Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
(a) He's in love with his wife.
(b) He works for the army.
(c) He wants to steal the water.
(d) He's spying on them.
2. Why does Lear insist his enemies hate him?
(a) He has built a wall.
(b) He killed their fathers.
(c) He has starved their people.
(d) He has taken their kingdoms.
3. Which character says, "I feel confidence in my bones. That's never failed me. If only I were a young man" in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Fontanelle complain about in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Her feet are wet.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) She doesn't approve of the wall.
(d) Her hands are cold.
5. What does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the soldiers are doing?
(a) Dying en masse.
(b) Deserting his daughters.
(c) Searching for Warrington.
(d) Pulling down the wall.
6. Which character says, "They are my sheep and if one of them is lost I'd take fire to hell to bring him out"?
7. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
(a) A soldier.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A ghost.
(d) A wild bear.
8. What happened to the gift Fontanelle was given as a child?
(a) It was set afire.
(b) It was bludgeoned.
(c) It was shot.
(d) It was given away.
9. Why does the Boy say his wife is upset?
(a) She's pregnant.
(b) She was raped.
(c) She's crazy.
(d) She's been tortured.
10. Who shoots the workman in Act 1, Scene 1?
(b) The Firing Squad.
11. Why doesn't the Old Orderly know Lear's crime?
(a) The fire killed the judge.
(b) He was brainwashed.
(c) The records were lost.
(d) He died.
12. What gift from her childhood does Fontanelle remind her father of when she stands trial against him?
(a) A cow.
(b) A bird.
(c) A horse.
(d) A dog.
13. Why does Lear, in an aside, tell his daughter the workman is being executed?
(a) To make the workers work faster.
(b) Because he's hired by Cornwall.
(c) Because his hut is unlivable.
(d) Because he's really a traitor.
14. Who claims he has been blind for seven years on the stand at Lear's trial?
(c) Old Sailor.
15. What does Lear find on the ground in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) A sword.
(d) A dead soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have Lear's daughters had contact with the dukes?
2. Who is the first to sit on the witness stand at Lear's trial?
3. Whom does Lear accuse of betraying him in court?
4. How does Lear order the workman killed in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Who enters carrying bread and water in Act 1, Scene 5?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)