|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, this region of Sleepy Hollow "breathed forth" what kind of atmosphere?
(a) Dreams and fancies.
2. What is the cabin's construction compared to in the story?
(a) A home.
(b) A slippery slope.
(c) A crooked cabin.
(d) An eelpot.
3. Who lends Ichabod a horse on the night of the Van Tassel event?
(a) A student's mother.
(c) A soldier.
(d) A neighboring farmer.
4. Neighbors usually dismiss the antics and disturbances of whom?
(a) Ichabod Crane.
(b) Brom Van Brunt.
(d) Katrina Van Tassel.
5. What does the Headless Horseman search for in the village each day?
(a) His gun.
(b) His head.
(c) His wife.
(d) His horse.
6. What other name is The Headless Horseman called?
(a) Galloping Giant.
(b) Headless Rider.
(c) Galloping Hessian.
(d) Headless Harry.
7. What does Ichabod's physical features mimic?
(a) A dolphin.
(b) A giraffe.
(c) A crane.
(d) An elephant.
8. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
(a) At night.
(b) At daybreak.
(c) At sunset.
(d) At midnight.
9. In Ichabod's imagination, what does natural sights and sounds become as he walked home at night?
(b) His imagination.
(c) Ghosts and phantasms.
10. Where does Ichabod live for weeks at a time?
(a) At an inn.
(b) At his students' home.
(c) At a castle.
(d) At the church.
11. What color are Ichabod's eyes?
12. What do Brom Bones and his boys do to the school house furniture?
(a) Burn it.
(b) Move it around.
(c) Take it out of the school.
(d) Sell it.
13. What does Ichabod use often to discipline students?
(a) A belt.
(b) Birch switches.
(c) A rod.
(d) A wooden paddle.
14. Who does Katrina whirl around and dance with?
(a) A teenager.
(b) Her father.
15. Which of his students does Ichabod discriminately apply discipline?
(a) The weak children.
(b) The children who don't bring an apple.
(c) The strong children.
(d) The unmotivated students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Brom Bones's horse?
2. What does Ichabod's horse do when he tries to cross the stream's bridge?
3. What does Ichabod do to the students the evening of the Van Tassel event?
4. Whom does the homeowners of Sleepy Hollow hear singing psalms at night?
5. What is Ichabod's greatest fear of encountering when walking home at night?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)