|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the farmers at Van Tassel's party?
(a) As a leather-faced race.
(b) A group of well worn men.
(c) Good old boys.
(d) Handsome hunks.
2. When Ichabod reaches the road to Sleepy Hollow, what does Gunpowder do?
(a) Resist and stop.
(b) Resist and buck.
(c) Resist and made another turn.
(d) Resist and whine.
3. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's students' voices at the schoolhouse to?
(a) The hum of a beehive.
(b) The growling of dogs.
(c) The whimpering of puppies.
(d) The roaring of lions.
4. What does the narrator say lies in Gunpowder's good eye?
(a) The devil.
5. What type of melody does Ichabod produce?
6. What prize did Brom say he and the Headless Horseman race for?
(a) A sword.
(b) A sack of money.
(c) A bowl of punch.
(d) Katrina's head.
7. How is Ichabod able to spread gossip?
(a) By sending notes home with students.
(b) By boarding from house to house.
(c) By spending time with women on Sunday.
(d) By sending letters.
8. What destination does Ichabod hope to reach as he races from his pursuer?
(a) The church.
(b) The bridge.
(c) The farm.
(d) The cemetery.
9. At the beginning of the story, the papers are found amongst whose belongings?
(a) A letter to the court.
(b) Ichabod Crane's belongings.
(c) Van Tassel's will.
(d) A dead man.
10. Whom does the schoolhouse and its furniture belong?
(a) Van Tassel.
(b) The community.
(c) Van Ripper.
11. What animal does the narrator compare to Ichabod's appetite?
(a) An anaconda.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A bird.
(d) An elephant.
12. Who founded Sleepy Hollow?
(a) Master Hendrick Hudson.
(b) Master Andrew Van Brunt.
(c) Master Henry Van Ripper.
(d) Master Edward Van Tassel.
13. Where is Ichabod's 'realm'?
(a) His farm.
(b) His horse.
(c) The church.
(d) His schoolhouse.
14. What does a visiting farmer bring news of years later, after Ichabod's disappearance from Sleepy Hollow?
(a) That Ichabod plans to return to Sleepy Hollow.
(b) That Ichabod Crane is alive and well.
(c) That Ichabod lives in a neighboring town.
(d) That Ichabod's body has been found.
15. Who is missing the day after the Van Tassel's party?
(c) The Headless Horseman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ichabod try to get Gunpowder to do as they gallop away from the dark figure?
2. The narrator refers to Ichabod as a what?
3. What success does the old farmer from New York state about Ichabod?
4. As he and Gunpowder head home, who does Ichabod believe the rider on the dark horse alongside him to be?
5. What happens to Ichabod's heart as he eats at the Van Tassel's party?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)