|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the architect of Ichabod's schoolhouse?
(a) Van Brunt.
(b) Van Ripper.
(c) Yost Van Houten.
(d) Ichabod Crane.
2. According to the narrator, what is Ichabod very good at doing?
(a) Getting what he wants.
(c) Protecting Sleepy Hollow.
(d) Helping out with difficult tasks.
3. What is the name of Katrina's mother?
(a) Mabel Van Tassel.
(b) Selena Van Tassel.
(c) Bultrus Van Tassel.
(d) Mynheer Van Tassel.
4. As Ichabod moves from one farmer's family to the next, where are his possessions?
(a) In a suitcase.
(b) In a barn.
(c) Tied in a cotton handkerchief.
(d) In a barrel.
5. What type of man is Ichabod Crane?
6. What prize did Brom say he and the Headless Horseman race for?
(a) A sack of money.
(b) A bowl of punch.
(c) A sword.
(d) Katrina's head.
7. What does a visiting farmer bring news of years later, after Ichabod's disappearance from Sleepy Hollow?
(a) That Ichabod lives in a neighboring town.
(b) That Ichabod plans to return to Sleepy Hollow.
(c) That Ichabod Crane is alive and well.
(d) That Ichabod's body has been found.
8. What animal does the narrator compare to Ichabod's appetite?
(a) An anaconda.
(b) A bird.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) An elephant.
9. How is Ichabod able to spread gossip?
(a) By boarding from house to house.
(b) By sending letters.
(c) By sending notes home with students.
(d) By spending time with women on Sunday.
10. What do the country people hear haunting through the village?
(d) Ichabod melodious psalms.
11. Who is the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow?
(b) The Headless Horseman.
(c) Wailing women.
(d) The ghost.
12. When is the story published?
13. What object towers like a giant above all the neighborhood trees outside of Sleepy Hollow?
(a) A lighthouse.
(b) A tulip tree.
(c) A farmhouse.
(d) A watchtower.
14. Which demi-god does the narrator compare to Ichabod?
15. What time of night does Ichabod leave the Van Tassel's?
(c) Early morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Brom, the Headless Horseman vanishes in what manner?
2. Whom does the schoolhouse and its furniture belong?
3. What does Ichabod do to the horse when it behaves badly?
4. What does the narrator say lies in Gunpowder's good eye?
5. As Ichabod reaches the bridge, what item does the dark rider throw at him to knock him to the ground?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)