|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to convince Susan to leave with him?
2. Who says, "Men destroy themselves and say it's their duty? It's not possible"?
3. Who wrote the original <i>King Lear</i> upon which Bond based his play?
4. What does Thomas say to the villagers after Lear has kicked them all out?
5. What are the soldiers studying in Act 2, Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the irony that is evident in Lear. What different forms of irony does Bond employ in the play? Define the terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the climax of Lear? How does this climax reflect both the actions in the play and the thematic climax? What has been sacrificed?
Essay Topic 3
Lear makes a reference in Act 3 to Christ on the cross, which contains a certain irony in that Lear eventually finds himself in a similar place to that in which Christ found himself - executed by those in authority as an example to others who would think and believe and act independently. What are other Biblical references in Lear? How can Lear (and others) be compared to Biblical figures?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)