|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the wife of the Gravedigger's Boy?
2. Who has died at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The Gravedigger's Boy.
(c) A workman.
3. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
4. Who says, "We won't chain ourselves to the dead, or send our children to school in the graveyard"?
5. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A wild bear.
6. Whom does Lear accuse of betraying him in court?
(d) Old Sailor.
7. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A church.
(b) A battle field.
(c) A parade ground.
(d) A prison.
8. What does the Wounded Soldier see before he dies onstage?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The moon.
(c) His wife.
(d) The stars.
9. Who is the first to sit on the witness stand at Lear's trial?
10. Who does Lear claim are his enemies?
(a) Duke of Cornwall and Duke of North.
(b) Duke of North and Duke of Ireland.
(c) Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Stonewall.
(d) Duke of South and Duke Willingshead.
11. Who has been captured in Act 1, Scene 4?
(d) The Gravedigger's Boy.
12. What does Lear recognize in the well bucket?
(a) A baby.
(d) A dagger.
13. How does Lear respond to the judge when asked, "And these ladies are your daughters?"?
(b) They betrayed me.
(d) I loved them.
14. Why do the soldiers enter Lear's prison cell in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) To beat him.
(b) To search it.
(c) To take his daughters away.
(d) To take him to the tower.
15. Who asks to stay with Lear in his cell?
(b) The Orderly.
(c) The Ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fontanelle say posed for her husband's portraits?
2. Who says, "To fight like us you must hate. We can't trust a man unless he hates"?
3. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
4. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
5. Why does the Boy say his wife is upset?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)