|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Junior Officer in the last scene?
2. Who accompanies the soldiers in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. Who says, "You have two enemies, lies and the truth. You sacrifice truth to destroy lies, and you sacrifice life to destroy death. It isn't sane"?
4. What does Lear tell Bodice he has done to Fontanelle in the cell?
5. What is one of the main themes of Lear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Fontanelle's execution and subsequent on-stage autopsy contribute to the play? What change comes about because of this scene? Do you agree or disagree with the choice to put this scene on stage? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Epic Theater. What elements of Bond's Lear are characteristic of Epic Theater? What ideals does Bond share with Brecht? How does the style of Lear reflect this?
Essay Topic 3
Lear makes a reference in Act 3 to Christ on the cross, which contains a certain irony in that Lear eventually finds himself in a similar place to that in which Christ found himself - executed by those in authority as an example to others who would think and believe and act independently. What are other Biblical references in Lear? How can Lear (and others) be compared to Biblical figures?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)