|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "We won't chain ourselves to the dead, or send our children to school in the graveyard"?
2. Which character says, "O don't waste your hypocrisy on me. You tried to kill yours once. My spies told me and they don't lie. They're the only moral institution in this country"?
3. Why does the Boy say his wife is upset?
(a) She's pregnant.
(b) She's crazy.
(c) She was raped.
(d) She's been tortured.
4. Whom does Lear ask for while in the prison cell?
(c) His daughters.
(d) The Gravedigger's Boy.
5. What does Lear ask of Fontanelle while in the prison cell?
(a) To kiss him goodbye.
(b) To let him brush her hair.
(c) To sit on his lap.
(d) To sing to him.
6. Which character says, "Virility! It'd be easier to get blood out of a stone, and far more probable. I've bribed a major on his staff to shoot him in the battle"?
7. Who is planning to marry the Duke of North?
8. Why does Lear, in an aside, tell his daughter the workman is being executed?
(a) Because he's hired by Cornwall.
(b) Because he's really a traitor.
(c) To make the workers work faster.
(d) Because his hut is unlivable.
9. What does the Wounded Soldier see before he dies onstage?
(a) His wife.
(b) The ocean.
(c) The moon.
(d) The stars.
10. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A wild bear.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A wolf.
11. Who maniacally encourages the torture of Warrington?
12. Who shoots the workman in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The Firing Squad.
13. How have Lear's daughters had contact with the dukes?
(a) Letters and photographs.
(b) Visits with the dukes in the castle.
(c) Through servants.
(d) Secret meetings.
14. Who does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear has left him, and "wanted a horse to take him to town"?
15. What happens to the captured soldier in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) He is hanged.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He joins the rebels.
(d) He is freed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advises the king to refuse the war?
2. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Who asks to stay with Lear in his cell?
4. Why does the Old Orderly come into Lear's cell?
5. Why doesn't the Old Orderly know Lear's crime?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)