|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cordelia ask of Lear in Act 3?
(a) To stop speaking against the government.
(b) To leave the country.
(c) To hand over the stowaways.
(d) To free the pigs.
2. How much time passes between Act 3, Scene 1 and Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) One year.
(b) One day.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Several months.
3. What happened to Lear before leaving the prison cell?
(a) His arm was severed.
(b) His eyes were removed.
(c) His tongue was cut out.
(d) He was scalded.
4. Who was buried near where Lear is in Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) Thomas and John.
(b) Susan and Thomas.
(c) Bodice and Fontanelle.
(d) Warrington and the Gravedigger's Boy.
5. Who is McFearson?
(a) The Gravedigger Boy's son.
(b) The Small Man.
(c) Cordelia's husband.
(d) Lear's son.
6. Which character says, "For as long as I can remember there was misery and waste and suffering wherever you were. You live in your own mad world, you can't hear me"?
(a) The Ghost.
7. Who arrives after the soldiers leave in Act 3 Scene 1?
8. Who says, "I came here when I was cold and hungry and afraid. I wasn't turned away, and I won't turn anyone away"?
(a) The Small Man.
9. Why doesn't Thomas want the others to stay at the house?
(a) They are soldiers.
(b) They'll be persecuted.
(c) They are spies.
(d) They are dangerous.
10. Whom do the soldiers come to take away in Act 3, Scene 2?
(b) Cordelia and the Gravedigger's Boy.
(c) Ben and the Small Man.
11. What year was <i>Lear</i> written?
12. What is one of Lear's greatest flaws?
(c) Self righteousness.
13. How does Fontanelle die?
(a) She is beheaded.
(b) She is poisoned.
(c) She is hanged.
(d) She is shot.
14. Who arrives asking for water in Act 3, Scene 1?
(b) The Small Man.
15. Who says, "But if you listened to everything your conscience told you you'd go mad. You'd never get anything done--and there's a lot to do, some of it very hard"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads Susan back into the house at the end of Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Which character says, "If God made the world, might would always be right, that would be so wise, we'd be spared so much suffering. But we made the world--out of our smallness and weakness"?
3. Who offers to help Lear escape the prison?
4. Who is brought in with a rebel soldier in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. What does the Junior Officer do to Lear in the last scene?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)