|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the magical present that King Olaf gave Kjartan that is later stolen?
2. Where does Gellir die?
3. What does the Norwegian princess give Kjartan?
4. Whose dream unfortunately has come to pass in Chapters 41-50?
5. When Bolli and Thorleik reach Norway, what do they find out King Olaf has accused Thorkel of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final prophecy regarding Gudrun?
2. Describe the conflict leading to Helgi's death.
3. What does Thorgend do to avenge Kjartan's death?
4. What does Olaf the Peacock do after Kjartan's death?
5. What happens to Gellir in the final chapters of the book?
6. What does Kjartan discover when he returns to Iceland and what does he do in response?
7. After Kjartan dies, what happens to Hrefna?
8. Describe Ingibjorg.
9. What does Gudrun do out of a desire for revenge and jealousy?
10. What is the prophecy about Thorkel and how does it come true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of life-death-life. Identify at least two motifs about life-death-life in the Laxdaela Saga. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Melkorka. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Melkorka's character in the Laxdaela Saga?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two female characters in Laxdaela Saga. What are the main differences between Gudrun and Hrefna? Which made the better wife? Who loved Kjartan more and in what way? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)