|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the story, the papers are found amongst whose belongings?
(a) Ichabod Crane's belongings.
(b) Van Tassel's will.
(c) A letter to the court.
(d) A dead man.
2. How is Ichabod able to spread gossip?
(a) By boarding from house to house.
(b) By spending time with women on Sunday.
(c) By sending letters.
(d) By sending notes home with students.
3. Old Baltus Van Tassel is what kind of farmer?
4. According to the narrator, what is Ichabod very good at doing?
(a) Protecting Sleepy Hollow.
(c) Helping out with difficult tasks.
(d) Getting what he wants.
5. According to Old Brouwer, what happens to the Headless Horseman?
(a) He turns into a skeleton.
(b) He disappears.
(c) He turns into a pumpkin.
(d) He captures his head.
6. What kind of life do many townspeople believe Ichabod had?
7. What does Ichabod see at the end of the bridge?
(c) A large figure.
(d) Brom Bones.
8. The narrator states that Ichabod's feet serve as what?
9. What happens to Ichabod's heart as he eats at the Van Tassel's party?
(a) It beats faster at the idea of eating more food.
(b) His heart dilates in proportion to his good cheer.
(c) It grows larger with hunger.
(d) It grows small with jealousy.
10. What is one thing Ichabod does with the ladies between service on Sunday?
(a) Sing songs.
(c) Write notes.
(d) Gather grapes.
11. What is Gunpowder found doing the day after the Van Tassel's party?
12. As Ichabod moves from one farmer's family to the next, where are his possessions?
(a) In a barrel.
(b) In a suitcase.
(c) Tied in a cotton handkerchief.
(d) In a barn.
13. What do some in Sleepy Hollow believe happened to Ichabod?
(a) He is embarrassed over losing the rich Katrina.
(b) He is happy living in New York.
(c) He is thrilled to live in a neighboring town.
(d) He is scared to death.
14. In Brom's tale of the Hessian, what town has he returned from?
(a) New York.
(b) Tarry Town.
(c) Hudson Village.
(d) Sing Sing.
15. Who does Katrina marry?
(a) Van Ripper.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A visiting farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prize did Brom say he and the Headless Horseman race for?
2. As the narrator tells the events of Van Tassel's party, he refers to himself as what?
3. Why do women consider Ichabod valuable?
4. Where is Sleepy Hollow located?
5. What is the musician at the Van Tassel's party?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)