|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Van Brunt known for?
(a) His great strength.
(b) His hunting skills.
(c) His ability to use a sword.
(d) His great knowledge.
2. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
3. What is the one thing Katrina is known to do?
4. What is Ichabod's real love?
5. What is one force greater than the Devil that was to be feared?
(d) Brom Bones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is impressive about the Van Tassel's home?
2. What other name is The Headless Horseman called?
3. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
4. What does Ichabod do to quell his fears when walking home at night?
5. Which character values Katrina more than a pipe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Ichabod's horse is named Gunpowder?
2. Why does Brom always have a smug expression on his face when the story of Ichabod Crane is told?
3. How does the quatrain poem help establish the tone?
4. How does finding the papers amongst a dead man establish tone?
5. How does Irving contradict himself and tease the reader?
6. What examples of Ichabod's character show him as self serving and vain?
7. How does the author set up the reader to expect anything to happen?
8. What does the author imply by using the allusion of the lion and the lamb?
9. Why does the narrator compare woman to a force greater than the Devil?
10. Why did some women in the community consider Ichabod a "good catch"?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)