|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Katrina Van Tassel?
2. What does Brom Bones tell the other men he does with the Headless Horseman?
(a) Stop the Horseman from taking someone's head.
(b) Fight him and escaped.
(c) Race against him on Daredevil.
(d) Find his head for the Horseman.
3. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
(a) At night.
(b) At sunset.
(c) At midnight.
(d) At daybreak.
4. Where does Ichabod live for weeks at a time?
(a) At the church.
(b) At an inn.
(c) At a castle.
(d) At his students' home.
5. The men's conversation at the party move from one type of stories to what kind of stories?
(a) Love stories.
(b) Ghost stories.
(c) Hunting stories.
(d) Fishing stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ichabod's favorite thing to do?
2. Which character values Katrina more than a pipe?
3. What day does the narrator find Sleepy Hollow?
4. Many men are contenders for Katrina's hand. Which of the following is one of them?
5. What does Ichabod take a long time doing before going to the Van Tassel event?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ichabod's rejection by Katrina play into his perception of the countryside at "bewitching time" of night?
2. Why does Ichabod endear himself to the village's mothers?
3. Why is the place called Tarry Town?
4. Why does the narrator compare woman to a force greater than the Devil?
5. The narrator compares Ichabod to an anaconda which is able to ingest huge quantities without permanently altering its shape. Why else is Ichabod like a snake?
6. What is the significance of Ichabod's voracious appetite throughout the story?
7. What is the irony of stories being told about Ichabod haunting Sleepy Hollow?
8. What is the purpose of the narrator?
9. Why does Brom always have a smug expression on his face when the story of Ichabod Crane is told?
10. Why is it ironic that Ichabod's horse is named Gunpowder?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)