|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Headless Horseman search for in the village each day?
(a) His head.
(b) His gun.
(c) His horse.
(d) His wife.
2. According to the narrator, this region of Sleepy Hollow "breathed forth" what kind of atmosphere?
(a) Dreams and fancies.
3. Which of his students does Ichabod discriminately apply discipline?
(a) The strong children.
(b) The children who don't bring an apple.
(c) The weak children.
(d) The unmotivated students.
4. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
(b) The Neverlands.
5. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
(a) A bird.
(b) A bear.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A snake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the boys from Sleepy Hollow called?
2. In Ichabod's imagination, what does natural sights and sounds become as he walked home at night?
3. What does the author refer to Van Tassel's home as?
4. What is one force greater than the Devil that was to be feared?
5. What is Ichabod's greatest fear of encountering when walking home at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
2. Why is it ironic that Ichabod's horse is named Gunpowder?
3. Why does the narrator call Van Tassel's estate a "castle"?
4. What is the purpose of Brom Bones sharing his story of racing against the Headless Horseman?
5. How was the metaphor of a knight used within this story?
6. What is the purpose of the narrator?
7. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
8. What is one characterization of Ichabod?
9. What is the significance of Ichabod leading others in psalms and proudly standing in church singing?
10. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)