|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rides off to find Hardbeinsson by the end of Chapter 60?
2. What will Gudrun give Thorgils in return for his actions?
3. Who are two men that part of Thorgil's group?
4. When Bolli and Thorleik reach Norway, what do they find out King Olaf has accused Thorkel of?
5. From what family line is Thorgils descended from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the final prophecy regarding Gudrun?
2. How does the family feud end?
3. What ugly fact about Gudrun's personality is revealed through the death of Kjartan?
4. What is the prophecy about Thorkel and how does it come true?
5. Describe Thorgils Holluson.
6. Describe the conflict leading to Helgi's death.
7. How does Thorgils get the help of other soldiers involved in Bolli's death?
8. How does Gudrun extricate herself from marrying Thorgils?
9. How does Gudrun's plans relate to her son?
10. Describe Gudrun and Thorkel's relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two female characters in Laxdaela Saga. What are the main differences between Gudrun and Hrefna? Which made the better wife? Who loved Kjartan more and in what way? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the Laxdaela Saga. Discuss the use of politics in the saga. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could the author incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in the Laxdaela Saga. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family of most Scandinavian families living today in Iceland? Do some research to assist in your writing.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)