|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the horse Ichabod is given to ride?
2. What does Brom's horse say about him?
(a) He is Satan.
(b) He is mischievous.
(c) He is a devil.
(d) He takes chances.
3. What day does the narrator find Sleepy Hollow?
4. What does Ichabod's physical features mimic?
(a) A crane.
(b) A giraffe.
(c) An elephant.
(d) A dolphin.
5. What other area does Ichabod instruct students?
(c) Map making.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where must the Headless Horseman return each day?
2. In Ichabod's imagination, what does natural sights and sounds become as he walked home at night?
3. Which of the following do some residents believe bewitched the area?
4. Whom does Ichabod hang out with when not in class?
5. How does Ichabod endear himself to mothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did some women in the community consider Ichabod a "good catch"?
2. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
3. What qualifies the tale at the beginning of the story?
4. Why is Ichabod's appetite for the occult a necessary part of the plot?
5. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
6. Why does the narrator describe the day he happened upon Sleepy Hollow?
7. What is the significance of Ichabod leading others in psalms and proudly standing in church singing?
8. Why is Sleepy Hollow considered untouched by time?
9. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
10. What is one characterization of Ichabod?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)