|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the architect of Ichabod's schoolhouse?
(a) Ichabod Crane.
(b) Van Ripper.
(c) Van Brunt.
(d) Yost Van Houten.
2. As the narrator tells the events of Van Tassel's party, he refers to himself as what?
(a) Ichabod's historian.
(b) Brom's buddy.
(c) Ichabod's friend.
(d) A fateful observer.
3. What is another term for courting as defined by the Dutch?
4. What do the villagers believe happened to Ichabod?
(a) The Headless Horseman killed him.
(b) The Headless Horseman took his head.
(c) The Headless Horseman raced him to death.
(d) The Headless Horseman took him away.
5. Who is Gunpowder's owner?
(b) Van Tassel.
(c) Van Ripper.
6. As Ichabod reaches the bridge, what item does the dark rider throw at him to knock him to the ground?
(a) A letter.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A head.
(d) A ball.
7. What do the country people hear haunting through the village?
(c) Ichabod melodious psalms.
8. What kind of life do many townspeople believe Ichabod had?
9. Which demi-god does the narrator compare Brom?
10. Whenever someone speaks of Ichabod Crane, what does Brom do?
(a) Kiss Katrina.
(b) Smile with a smug expression.
(d) Leave the room.
11. What does the narrator say lies in Gunpowder's good eye?
(c) The devil.
12. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's students' voices at the schoolhouse to?
(a) The growling of dogs.
(b) The roaring of lions.
(c) The whimpering of puppies.
(d) The hum of a beehive.
13. According to Old Brouwer, what happens to the Headless Horseman?
(a) He turns into a skeleton.
(b) He captures his head.
(c) He disappears.
(d) He turns into a pumpkin.
14. What time of night does Ichabod leave the Van Tassel's?
(a) Early morning.
15. What does a visiting farmer bring news of years later, after Ichabod's disappearance from Sleepy Hollow?
(a) That Ichabod Crane is alive and well.
(b) That Ichabod lives in a neighboring town.
(c) That Ichabod plans to return to Sleepy Hollow.
(d) That Ichabod's body has been found.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose tales does Ichabod tell to the group of men at the party?
2. Who is the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow?
3. What is the tone of the story?
4. What does Ichabod do between services on Sunday?
5. What does Ichabod see at the end of the bridge?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)