|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was buried near where Lear is in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. What does Lear beg the son not to do in Act 2, Scene 7?
3. Who speaks the last lines in the play?
4. To whom does Lear say, "Don't ask them for favours. Walk with us. Be gentle and don't pull," in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. Who does Lear ask to lead him on a journey in Act 3, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Edward Bond's childhood and world events influenced his writing and particularly that of Lear. How does his theme reflect his social and political beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary motif in Lear? What is the definition of the term "motif"? How does Bond employ this motif as a means to further illustrate his theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the production history of Bond's Lear. How has it been received by the public? What characteristics of the play make it controversial? Why?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)