|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the church located?
(a) Isolated near a farm.
(b) Isolated and nearby trees were shourd in darkness.
(c) By a river.
(d) In the center of town.
2. What does Ichabod take a long time doing before going to the Van Tassel event?
(a) He washes his horse.
(b) He eats a big meal.
(c) He takes great care in his appearance.
(d) He cuts his hair.
3. Whom does Ichabod hang out with when not in class?
(a) The blacksmith.
(b) His older boy students.
(c) The preacher.
(d) The milkman.
4. What does Ichabod's horse do when he tries to cross the stream's bridge?
(a) The animal resists.
(b) It moves ahead.
(c) It moves backward.
(d) It moves around in circles.
5. Who does Katrina whirl around and dance with?
(a) A teenager.
(b) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author says that Van Brunt is always ready for what?
2. What kind of horse is lent to Ichabod?
3. What do Brom Bones and Ichabod Crane have in common?
4. What is the cabin's construction compared to in the story?
5. What other area does Ichabod instruct students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator compare Ichabod and Brom to demi-gods?
2. What does Ichabod's clothing blowing loosely around him symbolize?
3. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
4. What qualifies the tale at the beginning of the story?
5. Why does the residents' ethnicity matter to the storyline?
6. Why does the narrator refer to Ichabod as a "gawky bird" when seated upon Gunpowder?
7. What is the significance of Ichabod's voracious appetite throughout the story?
8. When the speaker says, "authentic historians of those parts, who have been careful in collecting and collating the floating facts concerning this spectre...", whom are the authentic historians?
9. What is the irony of the farmer's claim that Ichabod was alive and was judging others?
10. Why does the narrator refer to Ichabod's desire to win Katrina's hand in marriage a "holy" quest?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)