|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the horse Ichabod is given to ride?
2. Who is the woman of interest in this tale?
(a) Dutch wife.
(b) Katrina Van Tassel.
(c) Kathy Crane.
(d) Emily Shoemaker.
3. What is the one adjective the author uses to describe Van Brunt?
4. What kind of horse is lent to Ichabod?
(a) A warrior horse.
(b) A plow horse.
(c) A racehorse.
(d) A steed.
5. What is the narrator doing the day he happens upon Sleepy Hollow?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ichabod's focus from the moment he visits the Van Tassel's home?
2. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
3. Where is the church located?
4. According to the legend, where does the Headless Horseman appear each night?
5. What does Ichabod hope to gain from Katrina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author imply by using the allusion of the lion and the lamb?
2. When the men share battle bravery stories, what does Ichabod contribute to the conversation?
3. Why does the narrator call Van Tassel's estate a "castle"?
4. What is the significance of Ichabod leading others in psalms and proudly standing in church singing?
5. What does it say about the residents of Sleepy Hollow that since Ichabod did not have "money nor family," that he was quickly forgotten?
6. What is the irony of stories being told about Ichabod haunting Sleepy Hollow?
7. What words does the speaker use to convey that there is in fact something magical and mystical about the area? How does this word choice create the mood?
8. Why is Sleepy Hollow considered untouched by time?
9. What does the narrator mean when he says the region "breathed forth an atmosphere of dreams and fancies."
10. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)