|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fontanelle die?
(a) She is hanged.
(b) She is poisoned.
(c) She is beheaded.
(d) She is shot.
2. Who offers to help Lear escape the prison?
(a) The Ghost.
3. What does Cordelia ask of Lear in Act 3?
(a) To leave the country.
(b) To hand over the stowaways.
(c) To free the pigs.
(d) To stop speaking against the government.
4. What happened to Lear before leaving the prison cell?
(a) His eyes were removed.
(b) His arm was severed.
(c) He was scalded.
(d) His tongue was cut out.
5. Who does Carpenter tell Fontanelle has been captured?
(d) The Ghost.
6. Who leads Susan back into the house at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
7. What are the soldiers studying in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) A ravine.
(b) A dead soldier.
(c) A map.
(d) A canyon.
8. Who is gagged in Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) The Gravedigger's Boy.
9. What does Fontanelle beg of Lear in Act 2?
(a) To kill her.
(b) To reason with the soldiers to let them free.
(c) To kill himself.
(d) To let her be Queen.
10. What does Lear do in the last scene of the play?
(a) Chases away the pigs.
(b) Shoots Cordelia.
(c) Attempts to dig up the wall.
(d) Hangs himself.
11. Which character says, "If God made the world, might would always be right, that would be so wise, we'd be spared so much suffering. But we made the world--out of our smallness and weakness"?
(b) The Ghost.
12. Where does Act 3, Scene 4 take place?
(a) At the grave.
(b) At the castle.
(c) At the wall.
(d) At the battle field.
13. What has Cordelia ordered Lear to stop doing?
(a) Fighting the rebels.
(b) Arresting soldiers.
(c) Feeding the poor.
(d) Speaking publicly.
14. Who kills the Ghost?
(b) The pigs.
15. For whom does Lear call when he's being led by the soldiers?
(c) The Ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "You have two enemies, lies and the truth. You sacrifice truth to destroy lies, and you sacrifice life to destroy death. It isn't sane"?
2. Which character says, "For as long as I can remember there was misery and waste and suffering wherever you were. You live in your own mad world, you can't hear me"?
3. Who says, "I tried to follow you but when we got out in the open the wind was too strong, it pushed me back"?
4. Whom do the soldiers come to take away in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. Who is leading Lear in Act 3, Scene 4?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)