|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are at the estate that Thorgil seeks sanctuary?
2. Who is furious that Gudrun is getting married?
3. Who finds Gudrun bearing a child after killing Bolli?
4. Who does what he can to heal the conflict peacefully?
5. Where is the man that Snorri chose for Gudrun to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Thorgils Holluson.
2. After Kjartan dies, what happens to Hrefna?
3. How does the family feud end?
4. What does Thorgend do to avenge Kjartan's death?
5. What happens to Gellir in the final chapters of the book?
6. Describe Snorri the Priest.
7. How does Gudrun extricate herself from marrying Thorgils?
8. What evil act does Snorri the Priest commit?
9. What mysterious statement does Gudrun say about her love for her husbands and what does it mean?
10. Describe Ingibjorg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of chivalry. Identify at least two themes about chivalry in the Laxdaela Saga. Then cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for the Laxdaela Saga. The characters travel through Norway, Iceland, Scotland and the Faroe Islands. Which areas do they settle in and why? Which do they leave? What is the overall setting for most of the story? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular cultural events. Why did the author choose to use these places?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the Laxdaela Saga. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)