|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator say lies in Gunpowder's good eye?
(a) The devil.
2. Who founded the area around Sleepy Hollow?
(a) The Dutch.
(b) The Spanish.
(c) The French.
(d) The British.
3. What does Ichabod do when his is frightened?
(a) He shouts.
(b) He prays.
(c) He eats.
(d) He sings.
4. What is one thing Ichabod does with the ladies between service on Sunday?
(a) Write notes.
(b) Sing songs.
(c) Gather grapes.
5. After much discussion, what do many of the townspeople believe?
(a) That Ichabod runs out of town.
(b) That Ichabod leaves under a cloak of darkness.
(c) That Ichabod vanishes into thin air.
(d) Ichabod has been carried off by the Galloping Headless Horseman.
6. What does Ichabod try to get Gunpowder to do as they gallop away from the dark figure?
(a) He tries to sell him.
(b) He tries to spur him on.
(c) He tries to fed him.
(d) He tries to return him.
7. Where does the women in white haunt?
(a) Raven Rock.
(b) The great tree.
(c) The church.
(d) The cemetery.
8. Who has assembled to watch Ichabod and Katrina dance?
(a) Brom Bones.
(b) Bultrus Van Tassel.
(c) Van Ripper.
(d) Servants from the farms.
9. What prize did Brom say he and the Headless Horseman race for?
(a) Katrina's head.
(b) A sack of money.
(c) A bowl of punch.
(d) A sword.
10. What else does Ichabod pride himself on besides his singing?
(a) His poetry.
(b) His dancing.
(c) His writing.
(d) His clothing.
11. Who is Gunpowder's owner?
(a) Van Tassel.
(b) Van Ripper.
12. Who founded Sleepy Hollow?
(a) Master Henry Van Ripper.
(b) Master Andrew Van Brunt.
(c) Master Edward Van Tassel.
(d) Master Hendrick Hudson.
13. What does Katrina say to Ichabod after the party?
(a) She accepts his offer for marriage.
(b) She rejects his offer for marriage.
(c) She wants to think about it.
(d) The narrator does not know.
14. What type of man is Ichabod Crane?
15. What do some in Sleepy Hollow believe happened to Ichabod?
(a) He is embarrassed over losing the rich Katrina.
(b) He is thrilled to live in a neighboring town.
(c) He is happy living in New York.
(d) He is scared to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Brom's tale of the Hessian, what town has he returned from?
2. Who do the old country women believe haunt the area?
3. As Ichabod moves from one farmer's family to the next, where are his possessions?
4. When Ichabod reaches the road to Sleepy Hollow, what does Gunpowder do?
5. What do the country people hear haunting through the village?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)