|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author refer to Van Tassel's home as?
(a) A castle.
(b) An estate.
(c) A home.
(d) A palace.
2. What other topic does Ichabod show great interest in learning?
(a) The facts about Sleepy Hollow.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The geography of New York State.
(d) The occult.
3. What is growing near the schoolhouse?
(a) An oak tree.
(c) A birch tree.
(d) A garden.
4. What is the name of Brom Bones's horse?
5. What country are the descendants of Sleepy Hollow from?
(c) The Neverlands.
6. Which story dominates the conversation between the men the night of the Van Tassel feast?
(a) The story of the Revolutionary War.
(b) The legend of the Headless Horseman.
(c) The story of the first Dutch settlers.
(d) The story of the Hollow's ancestors.
7. According to the legend, where does the Headless Horseman appear each night?
(a) The fields.
(b) The cemetery.
(c) The woods.
(d) The churchyard.
8. What does Ichabod Crane do for a living?
(a) He's a mechanic.
(b) He's a school teacher.
(c) He's a preacher.
(d) He's a doctor.
9. What does Ichabod use often to discipline students?
(a) A belt.
(b) A wooden paddle.
(c) A rod.
(d) Birch switches.
10. What does the villagers call Van Brunt?
(a) Brom Bones.
(b) Burly Van Brunt.
(c) Heavy hitter.
(d) Brom Brom.
11. What does Brom Bones's dog do when Ichabod sings?
12. Whom does the homeowners of Sleepy Hollow hear singing psalms at night?
(a) Headless Horseman.
(b) Ichabod Crane.
(c) Brom Bones.
(d) Katrina Van Tassel.
13. What does Brom's horse say about him?
(a) He takes chances.
(b) He is Satan.
(c) He is a devil.
(d) He is mischievous.
14. The author says that Van Brunt is always ready for what?
15. According to the legend, how does the Headless Horseman lose his head?
(a) He is beheaded by an ax.
(b) He is beheaded by a dagger.
(c) He is beheaded by a cannon.
(d) He is beheaded by a sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men discuss immediately after the dancing at the Van Tassel party?
2. What is the name of the neighboring town described after the poem at the beginning of the story?
3. How does Brom Bones want to settle the dispute for Katrina's hand in marriage?
4. The disclaimer at the beginning of the tales state the papers belonged to who?
5. What is Ichabod's real love?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)