|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story about that Lear tells in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Where does the Ghost promise to lead Lear after leaving the prison?
3. What does Lear ask of Cornelia in Act 3?
4. Whom do the soldiers come to take away in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. What does Cordelia ask of Lear in Act 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lear makes a reference in Act 3 to Christ on the cross, which contains a certain irony in that Lear eventually finds himself in a similar place to that in which Christ found himself - executed by those in authority as an example to others who would think and believe and act independently. What are other Biblical references in Lear? How can Lear (and others) be compared to Biblical figures?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Edward Bond's Lear and Shakespeare's Lear. Why did Bond choose to adapt and essentially rewrite elements of Shakespeare's play? What elements of action and character did he alter? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary motif in Lear? What is the definition of the term "motif"? How does Bond employ this motif as a means to further illustrate his theme?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)