|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What historical event shaped Edward Bond's writing?
2. Who offers to go infiltrate the camps and gain support against the crown in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What sound startles the soldiers in Act 2, Scene 5?
4. Where has Lear been taken from in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. Who says, "I came here when I was cold and hungry and afraid. I wasn't turned away, and I won't turn anyone away"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Bond uses Imagery in Lear to further illustrate his theme and characters. What are some examples from the play? Define the term "imagery" in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "foreshadowing." What are examples of foreshadowing in Bond's Lear? What is the purpose of his use of foreshadowing? Does it create tension? Does it set up irony? Does it reflect the theme?
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of the traditional tragic hero? What characteristics does Lear embody that make him the tragic hero of the play?
This section contains 194 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)