|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author says that Van Brunt is always ready for what?
2. What is the name of the neighboring town described after the poem at the beginning of the story?
(a) Tarry Town.
(c) New York City.
(d) Sleepy Hollow.
3. What does the author consider to be a quest for Ichabod?
(a) Breaking the school house's cabin.
(b) Winning Katrina's hand in marriage.
(c) Winning the right to sing in front of the church.
(d) Defeating the Headless Horseman.
4. How many years have passed between the actual story and the narrator's telling of it?
(a) Sixteen years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Five years.
5. What is one thing Brom Bones does to Ichabod to try to get him to stop seeking Katrina's hand in marriage?
(a) Beat him up.
(b) Smoke out the school house.
(c) Smash the school house door.
(d) Post a threatening letter.
6. What does the narrator believe about Sleepy Hollow's people and their customs?
(a) They are full of modernization.
(b) They are fun.
(c) They do not change.
(d) Their customs evolve over time.
7. What does Ichabod's physical features mimic?
(a) A crane.
(b) A giraffe.
(c) A dolphin.
(d) An elephant.
8. What is the cabin's construction compared to in the story?
(a) A home.
(b) An eelpot.
(c) A slippery slope.
(d) A crooked cabin.
9. Where must the Headless Horseman return each day?
(a) To his horse.
(b) To the place of his death.
(c) To his mother's home.
(d) To his grave in the cemetery.
10. Which of the following do some residents believe bewitched the area?
(a) A German doctor.
(b) A sorcerer.
(c) A witch.
(d) A French ghost.
11. What is one force greater than the Devil that was to be feared?
(c) Brom Bones.
12. What is Ichabod's real love?
13. What other area does Ichabod instruct students?
(d) Map making.
14. What do the men discuss immediately after the dancing at the Van Tassel party?
(a) They swap hunting stories.
(b) They share battle bravery.
(c) They share beers.
(d) They smoke pipes together.
15. Neighbors usually dismiss the antics and disturbances of whom?
(a) Brom Van Brunt.
(b) Katrina Van Tassel.
(c) Ichabod Crane.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ichabod invited to do at the Van Tassel's home?
2. Van Brunt is known in Sleepy Hollow for being what?
3. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
4. What color are Ichabod's eyes?
5. What does Ichabod hope to gain from Katrina?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)