|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kalf Asgeirsson?
2. What does Gudrun construct detailed plans to achieve?
3. What does Thorkel try to buy?
4. What happened to all of Gudrun's husbands?
5. What does Halldor give Bolli?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final prophecy regarding Gudrun?
2. Describe Ingibjorg.
3. When Kjartan refuses a gift from Bolli, what ensues?
4. What is Gudrun willing to offer Thorgils and in exchange of what?
5. When Kjartan and Bolli arrive in Norway, what does King Olaf do to Kjartan?
6. When Thorgils stays at Helgi's estate, what does Helgi do?
7. What does Gudrun do out of a desire for revenge and jealousy?
8. Describe Gudrun and Thorkel's relationship?
9. What does Helgi do to Gudrun?
10. What does Bolli do that surprises Kjartan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the onset of the saga, the medium Gest has four prophecies, all of which come true. It would appear that Gudrun has little choice in her life if it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Gudrun's life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyone's life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice, discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the Laxdaela Saga. The characters travel through Norway, Iceland, Scotland and the Faroe Islands. Which areas do they settle in and why? Which do they leave? What is the overall setting for most of the story? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular cultural events. Why did the author choose to use these places?
Essay Topic 3
Politics are also referred to in the Laxdaela Saga. Discuss the use of politics in the saga. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could the author incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)