|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Horseman stop pursuits?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) The graveyard.
(c) The churchyard.
(d) The bridge.
2. What do Brom Bones and Ichabod Crane have in common?
(a) They both want to buy a house.
(b) They both want to marry Katrina.
(c) They both hunt.
(d) They both want to defeat the Headless Horseman.
3. What does the author refer to Van Tassel's home as?
(a) A castle.
(b) A home.
(c) An estate.
(d) A palace.
4. Where must the Headless Horseman return each day?
(a) To the place of his death.
(b) To his grave in the cemetery.
(c) To his mother's home.
(d) To his horse.
5. Whom does the homeowners of Sleepy Hollow hear singing psalms at night?
(a) Katrina Van Tassel.
(b) Headless Horseman.
(c) Brom Bones.
(d) Ichabod Crane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichabod hope to gain from Katrina?
2. What does Brom Bones tell the other men he does with the Headless Horseman?
3. Which story dominates the conversation between the men the night of the Van Tassel feast?
4. What other area does Ichabod instruct students?
5. Who does Katrina whirl around and dance with?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
2. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
3. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
4. What words does the speaker use to convey that there is in fact something magical and mystical about the area? How does this word choice create the mood?
5. How is the school's location symbolic of Ichabod's relationship with those in Sleepy Hollow?
6. What examples of Ichabod's character show him as self serving and vain?
7. What was strange about how Ichabod distributed discipline in his school?
8. What is revealed when Ichabod takes notice of the food selections before acknowledging Katrina?
9. How is the tone the author utilizes to describe Brom's and Ichabod's attempts to win Katrina's hand in marriage comical or humorous?
10. Why is Sleepy Hollow considered untouched by time?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)