|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator believe about Sleepy Hollow's people and their customs?
(a) They are full of modernization.
(b) They are fun.
(c) Their customs evolve over time.
(d) They do not change.
2. Van Brunt is known in Sleepy Hollow for being what?
(a) Hurting others.
(d) Fit and fun.
3. Whom does Ichabod spend most of his evenings with and listen to regional tales of the marvelous and unexplainable?
(a) Dutch wives.
(c) Dutch husbands.
4. What does Ichabod use often to discipline students?
(a) A belt.
(b) A wooden paddle.
(c) Birch switches.
(d) A rod.
5. Who is the woman of interest in this tale?
(a) Kathy Crane.
(b) Emily Shoemaker.
(c) Dutch wife.
(d) Katrina Van Tassel.
6. What does the Headless Horseman search for in the village each day?
(a) His head.
(b) His gun.
(c) His wife.
(d) His horse.
7. The author says that Van Brunt is always ready for what?
8. What is the narrator doing the day he happens upon Sleepy Hollow?
9. According to the legend, how does the Headless Horseman lose his head?
(a) He is beheaded by an ax.
(b) He is beheaded by a sword.
(c) He is beheaded by a dagger.
(d) He is beheaded by a cannon.
10. What does the author compare Ichabod to?
(a) A squire.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A knight.
(d) An explorer.
11. What does Ichabod hope to gain from Katrina?
(a) Marriage and a new home.
(b) Marriage and wealth.
(c) Marriage and limitless food.
(d) Marriage and lots of children.
12. Neighbors usually dismiss the antics and disturbances of whom?
(b) Ichabod Crane.
(c) Katrina Van Tassel.
(d) Brom Van Brunt.
13. What day does the narrator find Sleepy Hollow?
14. What is Van Brunt known for?
(a) His hunting skills.
(b) His great knowledge.
(c) His ability to use a sword.
(d) His great strength.
15. Where is Ichabod originally from?
(b) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mouth "...watered as he looed upon this sumptous promise of luxurious winter fare?"
2. What is the name of Brom Bones's horse?
3. What does Brom's horse say about him?
4. What does Ichabod take a long time doing before going to the Van Tassel event?
5. What is one thing Ichabod helps the farmers do?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)