|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the neighboring town described after the poem at the beginning of the story?
(a) Sleepy Hollow.
(c) Tarry Town.
(d) New York City.
2. What kind of horse is lent to Ichabod?
(a) A plow horse.
(b) A warrior horse.
(c) A steed.
(d) A racehorse.
3. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
4. According to the legend, how does the Headless Horseman lose his head?
(a) He is beheaded by a cannon.
(b) He is beheaded by a sword.
(c) He is beheaded by an ax.
(d) He is beheaded by a dagger.
5. What does Ichabod Crane do for a living?
(a) He's a doctor.
(b) He's a preacher.
(c) He's a mechanic.
(d) He's a school teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Headless Horseman search for in the village each day?
2. Many men are contenders for Katrina's hand. Which of the following is one of them?
3. What does Ichabod's horse do when he tries to cross the stream's bridge?
4. Which of the following do some residents believe bewitched the area?
5. Where is the church located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the church provide a perfect setting for the Headless Horseman stories?
2. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
3. Why does the author describe Ichabod Crane's physical features as that of a bird?
4. What words does the speaker use to convey that there is in fact something magical and mystical about the area? How does this word choice create the mood?
5. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
6. How does Ichabod's rejection by Katrina play into his perception of the countryside at "bewitching time" of night?
7. What is the significance of Ichabod's singing psalms to quell or calm his fears to the story's ending?
8. Why did some women in the community consider Ichabod a "good catch"?
9. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
10. Why does the narrator compare woman to a force greater than the Devil?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)