|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ichabod's favorite thing to do?
2. How does the author describe Brom Van Brunt?
(a) Bald and medium build.
(b) Curly dark hair and broad shoulders.
(c) Curly blonde hair and skinny shoulders.
(d) Straight hair and narrow shoulders.
3. How old is Katrina Van Tassel?
4. What is the time period of the story?
5. Whom does Ichabod spend most of his evenings with and listen to regional tales of the marvelous and unexplainable?
(b) Dutch wives.
(d) Dutch husbands.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, this region of Sleepy Hollow "breathed forth" what kind of atmosphere?
2. In Ichabod's imagination, what does natural sights and sounds become as he walked home at night?
3. What does Ichabod do to the students the evening of the Van Tassel event?
4. Whose mouth "...watered as he looed upon this sumptous promise of luxurious winter fare?"
5. What is Ichabod invited to do at the Van Tassel's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
2. What is the irony of stories being told about Ichabod haunting Sleepy Hollow?
3. Why is Ichabod's one-room school compared to an eelpot?
4. What do the antics Brom Bones uses to derail Ichabod's efforts to win Katrina illustrate about his character?
5. Why is it important that the reader knows the action part of the tale takes place thirty years previous to the time of the telling of the story?
6. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
7. What is the significance of Ichabod's voracious appetite throughout the story?
8. Why is the place called Tarry Town?
9. Why does the narrator call Van Tassel's estate a "castle"?
10. In what ways does Washington Irving lend credibility to his story?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)