does Ichabod do to the students the evening of the Van Tassel event?
(a) He gives them extra homework.
(b) He disciplines them.
(c) He sends his students home early.
(d) He tutors them.
3. How does the author describe Brom Van Brunt?
(a) Curly blonde hair and skinny shoulders.
(b) Curly dark hair and broad shoulders.
(c) Straight hair and narrow shoulders.
(d) Bald and medium build.
4. Neighbors usually dismiss the antics and disturbances of whom?
(a) Brom Van Brunt.
(c) Ichabod Crane.
(d) Katrina Van Tassel.
5. What does the author compare Ichabod to?
(a) A knight.
(b) A squire.
(c) An explorer.
(d) A soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the church located?
2. What does Ichabod take a long time doing before going to the Van Tassel event?
3. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
4. What does the author refer to Van Tassel's home as?
5. Where does Ichabod live for weeks at a time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the school's location symbolic of Ichabod's relationship with those in Sleepy Hollow?
2. Why is Sleepy Hollow considered untouched by time?
3. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
4. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
5. Why does the narrator refer to Ichabod as a "gawky bird" when seated upon Gunpowder?
6. What is the purpose of the poem?
7. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
8. Why does Ichabod endear himself to the village's mothers?
9. How does Ichabod's rejection by Katrina play into his perception of the countryside at "bewitching time" of night?
10. What is the significance of Brom Bones's horse being named Daredevil?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)