|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the horse Ichabod is given to ride?
2. According to the legend, how does the Headless Horseman lose his head?
(a) He is beheaded by a cannon.
(b) He is beheaded by a sword.
(c) He is beheaded by an ax.
(d) He is beheaded by a dagger.
3. Whose mouth "...watered as he looed upon this sumptous promise of luxurious winter fare?"
4. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
(a) A snake.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A bird.
(d) A bear.
5. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
(a) At night.
(b) At daybreak.
(c) At midnight.
(d) At sunset.
6. Who lends Ichabod a horse on the night of the Van Tassel event?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A neighboring farmer.
(d) A student's mother.
7. The disclaimer at the beginning of the tales state the papers belonged to who?
(a) Ichabod Crane.
(b) Katrina Van Tassel.
(c) Diedrech Knickerbocker.
(d) Brom Bones.
8. What is the time period of the story?
9. Many men are contenders for Katrina's hand. Which of the following is one of them?
(a) A doctor.
(b) Headless Horseman.
(c) A farmer.
(d) Brom Van Brunt.
10. What is Ichabod's favorite thing to do?
11. Which of his students does Ichabod discriminately apply discipline?
(a) The strong children.
(b) The unmotivated students.
(c) The children who don't bring an apple.
(d) The weak children.
12. What is the one thing Katrina is known to do?
13. What does Brom Bones tell the other men he does with the Headless Horseman?
(a) Fight him and escaped.
(b) Race against him on Daredevil.
(c) Stop the Horseman from taking someone's head.
(d) Find his head for the Horseman.
14. How does Brom Bones want to settle the dispute for Katrina's hand in marriage?
(a) With a duel.
(b) With a sword fight.
(c) With a hunting contest.
(d) With brute force.
15. What is the name of the neighboring town described after the poem at the beginning of the story?
(a) Sleepy Hollow.
(c) New York City.
(d) Tarry Town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character's home is "bursting forth with the treasures of the farm"?
2. How many years have passed between the actual story and the narrator's telling of it?
3. Where does Ichabod live for weeks at a time?
4. What does Ichabod feast his eyes on first when he arrives at the Van Tassel's home?
5. What do the men discuss immediately after the dancing at the Van Tassel party?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)