|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ichabod believes he will be safe from the Headless Horseman if he makes it to where?
(a) The church.
(b) The farmhouse.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The bridge.
2. Whose tales does Ichabod tell to the group of men at the party?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Van Ripper.
(c) Washington Irving.
(d) Cotton Mather.
3. Where is Sleepy Hollow located?
(a) New York.
4. As Ichabod moves from one farmer's family to the next, where are his possessions?
(a) In a suitcase.
(b) In a barn.
(c) Tied in a cotton handkerchief.
(d) In a barrel.
5. How does the narrator describe the farmers' wives at Van Tassel's party?
(a) Warm women full of wisdom.
(b) Wives of farmers.
(c) Welcomed grande dames.
(d) Withered little dames.
6. The narrator refers to Ichabod as a what?
7. How does the narrator describe the farmers at Van Tassel's party?
(a) Handsome hunks.
(b) As a leather-faced race.
(c) A group of well worn men.
(d) Good old boys.
8. What does Van Ripper do with Ichabod's belongings?
(a) Sold them.
(b) Gave them away.
(c) Disposed of them.
(d) Returned them.
9. According to Old Brouwer, what happens to the Headless Horseman?
(a) He disappears.
(b) He turns into a skeleton.
(c) He captures his head.
(d) He turns into a pumpkin.
10. As the narrator tells the events of Van Tassel's party, he refers to himself as what?
(a) Ichabod's historian.
(b) Brom's buddy.
(c) Ichabod's friend.
(d) A fateful observer.
11. A new path leads Ichabod, Gunpowder, and his mysterious rider to what location?
(a) A farm.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The schoolhouse.
(d) The church.
12. What does Ichabod do between services on Sunday?
(a) Cook food.
(b) Visit with the available women.
(c) Sing with the parson.
(d) Read the Bible.
13. What is Wiley's swamp?
(a) A pretend playground for children.
(b) A tavern.
(c) An area outside of Sleepy Hollow.
(d) A marshy, thick-wooden glen.
14. What is the real name of Tarry Town?
(b) Sleepy Hollow.
(d) Tarry Towne.
15. What prize did Brom say he and the Headless Horseman race for?
(a) A sack of money.
(b) A bowl of punch.
(c) A sword.
(d) Katrina's head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of night does Ichabod leave the Van Tassel's?
2. What is so tempting about the Van Tassel's farm to Ichabod?
3. What do the villagers believe happened to Ichabod?
4. Who is the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow?
5. What else does Ichabod pride himself on besides his singing?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)