|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ichabod's focus from the moment he visits the Van Tassel's home?
(a) To win Katrina's hand in marriage.
(b) To defeat the Headless Horseman.
(c) To steal the Van Tassel's farm.
(d) To sing in front of Katrina.
2. What is Ichabod's greatest fear of encountering when walking home at night?
(a) The rebels.
(d) The Headless Horseman.
3. The disclaimer at the beginning of the tales state the papers belonged to who?
(a) Katrina Van Tassel.
(b) Brom Bones.
(c) Ichabod Crane.
(d) Diedrech Knickerbocker.
4. What is the name of Brom Bones's horse?
5. Who is the woman of interest in this tale?
(a) Emily Shoemaker.
(b) Kathy Crane.
(c) Dutch wife.
(d) Katrina Van Tassel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ichabod's favorite thing to do?
2. Neighbors usually dismiss the antics and disturbances of whom?
3. What is the one thing Katrina is known to do?
4. What is growing near the schoolhouse?
5. What is Ichabod invited to do at the Van Tassel's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ichabod endear himself to the village's mothers?
2. What is the purpose of describing Tarry Town before actually talking about Sleepy Hollow where the story takes place?
3. What is unusual about how the characters are introduced in this story versus other short stories and is it effective?
4. Why does the narrator refer to Ichabod as a "gawky bird" when seated upon Gunpowder?
5. What is the significance of Ichabod leading others in psalms and proudly standing in church singing?
6. How does the storyteller use similes to describe the school and Ichabod's students?
7. Why does the story of the Headless Horseman dominate Sleepy Hollow's town's stories and landscape?
8. How does Ichabod's rejection by Katrina play into his perception of the countryside at "bewitching time" of night?
9. Why is Ichabod's appetite for the occult a necessary part of the plot?
10. What was strange about how Ichabod distributed discipline in his school?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)