|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Brom, the Headless Horseman vanishes in what manner?
(a) In a circle of light.
(b) In a flash of fire.
(c) In a bolt of lightening.
(d) In a thunderstorm.
2. What animal does the narrator compare to Ichabod's appetite?
(a) An anaconda.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A bird.
(d) A rabbit.
3. What does a visiting farmer bring news of years later, after Ichabod's disappearance from Sleepy Hollow?
(a) That Ichabod's body has been found.
(b) That Ichabod lives in a neighboring town.
(c) That Ichabod Crane is alive and well.
(d) That Ichabod plans to return to Sleepy Hollow.
4. Where is Sleepy Hollow located?
(c) New York.
5. What do the country people hear haunting through the village?
(d) Ichabod melodious psalms.
6. Under what cover does Ichabod pursue Katrina?
(a) As a lover of food.
(b) As a gossiper.
(c) As her music teacher.
(d) As a visiting farmer.
7. Who is the favorite spectre of Sleepy Hollow?
(a) Wailing women.
(c) The Headless Horseman.
(d) The ghost.
8. Who is Gunpowder's owner?
(c) Van Ripper.
(d) Van Tassel.
9. How does the narrator describe the farmers' wives at Van Tassel's party?
(a) Withered little dames.
(b) Warm women full of wisdom.
(c) Wives of farmers.
(d) Welcomed grande dames.
10. As Ichabod reaches the bridge, what item does the dark rider throw at him to knock him to the ground?
(a) A letter.
(b) A head.
(c) A ball.
(d) A dagger.
11. What do the villagers believe happened to Ichabod?
(a) The Headless Horseman took him away.
(b) The Headless Horseman raced him to death.
(c) The Headless Horseman killed him.
(d) The Headless Horseman took his head.
12. Brom Bones is noted for preferring what kind of animals?
13. What is Wiley's swamp?
(a) A marshy, thick-wooden glen.
(b) A pretend playground for children.
(c) A tavern.
(d) An area outside of Sleepy Hollow.
14. As the narrator tells the events of Van Tassel's party, he refers to himself as what?
(a) Ichabod's historian.
(b) Brom's buddy.
(c) Ichabod's friend.
(d) A fateful observer.
15. Whose tales does Ichabod tell to the group of men at the party?
(a) Cotton Mather.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Van Ripper.
(d) Washington Irving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the musician at the Van Tassel's party?
2. When is the story published?
3. Whenever someone speaks of Ichabod Crane, what does Brom do?
4. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's students' voices at the schoolhouse to?
5. To those in Sleepy Hollow, Brom Van Burnt is considered to be a ______.
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)