|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brom Bones tell the other men he does with the Headless Horseman?
(a) Race against him on Daredevil.
(b) Stop the Horseman from taking someone's head.
(c) Fight him and escaped.
(d) Find his head for the Horseman.
2. Van Brunt is known in Sleepy Hollow for being what?
(b) Fit and fun.
(c) Hurting others.
3. What does the author compare Ichabod to?
(a) An explorer.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A squire.
(d) A knight.
4. What other area does Ichabod instruct students?
(a) Map making.
5. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the legend, how does the Headless Horseman lose his head?
2. What does Ichabod use often to discipline students?
3. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
4. What is the one thing that causes Ichabod's interest to become a "holy" cause?
5. Whose mouth "...watered as he looed upon this sumptous promise of luxurious winter fare?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Ichabod leading others in psalms and proudly standing in church singing?
2. What does Ichabod's clothing blowing loosely around him symbolize?
3. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
4. Why did some women in the community consider Ichabod a "good catch"?
5. Why does the narrator go into details about how Sleepy Hollow came to be so mythical?
6. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
7. Why does the narrator compare Ichabod and Brom to demi-gods?
8. Why does the narrator compare woman to a force greater than the Devil?
9. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
10. What does the author imply by using the allusion of the lion and the lamb?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)