|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story about that Lear tells in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Who says, "I came here when I was cold and hungry and afraid. I wasn't turned away, and I won't turn anyone away"?
3. What does Cordelia ask of Lear in Act 3?
4. What does Lear kneel by in Act 2, Scene 7?
5. What happened to Lear before leaving the prison cell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Edward Bond's Lear and Shakespeare's Lear. Why did Bond choose to adapt and essentially rewrite elements of Shakespeare's play? What elements of action and character did he alter? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What does Fontanelle's execution and subsequent on-stage autopsy contribute to the play? What change comes about because of this scene? Do you agree or disagree with the choice to put this scene on stage? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define the terms "action" and "objective." What are the overarching actions and objectives of Bodice and Fontanelle? How do these actions connect to the plot of the play?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)