|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ichabod meets the dark figure, what does he do?
(a) He turns and goes the opposite way.
(b) He whips Gunpowder.
(c) He trots toward the rider.
(d) He demands to know the rider's identity.
2. What else does Ichabod pride himself on besides his singing?
(a) His dancing.
(b) His clothing.
(c) His poetry.
(d) His writing.
3. Who do the old country women believe haunt the area?
(d) Van Ripper.
4. Who has assembled to watch Ichabod and Katrina dance?
(a) Brom Bones.
(b) Bultrus Van Tassel.
(c) Servants from the farms.
(d) Van Ripper.
5. What does Ichabod see at the end of the bridge?
(a) A large figure.
(c) Brom Bones.
6. How does the narrator describe the farmers at Van Tassel's party?
(a) Good old boys.
(b) As a leather-faced race.
(c) A group of well worn men.
(d) Handsome hunks.
7. A new path leads Ichabod, Gunpowder, and his mysterious rider to what location?
(a) The schoolhouse.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The church.
(d) A farm.
8. What animal does the narrator compare to Ichabod's appetite?
(a) An anaconda.
(b) A bird.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) An elephant.
9. Which demi-god does the narrator compare to Ichabod?
10. What is the tone of the story?
(b) Dark and somber.
(d) Loving and light.
11. To those in Sleepy Hollow, Brom Van Burnt is considered to be a ______.
12. What is Wiley's swamp?
(a) An area outside of Sleepy Hollow.
(b) A pretend playground for children.
(c) A tavern.
(d) A marshy, thick-wooden glen.
13. What is Gunpowder found doing the day after the Van Tassel's party?
14. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's students' voices at the schoolhouse to?
(a) The hum of a beehive.
(b) The roaring of lions.
(c) The growling of dogs.
(d) The whimpering of puppies.
15. Who is missing the day after the Van Tassel's party?
(b) The Headless Horseman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the women in white haunt?
2. What does Ichabod do to the horse when it behaves badly?
3. What type of melody does Ichabod produce?
4. Who is the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow?
5. What knocks Ichabod from his horse and into the ground?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)