|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lear want to live for at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
2. For whom are the soldiers looking in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. For whom does Lear call when he's being led by the soldiers?
4. What do the soldiers contemplate doing in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. Who was buried near where Lear is in Act 3, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Edward Bond's Lear and Shakespeare's Lear. Why did Bond choose to adapt and essentially rewrite elements of Shakespeare's play? What elements of action and character did he alter? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the climax of Lear? How does this climax reflect both the actions in the play and the thematic climax? What has been sacrificed?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lear and the Ghost. How are these characters similar? How are they different? What is ironic about their friendship?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)