|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is Ichabod very good at doing?
(a) Protecting Sleepy Hollow.
(b) Getting what he wants.
(c) Helping out with difficult tasks.
2. How does the narrator describe the farmers at Van Tassel's party?
(a) As a leather-faced race.
(b) A group of well worn men.
(c) Good old boys.
(d) Handsome hunks.
3. What do the people of Sleepy Hollow search for after the Van Tassel's party?
(a) Ichabod's body.
(b) A pumpkin.
(c) Brom's horse.
(d) A saddle.
4. Who founded Sleepy Hollow?
(a) Master Henry Van Ripper.
(b) Master Hendrick Hudson.
(c) Master Edward Van Tassel.
(d) Master Andrew Van Brunt.
5. What is another term for courting as defined by the Dutch?
6. Who does Katrina marry?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A visiting farmer.
(d) Van Ripper.
7. Whenever someone speaks of Ichabod Crane, what does Brom do?
(b) Smile with a smug expression.
(c) Leave the room.
(d) Kiss Katrina.
8. Why do women consider Ichabod valuable?
(a) He sings well.
(b) He takes care of their little children.
(c) He gossips.
(d) He cooks.
9. What landmark is named after Major Andre?
(a) A road.
(b) A brook.
(c) A tulip tree.
(d) A bridge.
10. Which demi-god does the narrator compare to Ichabod?
11. Whose tales does Ichabod tell to the group of men at the party?
(a) Washington Irving.
(b) Van Ripper.
(c) George Washington.
(d) Cotton Mather.
12. As he and Gunpowder head home, who does Ichabod believe the rider on the dark horse alongside him to be?
(b) The Headless Horseman.
(d) A ghost.
13. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's pliability and perseverance to?
(a) A thick rope.
(b) A birch tree.
(c) A wilting flower.
(d) A supple jack.
14. What does Ichabod do between services on Sunday?
(a) Visit with the available women.
(b) Cook food.
(c) Sing with the parson.
(d) Read the Bible.
15. According to Brom, the Headless Horseman vanishes in what manner?
(a) In a flash of fire.
(b) In a bolt of lightening.
(c) In a circle of light.
(d) In a thunderstorm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what cover does Ichabod pursue Katrina?
2. Which demi-god does the narrator compare Brom?
3. As Ichabod reaches the bridge, what item does the dark rider throw at him to knock him to the ground?
4. Who is the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow?
5. What does the narrator likens Brom's attempts at courting to?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)