|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ichabod Crane do for a living?
(a) He's a preacher.
(b) He's a doctor.
(c) He's a school teacher.
(d) He's a mechanic.
2. Whose mouth "...watered as he looed upon this sumptous promise of luxurious winter fare?"
3. What does Brom Bones tell the other men he does with the Headless Horseman?
(a) Find his head for the Horseman.
(b) Fight him and escaped.
(c) Race against him on Daredevil.
(d) Stop the Horseman from taking someone's head.
4. What is the cabin's construction compared to in the story?
(a) An eelpot.
(b) A crooked cabin.
(c) A home.
(d) A slippery slope.
5. What animal does Ichabod resemble as he sits astride the horse with his angled limbs protruding awkwardly?
(a) A bear.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A bird.
(d) A snake.
6. When does the Headless Horseman make his runs through the village?
(a) At midnight.
(b) At night.
(c) At daybreak.
(d) At sunset.
7. What kind of horse is lent to Ichabod?
(a) A racehorse.
(b) A warrior horse.
(c) A steed.
(d) A plow horse.
8. What does the author compare Ichabod to?
(a) An explorer.
(b) A knight.
(c) A squire.
(d) A soldier.
9. What do the men discuss immediately after the dancing at the Van Tassel party?
(a) They share battle bravery.
(b) They smoke pipes together.
(c) They swap hunting stories.
(d) They share beers.
10. According to the narrator, this region of Sleepy Hollow "breathed forth" what kind of atmosphere?
(b) Dreams and fancies.
11. What is growing near the schoolhouse?
(a) A garden.
(b) An oak tree.
(d) A birch tree.
12. Who does Katrina whirl around and dance with?
(b) A teenager.
(c) Her father.
13. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
(c) The Neverlands.
14. How does Ichabod endear himself to mothers?
(a) By tending to their small children.
(b) By teaching their children.
(c) By singing to their children.
(d) By disciplining their children.
15. What is the time period of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lends Ichabod a horse on the night of the Van Tassel event?
2. What is one force greater than the Devil that was to be feared?
3. Whom does the homeowners of Sleepy Hollow hear singing psalms at night?
4. What season is it in Sleepy Hollow the night of the Van Tassel event?
5. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)