|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What season is it in Sleepy Hollow the night of the Van Tassel event?
2. What is the one thing that causes Ichabod's interest to become a "holy" cause?
(a) The Van Brunt home.
(b) The Van Tassel's farm.
(c) The Van Tassel's home.
(d) The Van Tassel's livestock.
3. How many years have passed between the actual story and the narrator's telling of it?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Sixteen years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
4. According to the legend, where does the Headless Horseman appear each night?
(a) The fields.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The woods.
(d) The churchyard.
5. What is the narrator doing the day he happens upon Sleepy Hollow?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, this region of Sleepy Hollow "breathed forth" what kind of atmosphere?
2. In what war does the Headless Horseman fight?
3. What does the author consider to be a quest for Ichabod?
4. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
5. What is the time period of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator call Van Tassel's estate a "castle"?
2. Why is it ironic that Ichabod's horse is named Gunpowder?
3. What does the author imply by using the allusion of the lion and the lamb?
4. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
5. Why does Brom always have a smug expression on his face when the story of Ichabod Crane is told?
6. What is the significance of Ichabod's voracious appetite throughout the story?
7. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
8. Why does the story of the Headless Horseman dominate Sleepy Hollow's town's stories and landscape?
9. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
10. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)