|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who advises the king to refuse the war?
(d) The Captain.
2. Who says, "We won't chain ourselves to the dead, or send our children to school in the graveyard"?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Cornwall suggest be done with Lear?
(a) Banish him.
(b) Free him.
(c) Put him in prison.
(d) Execute him.
4. How does Lear order the workman killed in Act 1, Scene 1?
(b) Firing squad.
5. Who spots Lear and creeps up on him from behind in Act 1, Scene 5?
6. Who is planning to marry the Duke of North?
7. What does Fontanelle complain about in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Her feet are wet.
(b) She doesn't approve of the wall.
(c) Her hands are cold.
(d) She is hungry.
8. Which character says, "Virility! It'd be easier to get blood out of a stone, and far more probable. I've bribed a major on his staff to shoot him in the battle"?
9. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A parade ground.
(b) A prison.
(c) A church.
(d) A battle field.
10. What does Lear ask of Fontanelle while in the prison cell?
(a) To sing to him.
(b) To sit on his lap.
(c) To let him brush her hair.
(d) To kiss him goodbye.
11. What job does the Wife give the Carpenter to do?
(a) Tending the pigs.
(b) Mending the door.
(c) Cleaning the well.
(d) Tending Lear.
12. Who does Lear claim are his enemies?
(a) Duke of South and Duke Willingshead.
(b) Duke of North and Duke of Ireland.
(c) Duke of Cornwall and Duke of North.
(d) Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Stonewall.
13. Which character says, "Politics is the higher form of justice"?
14. Who enters with a wooden box in Act 1, Scene 7?
(c) The Carpenter.
(d) The Gravedigger's Boy.
15. How does Lear respond to the judge when asked, "And these ladies are your daughters?"?
(a) I loved them.
(d) They betrayed me.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has been captured in Act 1, Scene 4?
2. Who foretells how Lear's army will attack in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, who claims to have proof that the "enemies" Lear speaks of are not actually enemies?
4. What is Bodice doing at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What is the Carpenter's name?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)