|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river is Sleepy Hollow beside?
(a) The Styxx River.
(b) The Hudson River.
(c) The Mississippi River.
(d) The New York River.
2. Whom does the homeowners of Sleepy Hollow hear singing psalms at night?
(a) Brom Bones.
(b) Katrina Van Tassel.
(c) Ichabod Crane.
(d) Headless Horseman.
3. What do Brom Bones and Ichabod Crane have in common?
(a) They both want to defeat the Headless Horseman.
(b) They both want to buy a house.
(c) They both hunt.
(d) They both want to marry Katrina.
4. What color are Ichabod's eyes?
5. What is Ichabod's real love?
6. Which story dominates the conversation between the men the night of the Van Tassel feast?
(a) The legend of the Headless Horseman.
(b) The story of the Hollow's ancestors.
(c) The story of the Revolutionary War.
(d) The story of the first Dutch settlers.
7. What is the name of the neighboring town described after the poem at the beginning of the story?
(b) Tarry Town.
(c) Sleepy Hollow.
(d) New York City.
8. What day does the narrator find Sleepy Hollow?
9. What does Brom Bones tell the other men he does with the Headless Horseman?
(a) Race against him on Daredevil.
(b) Find his head for the Horseman.
(c) Stop the Horseman from taking someone's head.
(d) Fight him and escaped.
10. What is the one thing that causes Ichabod's interest to become a "holy" cause?
(a) The Van Tassel's farm.
(b) The Van Tassel's livestock.
(c) The Van Tassel's home.
(d) The Van Brunt home.
11. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
(a) A snake.
(b) A bird.
(c) A tiger.
(d) A bear.
12. What does Ichabod do to the students the evening of the Van Tassel event?
(a) He tutors them.
(b) He gives them extra homework.
(c) He disciplines them.
(d) He sends his students home early.
13. What is Van Brunt known for?
(a) His great strength.
(b) His great knowledge.
(c) His ability to use a sword.
(d) His hunting skills.
14. What is the horse known to do when around a horse of the opposite sex?
(a) Fall asleep.
(c) Gallop slowly.
(d) Quickly discharge.
15. What does Ichabod take a long time doing before going to the Van Tassel event?
(a) He eats a big meal.
(b) He washes his horse.
(c) He takes great care in his appearance.
(d) He cuts his hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other area does Ichabod instruct students?
2. What does the author consider to be a quest for Ichabod?
3. What is Ichabod's focus from the moment he visits the Van Tassel's home?
4. What other topic does Ichabod show great interest in learning?
5. What is the cabin's construction compared to in the story?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)