|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Brom, the Headless Horseman vanishes in what manner?
(a) In a circle of light.
(b) In a flash of fire.
(c) In a thunderstorm.
(d) In a bolt of lightening.
2. Brom Bones is noted for preferring what kind of animals?
3. How does the narrator describe the farmers at Van Tassel's party?
(a) Good old boys.
(b) A group of well worn men.
(c) Handsome hunks.
(d) As a leather-faced race.
4. Whenever someone speaks of Ichabod Crane, what does Brom do?
(b) Kiss Katrina.
(c) Smile with a smug expression.
(d) Leave the room.
5. What do the people of Sleepy Hollow search for after the Van Tassel's party?
(a) A pumpkin.
(b) Brom's horse.
(c) A saddle.
(d) Ichabod's body.
6. As the narrator tells the events of Van Tassel's party, he refers to himself as what?
(a) Brom's buddy.
(b) Ichabod's historian.
(c) Ichabod's friend.
(d) A fateful observer.
7. What do the villagers believe happened to Ichabod?
(a) The Headless Horseman took him away.
(b) The Headless Horseman took his head.
(c) The Headless Horseman raced him to death.
(d) The Headless Horseman killed him.
8. Whose tales does Ichabod tell to the group of men at the party?
(a) Cotton Mather.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Washington Irving.
(d) Van Ripper.
9. What insect does the narrator compare Ichabod's elbows while mounted on Gunpowder?
(a) A bee.
(b) A fly.
(c) A grasshopper.
(d) An ant.
10. Who is the architect of Ichabod's schoolhouse?
(a) Van Ripper.
(b) Van Brunt.
(c) Ichabod Crane.
(d) Yost Van Houten.
11. A new path leads Ichabod, Gunpowder, and his mysterious rider to what location?
(a) The church.
(b) The schoolhouse.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) A farm.
12. Which demi-god does the narrator compare to Ichabod?
13. Who is missing the day after the Van Tassel's party?
(a) The Headless Horseman.
14. How does the narrator describe the farmers' wives at Van Tassel's party?
(a) Welcomed grande dames.
(b) Withered little dames.
(c) Wives of farmers.
(d) Warm women full of wisdom.
15. What is the tone of the story?
(b) Loving and light.
(c) Dark and somber.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, the papers are found amongst whose belongings?
2. What does Van Ripper do with Ichabod's belongings?
3. When is the story published?
4. What item of Ichabod's is found the day after the Van Tassel's party near horse tracks?
5. What does Ichabod do when his is frightened?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)