|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is gagged in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Where is the farmer's boy going?
3. Who leads Susan back into the house at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
4. What does the Junior Officer do to Lear in the last scene?
5. Which character says, "For as long as I can remember there was misery and waste and suffering wherever you were. You live in your own mad world, you can't hear me"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Edward Bond's childhood and world events influenced his writing and particularly that of Lear. How does his theme reflect his social and political beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the irony that is evident in Lear. What different forms of irony does Bond employ in the play? Define the terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Define the term "foreshadowing." What are examples of foreshadowing in Bond's Lear? What is the purpose of his use of foreshadowing? Does it create tension? Does it set up irony? Does it reflect the theme?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)