|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "I have lived with murderers and thugs, there are limits to their greed and violence, but you decent, honest men devour the earth"?
2. Which character says, "If God made the world, might would always be right, that would be so wise, we'd be spared so much suffering. But we made the world--out of our smallness and weakness"?
3. What does Lear do in the last scene of the play?
4. Who says, "But if you listened to everything your conscience told you you'd go mad. You'd never get anything done--and there's a lot to do, some of it very hard"?
5. What do the soldiers contemplate doing in Act 2, Scene 5?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Epic Theater. What elements of Bond's Lear are characteristic of Epic Theater? What ideals does Bond share with Brecht? How does the style of Lear reflect this?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "foreshadowing." What are examples of foreshadowing in Bond's Lear? What is the purpose of his use of foreshadowing? Does it create tension? Does it set up irony? Does it reflect the theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Lear and his daughters. How are their actions similar? How are they different? How are their motivations related?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)