|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the large blue-beard Dutchman?
(a) Van Ripper.
(c) Van Tassel.
(d) Doffue Martling.
2. What does the narrator likens Brom's attempts at courting to?
(a) To the clawing of a wolverine.
(b) To the cawing of a crow.
(c) To the gentle caresses of a sword.
(d) To the gentle caresses of a bear.
3. What is Wiley's swamp?
(a) An area outside of Sleepy Hollow.
(b) A tavern.
(c) A pretend playground for children.
(d) A marshy, thick-wooden glen.
4. At the beginning of the story, the papers are found amongst whose belongings?
(a) Van Tassel's will.
(b) A letter to the court.
(c) Ichabod Crane's belongings.
(d) A dead man.
5. What is the name of Katrina's mother?
(a) Bultrus Van Tassel.
(b) Mabel Van Tassel.
(c) Mynheer Van Tassel.
(d) Selena Van Tassel.
6. What do the people of Sleepy Hollow search for after the Van Tassel's party?
(a) A saddle.
(b) A pumpkin.
(c) Ichabod's body.
(d) Brom's horse.
7. What does Ichabod do when his is frightened?
(a) He shouts.
(b) He sings.
(c) He eats.
(d) He prays.
8. What do the country people hear haunting through the village?
(d) Ichabod melodious psalms.
9. According to Brom, the Headless Horseman vanishes in what manner?
(a) In a bolt of lightening.
(b) In a circle of light.
(c) In a flash of fire.
(d) In a thunderstorm.
10. After much discussion, what do many of the townspeople believe?
(a) Ichabod has been carried off by the Galloping Headless Horseman.
(b) That Ichabod vanishes into thin air.
(c) That Ichabod runs out of town.
(d) That Ichabod leaves under a cloak of darkness.
11. What does Ichabod do to the horse when it behaves badly?
(a) Whip the horse.
(b) Get a new horse.
(c) Get off the horse.
(d) Yell at the horse.
12. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's students' voices at the schoolhouse to?
(a) The roaring of lions.
(b) The whimpering of puppies.
(c) The hum of a beehive.
(d) The growling of dogs.
13. The narrator refers to Ichabod as a what?
14. As he and Gunpowder head home, who does Ichabod believe the rider on the dark horse alongside him to be?
(a) The Headless Horseman.
(d) A ghost.
15. What type of melody does Ichabod produce?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whenever someone speaks of Ichabod Crane, what does Brom do?
2. Who do the old country women believe haunt the area?
3. Brom Bones is noted for preferring what kind of animals?
4. What is the real name of Tarry Town?
5. What does Ichabod do between services on Sunday?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)