|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the soldiers studying in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Who says, "I came here when I was cold and hungry and afraid. I wasn't turned away, and I won't turn anyone away"?
3. Why doesn't Thomas want the others to stay at the house?
4. What does Lear ask of Cornelia in Act 3?
5. Which character says, "For as long as I can remember there was misery and waste and suffering wherever you were. You live in your own mad world, you can't hear me"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the Ghost? What purpose does this character have in the play? How does he relate to Lear? How does this character compare with Warrington?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Edward Bond's Lear and Shakespeare's Lear. Why did Bond choose to adapt and essentially rewrite elements of Shakespeare's play? What elements of action and character did he alter? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Bond uses Imagery in Lear to further illustrate his theme and characters. What are some examples from the play? Define the term "imagery" in your answer.
This section contains 222 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)