|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Wiley's swamp?
(a) A marshy, thick-wooden glen.
(b) A pretend playground for children.
(c) An area outside of Sleepy Hollow.
(d) A tavern.
2. What destination does Ichabod hope to reach as he races from his pursuer?
(a) The farm.
(b) The church.
(c) The bridge.
(d) The cemetery.
3. Who do the old country women believe haunt the area?
(b) Van Ripper.
4. According to Brom, the Headless Horseman vanishes in what manner?
(a) In a circle of light.
(b) In a bolt of lightening.
(c) In a flash of fire.
(d) In a thunderstorm.
5. What object towers like a giant above all the neighborhood trees outside of Sleepy Hollow?
(a) A lighthouse.
(b) A farmhouse.
(c) A watchtower.
(d) A tulip tree.
6. When Ichabod reaches the road to Sleepy Hollow, what does Gunpowder do?
(a) Resist and buck.
(b) Resist and stop.
(c) Resist and made another turn.
(d) Resist and whine.
7. What do the villagers believe happened to Ichabod?
(a) The Headless Horseman took his head.
(b) The Headless Horseman raced him to death.
(c) The Headless Horseman took him away.
(d) The Headless Horseman killed him.
8. As the narrator tells the events of Van Tassel's party, he refers to himself as what?
(a) Ichabod's friend.
(b) A fateful observer.
(c) Ichabod's historian.
(d) Brom's buddy.
9. Which demi-god does the narrator compare to Ichabod?
10. What success does the old farmer from New York state about Ichabod?
(a) That he hasn't seen him.
(b) That he is justice of the Ten Pound Court.
(c) That Ichabod teaches at a university.
(d) That Ichabod marries a wealthy woman.
11. According to Old Brouwer, what happens to the Headless Horseman?
(a) He captures his head.
(b) He turns into a skeleton.
(c) He disappears.
(d) He turns into a pumpkin.
12. How does the narrator describe the farmers' wives at Van Tassel's party?
(a) Welcomed grande dames.
(b) Withered little dames.
(c) Wives of farmers.
(d) Warm women full of wisdom.
13. As Ichabod moves from one farmer's family to the next, where are his possessions?
(a) In a barn.
(b) In a suitcase.
(c) Tied in a cotton handkerchief.
(d) In a barrel.
14. A new path leads Ichabod, Gunpowder, and his mysterious rider to what location?
(a) A farm.
(b) The schoolhouse.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The church.
15. What else does Ichabod pride himself on besides his singing?
(a) His dancing.
(b) His poetry.
(c) His writing.
(d) His clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow?
2. What is the tone of the story?
3. Why do women consider Ichabod valuable?
4. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's pliability and perseverance to?
5. What is the real name of Tarry Town?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)