|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lear tell Bodice he has done to Fontanelle in the cell?
2. What do the soldiers tell the Small Man will be done to him in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Where does Act 3, Scene 3 take place?
4. What historical event shaped Edward Bond's writing?
5. What role does Lear play in the play?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Edward Bond's childhood and world events influenced his writing and particularly that of Lear. How does his theme reflect his social and political beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Epic Theater. What elements of Bond's Lear are characteristic of Epic Theater? What ideals does Bond share with Brecht? How does the style of Lear reflect this?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term "foreshadowing." What are examples of foreshadowing in Bond's Lear? What is the purpose of his use of foreshadowing? Does it create tension? Does it set up irony? Does it reflect the theme?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)