|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what war does the Headless Horseman fight?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Revoluntionary War.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The French and Indian War.
2. What is the one thing Katrina is known to do?
3. What other topic does Ichabod show great interest in learning?
(a) The geography of New York State.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The facts about Sleepy Hollow.
(d) The occult.
4. What is one thing Ichabod helps the farmers do?
(a) Cut wood.
(b) Sing songs.
(c) Bale hay.
(d) Load wagons.
5. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
(a) At sunset.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At night.
(d) At daybreak.
6. According to the legend, how does the Headless Horseman lose his head?
(a) He is beheaded by a cannon.
(b) He is beheaded by a sword.
(c) He is beheaded by a dagger.
(d) He is beheaded by an ax.
7. The men's conversation at the party move from one type of stories to what kind of stories?
(a) Fishing stories.
(b) Hunting stories.
(c) Love stories.
(d) Ghost stories.
8. What is the name of the neighboring town described after the poem at the beginning of the story?
(a) Tarry Town.
(b) Sleepy Hollow.
(c) New York City.
9. Neighbors usually dismiss the antics and disturbances of whom?
(a) Brom Van Brunt.
(b) Katrina Van Tassel.
(c) Ichabod Crane.
10. According to the narrator, this region of Sleepy Hollow "breathed forth" what kind of atmosphere?
(b) Dreams and fancies.
11. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A bear.
(c) A bird.
(d) A snake.
12. What is impressive about the Van Tassel's home?
(a) It has been built by slaves.
(b) It has expensive furnishings and ornaments.
(c) It is historic.
(d) It has electricity.
13. Where does the Horseman stop pursuits?
(a) The graveyard.
(b) The churchyard.
(c) The cemetery.
(d) The bridge.
14. Many men are contenders for Katrina's hand. Which of the following is one of them?
(a) Brom Van Brunt.
(b) Headless Horseman.
(c) A farmer.
(d) A doctor.
15. Which character values Katrina more than a pipe?
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Katrina Van Tassel?
2. What does Ichabod feast his eyes on first when he arrives at the Van Tassel's home?
3. What do the men discuss immediately after the dancing at the Van Tassel party?
4. What does Ichabod use often to discipline students?
5. In Ichabod's imagination, what does natural sights and sounds become as he walked home at night?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)