|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Ichabod moves from one farmer's family to the next, where are his possessions?
(a) Tied in a cotton handkerchief.
(b) In a suitcase.
(c) In a barn.
(d) In a barrel.
2. What does Ichabod do to the horse when it behaves badly?
(a) Get off the horse.
(b) Yell at the horse.
(c) Get a new horse.
(d) Whip the horse.
3. What does the narrator compare Ichabod's pliability and perseverance to?
(a) A birch tree.
(b) A thick rope.
(c) A wilting flower.
(d) A supple jack.
4. What is Wiley's swamp?
(a) A pretend playground for children.
(b) An area outside of Sleepy Hollow.
(c) A tavern.
(d) A marshy, thick-wooden glen.
5. The narrator refers to Ichabod as a what?
6. A new path leads Ichabod, Gunpowder, and his mysterious rider to what location?
(a) A farm.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The church.
(d) The schoolhouse.
7. Which demi-god does the narrator compare Brom?
8. What does Ichabod try to get Gunpowder to do as they gallop away from the dark figure?
(a) He tries to sell him.
(b) He tries to return him.
(c) He tries to fed him.
(d) He tries to spur him on.
9. What is the real name of Tarry Town?
(c) Sleepy Hollow.
(d) Tarry Towne.
10. Who is missing the day after the Van Tassel's party?
(a) The Headless Horseman.
11. At the beginning of the story, the papers are found amongst whose belongings?
(a) A dead man.
(b) Van Tassel's will.
(c) Ichabod Crane's belongings.
(d) A letter to the court.
12. In Brom's tale of the Hessian, what town has he returned from?
(a) Hudson Village.
(b) New York.
(c) Tarry Town.
(d) Sing Sing.
13. What item of Ichabod's is found the day after the Van Tassel's party near horse tracks?
(a) His school papers.
(b) His hat.
(c) His purse.
(d) His Bible.
14. What type of man is Ichabod Crane?
15. When is the story published?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the schoolhouse and its furniture belong?
2. Who founded Sleepy Hollow?
3. What is the tone of the story?
4. What is another term for courting as defined by the Dutch?
5. Under what cover does Ichabod pursue Katrina?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)